arduino transport control

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice!

For your next project, please do a readout of either MTC or MMC, and control a relay by this. Use relay to switch off talkback and reverse-talkback whenever daw is in play or record  ;D

and oh, remember to post code!

Jakob E.

Nice... code please! would be nice for me!

BTW, mega2560 seems too much for this app, doesn't? I'm not thinking in change it for a smaller arduino but adding a lot of other futures... I use logic too and have an arduino mega so it would be for help for me for the conectivity with DAW, I don't know how you do it but I also don't know how I'd do it other than midi.

JS

mulletchuck said:
LOL i ain't tryin' to do all that!  Readout meaning...?  like an LCD showing bars/beats/ticks?

Naa, I mean just read the computer's internal midi TimeCode/MachineController, and use it to control talkback switching. It would come in quite handy for session recording - we had such a thing wired to the tape machine controllers in the good old days...

Jakob E.

you can't just read the MTC/MMC.  In logic, you have to tell it on a per-project basis to transmit that information to a specific MIDI port in your MIDI setup. 

Joaquins, the MEGA is complete overkill for this lol, but it's the only arduino I have.  I originally bought it so I could develop a mic robot that worked over WIFI (Wifi Shield) and was controlled via a plugin in the DAW or an iOS app.  I got as far as getting the 4 motors to be controllable via telnet.  Never bothered to develop the app or design the frame for the mic robot.   

we had a similar project in a class but end in nothing... I was in charge to do the controller that was designed but dead waiting the guys doing the machining... We decided to do a 2 axis as starting point, but as I said, nothing happened, nice tool to have for a guitar cab or a snare.

JS

mulletchuck said:
you can't just read the MTC/MMC.  In logic, you have to tell it on a per-project basis to transmit that information to a specific MIDI port in your MIDI setup. 

Aah - makes sense then that no one did this before. Im my old (windows) system, MTC was a single global system variable, relatively easy to read out

Jakob E.

gyraf said:
Naa, I mean just read the computer's internal midi TimeCode/MachineController, and use it to control talkback switching.

That sounds interesting. So what would it "unmute" in between playback or record takes or something? Seems like you could do something similar without timecode by dropping marker-like messages on some track, using any unused port/channel or unused note/message data, and having the controller keep an eye out for it. I made a PIC one that looked for a JLCooper record light message once. It worked well,  but I never ended up routing it to anything. If you're just looking for transport status, you can pretty much pick any random brand of supported control surface (or MMC?) and make something that watches for whatever messages it uses.

Take Care

mulletchuck said:
as you can see, it works pretty well!
No, I can't see anything. Are we supposed to subscribe and install a new app designed for exacerbating the emotivity of the intellectually-challenged every time a member wants to publish a picture or a video?  :eek:

gyraf said:
Very nice!

For your next project, please do a readout of either MTC or MMC, and control a relay by this. Use relay to switch off talkback and reverse-talkback whenever daw is in play or record  ;D

and oh, remember to post code!

Jakob E.

Gyraf,  does this mean that you would like two (DPDT?) relays that are activated whenever the transport is stopped or not in record. or skipping ahead or back. During which time talkback would remain active but shut off automatically when the recording was going (could turn on a record light too . another relay?).

Mulletchuck, is the arduino code aware of the transport state? (moving, record/not) Can we see the code?

Latest posts

Back