SPECTRA SONICS 110 help please

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doty

i am really new to this but i have been giving a older radio console from a local radio station. upon opening it up to see whats inside i was pretty pleased to find out therer are about 8 spectra sonics 110 cards in it. i have heard you can turn these into some pretty sweet preamps but i have never tried such a thing. i could really use your help in trying to rack a few of these up into some preamps. i feel this might be a easy start in the world of DIY, being the card is already done. i have a one sheet that breaks down the specs of the card, i will post in this thread. i would be more than happy to take pics of my progress if i can get this off the ground. i have been a lurker for quite awhile and now am very excited to try to rack something up. thanks in advance for any help.

jason

Hi,

I haven't got any schems or info on the 110 cards, but if these cards are still in the console pretty much everything you need to know will be there already if you're prepared to do a bit of learning and a bit of hunting. Before you get the screwdriver and wire cutters out, examine the layout of this console. What inputs are there? Are they transformer coupled? Are they unbalanced? Are there any attenautors or level faders? Where are they- before the preamp or after the preamp? Is there a power supply? If not, is there a connector for a power supply? How many terminals?

etc.

If you can work out a rough block diagram (or at least describe the input/output situation), and maybe post some pictures, you may find out a bit more info than you'd imagine even without a schematic.

:thumb:

Mark

Hi Doty,
I have a spectrasonics console. it has 114 preamp cards. I have some hand drawn schematics. when I get back from vacation i'll post em.
Peter

thanks for the help i will bust out my digital if i get stuck. i did find someone with the schem and a product sheet explaing how to conect these things up. i have heard these things make killer preamps. i dont think i will end up using all 8 so if anyone wants to trade a couple of complete boards i might be down. :grin: just pm me and i will send you a pic. i will also if interested try to document my first adventure into DIY building of sorts.

doty

If you look at a 110 card unplugged with the shallow cut-out (on the edge where the edge connector pads are) at the top, the pin outs are as follows (from the top/shallow cut-out) to the bottom (larger cut-out).

1 and 2 are blank
3 is negative 24 VDC (-24 VDC)
4 is Input +
5 is Input -
6 is Ground
7 is Output +
8 is +24 VDC
9 is Feedback out
10 is Feedback point for gain set resistor (feedback return)

The gain set resistor is connected between pins 9 and 10. Gain/resistor values are as follows...

40 dB gain Rf= 10.7k
45 dB gain Rf = 20k
50 dB gain Rf = 42.2k

The Input impedance of the 110 card is FIXED at 600 ohms (it's a grounded base input amplifer) and the feedback return impedance is 100 ohms.

I hope that helps you a bit.

Cheers,

Hi, newbie here... :mad: Please forgive the lack of experience..

I just acquired 8 ss 110A cards, 2 triad A67j inputs and 6 hs66.  I've been through all the spectrasonics posts I can find on this forum, but can't find a x-former wiring diagram and I don't have a scope.

I've got everything wired to the connector as described in this forum and have an 18k resistor between 9-10.  I'm running bi-polar 24v from a JLM ac/dc that works with my ez1290.

I'm tapping on my mic and almost get a little signal when I hit it hard enough.

I've got a67j wired for 600 on pri. and secondary, 3 tied to 4 on hs66, 1-6 in, 7-12 out.  I've swapped a few cards but they all do the same thing.

Does anyone have transformer wiring info on this setup? 

Thank you

vitopower said:
Hi, newbie here... :mad: Please forgive the lack of experience..

I just acquired 8 ss 110A cards, 2 triad A67j inputs and 6 hs66.  I've been through all the spectrasonics posts I can find on this forum, but can't find a x-former wiring diagram and I don't have a scope.

I've got everything wired to the connector as described in this forum and have an 18k resistor between 9-10.  I'm running bi-polar 24v from a JLM ac/dc that works with my ez1290.

I'm tapping on my mic and almost get a little signal when I hit it hard enough.

I've got a67j wired for 600 on pri. and secondary, 3 tied to 4 on hs66, 1-6 in, 7-12 out.  I've swapped a few cards but they all do the same thing.

Does anyone have transformer wiring info on this setup? 

Thank you
I have the same problem and question. I have 2 Spectra sonics cards hooked up with Triad A67-J transformers on the input and JLM go-betweens, and Jensen transformers on the outputs. I thought I had it wired right, but I am getting no sound from a mic. I do get a power thump if I turn them on/off the if still hooked up to a speaker. I  wonder where i have gone wrong and I have read all the spectra sonics threads. Can anyone here  tell me how I should have hooked up the A67-J 600:600 incase I am missing something?

Latest posts

Back