Official 251 point to point on Acrylic build and support thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The C-12 tube position is virtually Identical to a real C-12 it was my intention to emulate the original circuit as close as possible on the Apex mic not to make "so called" improvements.
As for the 251 in this case the grid wire is similar length to the C12 which I don't feel effects the sound in any negative way also I left space at the top of the board for those who wish to incorporate relies for pattern switching. The C12 and 251 do have different noise floor but this is due to the Biasing differences rather then the length of the capsule to grid wires. I hope it's clear now that all design choices were made intentionally  8)

very nice build I did some 250 clones point to point and I finally used 100M instead of 30M with tim's capsule and I used a ecc801s instead of a 6072A

Tims capsule is certainly beautiful sounding! So natural almost like a ribbon but with a lovely lift in the air band frequencies ! I want another two!! ;)

OPR said:
Tims capsule is certainly beautiful sounding! So natural almost like a ribbon but with a lovely lift in the air band frequencies ! I want another two!! ;)

That's a great way to describe Tim's capsule. I really notice the air when I have the mic in front of an acoustic guitar--all the string detail comes through. The C12-style mic with Tim's capsule is the best I have for a certain acoustic guitar sound.

On my voice, though, it sounds smooth like a ribbon mic. If I want something with more presence in the upper mids for vocals I reach for a mic with a K47.

Goes to show that there is no one mic that can do it all--so, you need to own several different mics! (Wow, I sound  like I'm on Gearslutz or something….)

On my voice, though, it sounds smooth like a ribbon mic. If I want something with more presence in the upper mids for vocals I reach for a mic with a K47
I know what you mean! as I was A/B ing with a china K47(not fair comparison!) last night which has the nice presence thing for vocals but sounded weird on acoustic guitar next to the C12. I only want another two Ck12 types because the 251 is cathode biased and the capsule direct coupled to the grid which shapes the sound in a very different way to the C12 circuit.

I have been eyeballing the Thiersch M7 capsules at the moment....OK I'm a Mic addict too:eek: I guess once you gain the knowledge an resources to build incredible mic's for a fraction of the cost of the originals, the addiction takes over!!  ;) 

Here's a new Ep from a local Australian band that used my point to point  251 with Tim's CT12 on vocals I believe they also used my point to point C12 on drum overheads.
Enjoy!!

http://kalacoma.bandcamp.com/

a0049858828_10.jpg

Yet another single from another local Australian band Mayfair Kytes that also used my point to point  251 with Tim's CT12 on vocals I believe they also used my point to point C12 on drum overheads amongst other things.

Enjoy!!

a2024565024_2.jpg

http://wondercoreisland.bandcamp.com/track/seasonal-thaw

I would like to buy this kit,it looks ace man.
Been to your website but no mention, so thought I'd try contacting you here.Love the guide you posted I got a CT12 coming from Tim. Can't wait to get building !
Nelly

OPR said:
Hey Nelly,
I do have a few set left if you interested shoot me an email at [email protected]    ;)
There's a great new release dare I say masterpiece album "Animus" by an Australian band Mayfair kytes that exclusively used the 251 clone for main vocal duties check it out!

https://mayfairkytes.bandcamp.com/album/animus
Mayfair+Kytes+colour+low+res+Mar+2016.jpg
Excellent ,thank you so much for reply....this build looks so down my street...old school stylee.
All these PCB's and fiddly bits.....this is solid, huge connectors, robust, this is how electronics was, when I was young boy taking apart broken radios....there was a magic about the circuits, full of strange looking and shaped parts.... I have got it bad!!! Lol
That I don't get off pcb's and micro circuits...robotic mass produced....no Soul man.

Have emailed you.    Now I'm buzzing with anticipation.
Nelly Slide Guitar

Whats the score with PSU modding ?

Paid for Alctron 11 on Ebay, just had receipt from shipping saying Apex460,They are same same right??
(So power supply comes with it.)
Is there a link I can follow....any advice welcome.
I know .this is the dangerous bit..be careful...I will ...not keen to test it myself ,unless got really thorough instructions.
Thanx Nelly

The Apex 460 is the same thing ;) The psu Mod is simple just a matter of swapping one of the 75v zeners to a 47v to get the B+ down to 120 volts and connect a nice film bypass capacitor across them, 3.3uf  200 volts works to remove any noise/distortion from the zener regulated supply. 
Cheers
Mark

nelly said:
OPR said:
Hey Nelly,
I do have a few set left if you interested shoot me an email at [email protected]    ;)

Excellent ,thank you so much for reply....this build looks so down my street...old school stylee.
All these PCB's and fiddly bits.....this is solid, huge connectors, robust, this is how electronics was, when I was young boy taking apart broken radios....there was a magic about the circuits, full of strange looking and shaped parts.... I have got it bad!!! Lol
That I don't get off pcb's and micro circuits...robotic mass produced....no Soul man.

Have emailed you.    Now I'm buzzing with anticipation.
Nelly Slide Guitar
Just checking you got this message.....I sent email,  let me know when you ready to Roll !! A top build I reckon man.
Thanx Nelly

P.S. I read your above thread on PSU..Looks straight forward.I could still do with a photo guide ideally.Is it the same PSU mod as other build threads.I've seen few on apex PSU mod  ,or is there any components that are unique to this build ?

Back