Where to get started with this? Mapping, sensors, etc

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbira

Hi folks,
I'm coming to you because I don't even know where to start. I am realizing that I need to start hanging out with people much smarter than me because I know what I want to do is possible, but I don't know anyone that can tell me where to begin.
Long story short, I lead a Zimbabwean style marimba band that mixes that music with Electronica using DIY midi triggers and live video projection. I build all the instruments myself. I really want to take things to the next level with much more seamless video mapping integration. Seeing the work of Trentemoeller's crew , Skrillix's crew, and this: http://www.botndolly.com/box and all the other amazing stuff is very inspiring.
What I want to do:
Have several shapes built from cardboard or plywood, etc. I'd love for those shapes to not be only square or rectangle.
The shapes would always generally be in the same place on the stage every day, but there will be small shifts from day to day as the band is in different venues. My thought is that we'd have sensors on the corners of each shape and have those sensors be able to be read by the computer in a way that the sensors have a fixed number-IE one shape has the corners where each sensor is always 1, 2,, 3, and 4, etc....
Then have a method of scanning the sensors in space to see where they are on the stage (IR sensors?). Then you could have subtle or even massive scenery changes and just automatically map to the changes.
The above video shows this obviously already exists.
But I'm a guy that know some PHP, and has build some guitar amps and synths, etc....I don't know how to make the leap from my current knowledge to what I want to do.
So I need to either team up with some awesome people that already know how to do this and are willing to share, or learn myself, or a combination.
Any advice on where to start?

well-That's kind of like saying to build a tube guitar amp, decide what tubes to use and build an amplifier stage and slap on a speaker.  ;-)  I use arduinos for other stages on the project.  When I look at this:
http://www.botndolly.com/box
I don't think they're just using arduino's. ;-)
But in seriousness.  breaking it down, it seems like there are a few ways for automatica mapping:
1)using projected scan lines on the surface and having sensors pick up the scan lines and adjust - this seems to be a little older technology and requires the adjusting has to be done in good projection light (in the dark) and to readjust you need to rescan.
2) Using an IR camera attached to the projector that is interacting with IR sensors or tape on the objects and then senting that to the computer for real time adjustment
3) having hardwired sensors that are tracking in space and sending that info (I have no idea how those sensors would work-accelerometers, etc?)

This can be done with jitter (from Max/Msp/Jitter).
The easiest thing would be to have a video camera above the stage that registers some color for each shape, then the shape of the boxes doesn't matter is long as there is a bit of a particular color that can trigger it. There are definitely other ways but my brain is sort of fried. The cycling 74 jitter forum is a great place to look.
Btw, Joel, i'm a fellow Austinite originally. We met at Copa during sxsw a few years ago and talked diy and mbiras, I think we're mutual friends with Michael Shay.

Eno started that in the 80's, inna a very slow stylee, using TV's video light sources that displayed on different canvas shapes.  I spent an hour in his Swarovsky exhibit and the environment was more complex than the setup. What about starting with some simple PC projectors doing something similar.  Quality projectors are getting smaller and cheaper every month.  The more the images move the less the screen/projector have to move.  Then you can do what you want in the PC.
I am not getting the sensors aspect.  You have all sorts of sensors available.  Is it like you would want to have XYZ sensors on mallets control the rhythm of video images?  Or have a musician dance with an image in tempo?
Mike

The sensors are so that the projection only happens within the bounds of an object.  Check out the video I posted above to see how there needs to be a sensor on the corners of the canvas for projection tracking....

I get the video, and figure they spend a hundred grand easy to do a high-tech industrial version of what a magician does with clothing, props, a mouse, and a dove.  Low five figures for hardware/software/time and talent will get you a cheesy version that will not impress.  I'm suggesting that you at least start somewhere reasonable with the visuals.  If you are shooting upwards, who cares if the video washes over the edges into stage black?  If it has to move have the source move with the screen in one assembly.  Commercial and corporate AV have interesting value priced products that you can incorporate without breaking the bank.  I've heard, from friends of course, that people are often not sober at electronica shows, so a little will go a long way.  Minimalism with maximum effect is always more entertaining anyway.  Think of the local haunted fire house vs Universal Studios Orlando.

For an entry into robotics, what about some kind of marimba-playing robot kinda like Pat Metheny's instruments but with some "heart" for a live setting.
By the way, how did you get on with the color trigger-marimba?  There are fantastic LED products introduced since you were planning that.
Mike

Latest posts

Back