Andy Peters

Re: DDA S Series Mixer
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2017, 05:39:16 PM »
I would like to know if the insert send (jack output) could be used like a direct out (not cutting the signal path) ?
If there is a direct out on the board it might be possible to wire it to a female jack socket added on the back of the desk ?

I assume this has a single TRS insert jack with send and return on the one jack.

The easy way to do this is to make a special cable. TRS plug on one side, TS on the other (it's unbalanced out anyway). Use a standard guitar cable (single-ended, center conductor plus shield). On the TRS side, connect both tip and ring to the cable center conductor. Sleeve goes to shield of course. On the other side, Tip goes to center conductor, sleeve goes to shield.

TRS side plugs into the insert jack.  When you do this, the tied-together Tip and Ring shorted together acts exactly like the jack without anything plugged in (tip shorts to ring).
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band"

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2017, 06:04:56 PM »
Hello,

This is not an unique i/o insert jack, there is an insert "sent" jack and another insert "return" jack, separated.

L´Andratté

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 01:54:20 AM »
There´s also the sowter 7026 which is a good 1:1 200R:200R transformer (very high end) which I have installed in my little Soundcraft B100. Works really well with the typical differential transistor input. Not cheap though.
Strictly amateur since 1973...

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2017, 07:29:01 AM »
Hello,

My first questions were "I would like to know if the insert send (jack output) could be used like a direct out (not cutting the signal path) ?
If there is a direct out on the board it might be possible to wire it to a female jack socket added on the back of the desk ?"

Maybe a mod in order to send post-fader signal to "insert send" might be good for studio use, any ideas ?

Andy Peters

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2017, 01:23:05 PM »
Hello,

This is not an unique i/o insert jack, there is an insert "sent" jack and another insert "return" jack, separated.

You should be able to use the insert send jack as a direct output without affecting the rest of the channel operation. It's when you plug in a return that the link between the pre-insert stage and post-insert stage is broken.
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band"

tchgtr

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2017, 02:39:45 AM »
You should be able to use the insert send jack as a direct output without affecting the rest of the channel operation. It's when you plug in a return that the link between the pre-insert stage and post-insert stage is broken.

Absolutely. I have done this on my own with very good results.
Resistance is not futile. It is voltage divided by current.  (thanks, Bill)

tchgtr

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2017, 01:37:29 PM »
I also wanted to add to this thread that there are two different versions of the S Series boards, and the channel strips are NOT interchangeable between them, at least not without some major fiddling.
They can be distinguished by the number of FX and Foldback sends, and one connector has a different numbers of pins than the other.

tchgtr

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2017, 01:02:52 PM »
Here is an album mixed through this DDA S Series mixer:
www.jimwright.bandcamp.com