Ozone vers. L2 Waves

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fazer

Anybody have both?  What do you think.  I have a L2 waves demo.  ARC sounds much better to me than an L1.  Ozone has some raves these days.  What do you think?    I know I should demo ozone  but just asking for opinions.

Michael

Different things... I like the multiband on ozone, and some othe cool stuff, nothing wrong with the maximizer. I use L2 in all my mixes at the master in order to get up the level and listen to the mix with some agressive compression that would be added later in the master, the mixes end up prepared for agressive master then and have a nice level to export as is to the client has a decent listening level. If you have to choose one, maybe ozone is more complete, has more options, then you could use the maximizer inside of it for this prupose, and you shouldn't have big difference... I use L2 and it works nice, is fast to set and not a heavy plugin at all. I've also used ozone wich is a bit heavier, takes some more time to set but it's also nice. As multiband I always like the ozone.

JS

The L2 isn't too bad. I use it regularly for quick client mixes after tracking to get it up to level. It's also pretty cool on drums. Not my go-to mastering limiter or anything but it gets the job done reasonably well.

Ozone has a lot more to it, which is great for mastering but overkill for client mixes. Endless tweaking on this one unlike the L2.

Both are good for their uses but I wouldn't say interchangable for everything.

Also checkout the Massey Limiter. More options than the L2, less than Ozone. Nice and transparent and very reasonably priced.

Thanks, for reply.

My fav mastering limiter was TC multiband and TC brick wall  limiter. I had it at a place I use to work at.  I have Bx XL and use it but for the fast client mixes, I  L1 and Maximum .  I think L1 when pushed to hard gets a nasty distortion to it, Like all things pushed to hard.  I recently picked up waves gold and found a lot of the plugs useful in a 2009 kind of way.    I downloaded L2 trial which I never had before and really liked the ARC control for bringing up level in an effortless way with a more relaxed bass sound.  I'm not crazy about living in a 4db crest factor but find I want to make the mixes play somewhat as loud as current productions.  It kills me how loud a Mark Knopfler Cd plays and how open it sounds. ( Great music , Great musicians, Great songs ,Great engineering.)  I picked up L2 and will consider Ozone or something else for mastering down the road.  I like to send the mastering out just to get someone else in the loop when budget allows.

I use Voxengo Elephant. I like it a lot. I've been using it for years. It's cheap too. I haven't checked out some of the more modern alternatives but I haven't flet the need to either.

Using Ozone in Intelligent mode (doesn't matter if int. 1 or 2) on fastest setting "clipping" will smoke L2 any day. I once did a limiter shootout with all the waves stuff, ozone and some other limiters and Ozone happened to beat them all (pretty easily even). Logic's Adaptive Limiter came second place.

McDSP ML4000, lot of useful parameter, not friendly on first use, but Waouuuuu!!!
L2 for Tv mix is perfect
Ozone is really good for music, but ML4000.....

We have ML4000 at work. It's on my list as is ozone. I mostly use ML4K to reshape the library music track around voice and dialog.  It is confusing the first time you use it but very powerful.  I temp at work and when I'm there I have multi spots to kick out so I tend to stay with plugs I know.  L360 is used a lot but we are doing everything to -24 Dolby media meter 5.1.  Not like music I do at home.

Voxengo Elephant is VST or needs a wrapper I think to run Protools? Pt 10 and 11 are picky.  Lots of people have mentioned that one before.  I notice it does 5.1 now.  Thats great for post.

Back