SIMPLE MACHINES and/or CLEVER TOOLS

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
I thought it might make a nice diversion to talk about how things we take fro granted work.

A short list of basic machinery are;
the wheel,
the lever,
the inclined plane
the pulley
the ??

More complex machines include things like gears, but they are just variants on levers where a gear ratio is similar to lever lengths.

I might be interesting to inspect the science behind some simple machines.

#1-
The simplest I can think of, and I haven't even seen one in years is the old "church key" aka beer can opener.   
300px-Churchkey01.jpg

The key to the key is leverage... a force amplification occurs thanks to the leverage, or relative lever length of handle vs piercing end , or opening hook. The cap opener end reminds me a little of an auto-former since the two levers extend from the same fulcrum point, while the piercing end has a proper long and short lever distance. The piercing tip is perhaps a variant inclined plane, some form of force multiplication occurs due to to the concentration of force on the small tip end. 

additional simple machines to inspect;

#2-  can opener: My old cheap one recently finally wore out after several decades. I doubt the new one will last as long but i paid around $1 for it. Gears, levers, piercing knife edge, etc. 

#3- wheelbarrow: besides the interesting name there are some interesting things going on with center of mass when you tilt up the handles, etc. These are designs hundreds of years old, that persisted because they work. 

#4- dough hook? Like how does that work?

#5- don't make me do all the work. we are surrounded by simple machines that make our life easier. (Hint tuning lugs are an inclined  plane wrapped around a cylinder. )

(fill in all the empty space_)

JR

> A short list of basic machinery are;.... the ??

The list is typically:

1.Lever
2.Wheel and axle
3.Pulley
4.Inclined plane
5.Wedge
6.Screw

This is bogus.

Pulley is a Wheel.

Screw is a wrapped wedge.

And the HAMMER is not mentioned!!

Hammer concentrates a long low-force effort into a short high-force effort.

Hammer is The Basic Tool.

From cracking mastodon skulls to breaking Ford balls.

Perhaps this is a modestly sophisticated machine, but I'm often amazed by how ubiquitous the key/lock has become in our daily lives. From opening doors to starting cars.Incredibly reliable too!

When I think of "machine" I think of a system that is made up of more than one part.
So hammer, wheel, toothpick wouldn't apply. What is a tool and what is a machine?

How do we want to define, "machine" for the purposes of this conversation?

Ethan said:
When I think of "machine" I think of a system that is made up of more than one part.
So hammer, wheel, toothpick wouldn't apply. What is a tool and what is a machine?

How do we want to define, "machine" for the purposes of this conversation?

That is a good question... The textbook definition of machine suggests multiple parts and energy input. A hammer has a head and a handle. I guess a rock is not a machine.

I lean toward machines that multiply or convert force. The cylinder lock certainly has utility and has proved that by it's persistence.

Works for me... I like locks.  ;D

I even have a lock story or two but won't waste bandwidth.

JR

pucho812 said:
Simple machine, what about a fishing pole that does not have a reel? A wood pole with a string tied to the end and a hook tied to the string.

There is definitely something going on with a fly rod, vs a stick and string. Energy from swinging the pole, bends the rod and then when it snaps back it accelerates the line.. Similar technology to a bull whip where the tip breaks the speed of sound.

Probably a lever-ratio thing with the diameter of the small move versus the larger end of the pole and string.

JR

I went back and changed the title to include tools.

The church key is a one piece tool involving levers.  A crow bar a simple level.

I guess it is archaic to think of levers or ramps as machines.

Most good tools have more going on than first inspection reveals..

PRR said:
And the HAMMER is not mentioned!!

Hammer concentrates a long low-force effort into a short high-force effort.

Hammer is The Basic Tool.

From cracking mastodon skulls to breaking Ford balls.
Gentle application of sledgehammer is THE most important Engineering Technique.

Knowledge of this arcane art is what separates us engineers from the unwashed masses.  We use it to tame the forces & spirits we summon to do our bidding.

Ok what about a divining rod? It's a tool and a machine. The simple part is the rod itself; but since the user is a person that is complicated, therefore a machine, and arguably an indispensable aspect of the act of divining, the whole apparatus rod + user = tool/machine?

Or are metaphysical apparati not allowed?  ;D

Phrazemaster said:
Ok what about a divining rod? It's a tool and a machine. The simple part is the rod itself; but since the user is a person that is complicated, therefore a machine, and arguably an indispensable aspect of the act of divining, the whole apparatus rod + user = tool/machine?

If you are willing to expound on the scientific principle... Like detecting the ambient magnet fields altered by conductive underground water flows.  ;D ;D

JR

Another simple machine "scissors". Combination of levers and knife edges.
=====
Then there is plunger. Two step process where first it seals off the end of the drain pipe, then pressurizes it.

I used both plunger and scissors recently.

Caution, being green and using less water flow in the shower can lead to dirt precipitating out and clogging the pipes with sediment. From looking at what I sucked back out of the pipe with my plunger a lot of sand and soil from me doing yard work, did not travel very far down my drain. After a couple days of plunging the tub had a few inches of muddy brown/black water. The clog was far enough down the pipe that pressure from the plunger in the bathtub drain caused water and bubbles in the sink.  :'(

But lots of boiling water, and patience (several days), and lots of plunging to slosh the water in the pipes around finally broke it loose.

I resolve to use more water flow in my future showers, especially if dirty after yard work. 

JR

PS Another quasi-tool is gloves. A good pair of leather work gloves improved my grip, increased the contact area, and avoided blisters from the several days of repetitive plunging.

JohnRoberts said:
Phrazemaster said:

If you are willing to expound on the scientific principle... Like detecting the ambient magnet fields altered by conductive underground water flows.  ;D ;D

JR
what he said.

Phrazemaster said:
JohnRoberts said:
Phrazemaster said:

JR
what he said.
But I was kidding...  8)

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Phrazemaster said:
JohnRoberts said:
Phrazemaster said:

JR
what he said.
But I was kidding...  8)

JR
Half joking half serious. It sounded plausible. But in order to explain it better one would have to understand how the human mind can be sensitive to such fields...and then I start to hijack your thread! Sorry; interesting topic! :)

Marik said:
Pulley puller
A trick name.. sounds like the machine is pulley, but it's a screw or inclined plane wrapped around a cylinder.

Using pulleys we have the mechanical advantage of block and tackle.
===

How about dent pullers? :)

JR

Phrazemaster said:
Half joking half serious. It sounded plausible. But in order to explain it better one would have to understand how the human mind can be sensitive to such fields...and then I start to hijack your thread! Sorry; interesting topic! :)

I am not looking for a soliloquy here, i want to get the group talking about something that could expand our minds, not politics that tends to close our minds.

Re: animals detecting magnetism, I have read reports that homing pigeons had some organ in their head that detected magnetic fields and they used this for homing/direction finding.

I am not aware of humans having this capability, and not real sure that pigeons have it. .

JR

Back