Changing mic capsule

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

synthi

Hi People,

Newbie question here:

I just got a CK12 capsule and I want to use it in my Tbone STC800 tube mic.

Are there any kind of consideration for the job? The STC800 is a fixed cardioid pattern single capsule I think, the CK12 is dual capsule, how for wiring this?

Thanks!

Synthi

Just wire the two wires going to the cardioid-only capsule to two of the four spots to hook up on the CK12. If you're looking at a clamped CK12 (the old one), it should be obvious where to hook up. The new (teflon) CK12 has four spots to solder a wire to. Connect the two backplates together (they are the two centre posts - they connect with some fine-gauge wire to the inside of the capsule), and connect that to the wire that went to the original capsule backplate. Connect the old diaphragm wire to the ring terminal hanging off the diaphragm clamp ring. Don't overheat the capsule when you solder these - you could wreck the diaphragm if you get it too hot.

I am not familiar with the circuit of your mic, but if it has the U87 or U67 EQ section, you may need to modify it, as the CK12 is a flatter capsule than the K67 or K87. The teflon CK12 was set up to be used in a cathode or source follower mic without any EQ in the electronics, unlike the K67 or K87.

Thanks Dale!

I have the teflon CK12 FYI. Then I must conect the backplates together and use only one of the ring terminals, right?

What If i connect the rings togueter? fig 8 pattern?

Best Regards,

Synthi

If you want Fig-8, then connect one backplate to the other's diaphragm and vice-versa. If you get the backplates mixed up you won't get sound so if that happens, swap the two backplates.

I`ll do!

The capsule was 148 Euros for AKG Spain Distributor.
I get it thru a friend who have a couple of old 414s, he told was a replacement for one of his mics and he sent AKG the serial number.

Best Regards,

Josue.

If you're doing any capsule wiring( like to a switch), make sure the wires are separated - the capacitance between the wires (and the case) can cause wierd things happening if you're not careful here.

Measure the voltage going to the resistor divider and calculated the capsule voltage.

I have two china tube microphones that use 100v on the capsule. A CK12 capsule might not work right if the capsule voltage to high.

AKG CK12 capsules like to see 60volts but I've used some modern ones at 80 volts without problem.

You may be disappointed by the sound of the AKG. They tend to sound a little duller and more midrangey than many chinese capsules.

Latest posts

Back