Microphone Impulse Response files

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebra50

Hi!

I'm not sure how many of you are using deconvolution reverbs like TL Space or Waves IR1. But for those who are, I have uploaded a bunch of impulse response plots measured for some vintage (mostly ribbon) microphones.

http://micirp.blogspot.co.uk

Let me know if you find them useful!

Stewart  ;)

Thanks! I'll download these later tonight.

I'm curious what the best application would be for this - Maybe record the source with a measurement type mic and then apply the IR for the purest result.

I wonder if it would tear the fabric of space and time if you recorded with one of those mics and then applied the same IR to it...

Stewart, could you also upload an impulse response of your Source speaker using a good reference measurement omni like B&K 4133 or 4191?  But a Behringer ECM8000 will do at a pinch especially if you've got an early one.

What distance do you measure at?  1m is good but you need some space for that.

Presumably you use the same Source speaker and have the mikes in (including the reference B&K) in EXACTLY the same position & distance.

Hi Ricardo & Adeptus. Thanks for looking.

There is a bit about the testing method here...
http://micirp.blogspot.co.uk/p/about-micirp.html

RCA44_testing.jpg

>could you also upload an impulse response of your Source speaker
As I understand it, Fuzzmeasure automatically corrects for the calibration mic. But I will try to dig out the calibration sweep(s) in case you want to play further with the processing.

I use a Beyer measurement mic, which is probably mid-way between the B&K and the Behringer. I should probably invest in a B&K, but they are a lot of money!

>What distance do you measure at?  1m is good but you need some space for that.
Around 30cm. At 1 meter I have too many reflections. So we see some proximity effect, especially with the ribbon mics. It has been suggested that I should do this outside, but those who have visited Yorkshire will know why we don't. ;)

>... EXACTLY the same position & distance.

Yes. I have a ridge of foam either side that I line the mic up with. But…. we don't always know exactly where the capsule / ribbon sits within the mics.

It is far from a perfect system, and for me the biggest problem is comparing a figure-8 ribbon which doesn't see the sides, with an omni measurement mic, which does. I have not found a satisfactory fig-8 measurement mic, and I doubt that one can exist.

>I'm curious what the best application would be for this.

Whatever sounds good to you! You can call it modelling of vintage mics if you want, but I thing it is just another way to process your sounds and have fun, just like other IR reverbs.

>I wonder if it would tear the fabric of space and time if you recorded with one of those mics and then applied the same IR to it...
Do it!  :)

Finally, my motivation to make these available was because several parties asked for them and even offered to pay. I could not pick one over another so decided to give them away.

:)

zebra50 said:
>Stewart, could you also upload an impulse response of your Source speaker using a good reference measurement omni like B&K 4133 or 4191?  But a Behringer ECM8000 will do at a pinch especially if you've got an early one.

As I understand it, Fuzzmeasure automatically corrects for the calibration mic. But I will try to dig out the calibration sweep(s) in case you want to play further with the processing.

I use a Beyer measurement mic, which is probably mid-way between the B&K and the Behringer. I should probably invest in a B&K, but they are a lot of money!
I'm not a rich Mac user so have no idea of how good Fuzzmeasure is.

You need to use the reference measurement to calibrate out the source AND apply the measurement mikes calibration too.

The reason for B&K is I believe their calibration curves  ;D

The cheapest way to get a B&K reference mike is to buy a 4133 or 4191 capsule off eBay (making sure it is undamaged and still has its calibration curve) and make your own 200V preamp (what the capsule screws into)  Les Watts at MicBuilders can advise as he's done exactly this.

From reading the Fuzzmeasure blurb, they are using Prof Angelo Farina's exponential sweep method.

I developed the theory for this in the early 80's for production testing of speakers for response & THD in the theoretically shortest possible time but the computing power and particularly good A/Ds were too expensive for what we wanted.

When I emerged from the bush after more than a decade, I found computing power in the cheapest laptop was more than sufficient and good A/Ds could be got cheaply though you have to be careful what you use.

I can now make better measurements in my shed than I could using anechoic etc in the 90s using my DOS version of Angelo's method.

Alas, my software requires Windoz98 and the machines that do this are now dying.  I'm presently using XP to run VirtualPC to run W98 to run DOS for my own software.  Redmond will stop support for XP next year so I'm stuck.

I've tried to move my software to a modern compiler but 2 decades is a long time to be away in software.  I've been thwarted twice cos the machines I can afford off eBay died after labouriously loading da humungous modern compilers.

If you've got Fuzzmeasure, you can get better measurements down to about 200Hz in a domestic room.  The ceiling height sets your limit.  Below that, you can do good omni measurements cos your measurement mike is an omni but if you know what you are doing, you can get good estimates for cardioids & fig-8s too.

Read the Clio manuals to understand quasi anechoic measurements.

Also have a look at Cooktown Recording & Ambisonic Production's facilities in my Yahoo MicBuilders Group Files.

If you post a reference measurement using your Beyer, I can do some anechoic frequency responses.  Got a calibration curve for your Beyer?

Do you have any contact with York Uni and in particular, David Malham of the Music Dept. who's just retired?  He's an Ambisonic Surround Sound guru and has one of my mikes.

A little off topic.  I have been using Ubuntu 12.04 and wine to run LT Spice after my about 9 year old XP machine motherboard stopped working.
I have not got around to loading this and trying it
http://www.dosbox.com/information.php?page=0

Also there is http://www.freedos.org/
I have not tried this

Alas, my software requires Windoz98 and the machines that do this are now dying.  I'm presently using XP to run VirtualPC to run W98 to run DOS for my own software.  Redmond will stop support for XP next year so I'm stuck.
I've tried to move my software to a modern compiler but 2 decades is a long time to be away in software.  I've been thwarted twice cos the machines I can afford off eBay died after labouriously loading da humungous modern compilers.

What is the software written in? If you were willing to post it, you could get some help converting it I bet.

dmp said:
What is the software written in? If you were willing to post it, you could get some help converting it I bet.
All my serious work is in TurboC 1.5 with a bit in MathCAD & MATLAB.

It's actually the graphics routines from TurboC 1.5 which I need.  If you print any of my curves and hold them up to the light, you'll see they are precisely the right size & shape to compare with B&K 2307 response curves .. ie response curves as God intended.

All my serious work is in TurboC 1.5 with a bit in MathCAD & MATLAB.
It's actually the graphics routines from TurboC 1.5 which I need.  If you print any of my curves and hold them up to the light, you'll see they are precisely the right size & shape to compare with B&K 2307 response curves .. ie response curves as God intended.

Maybe an experienced programmer could convert your code to something modern in a short amount of time. Something that works across platforms, like QT.
I was looking at this site the other day, which I thought was interesting. I did a search for TurboC.
http://fiverr.com/aleon3/programming-turbo-c

Latest posts

Back