1176's: Can we make them... even FASTER?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remsouille

I've been recording drums with my EZ1290 pres and my 2 mnats Rev A 1176's  this week-end  8). Good drums, good mikes, good pres/comps/converters and especially great drummer: it sounded amazing!!
I like my drums squashed, I like my snares flat, 'à la Sardy'! 1176 are fast, if not the fastest, but it seems I always have to saturate my overheads post-comp to get rid of those damn transients poking through the mix... I'm okay with that, I love saturation, but I'm still wondering if there is not a way to make those 1176 EVEN faster, like "you shall not pass" fast :p! Any ideas?

BTW: I bounced some drums from this week-end, listen to them here:
https://soundcloud.com/tentacledrecords/drums
Kick is AKG D12>EZ1290>1176 (medium attack and fast release,4:1, about 4 db of GR, slight cut at 350Hz), mono overhead is Coles 4038>EZ1290>1176 (fastest attack and release, 12:1, about 5 db of GR, slight shelf at 10KHz), into my brand new Antelope Orion32 et voilà!!
Drums were Tama Starclassic 26"x16" kick and 16"x16" tom, and a 70's 6,5" Ludwig Black Beauty !

gyraf said:
Depends on your taste - I find the 1176 attack quite too fast at it's slowest already :)

Half the value of C27 for halving time constants

Jakob E.

So if halving C27 halves response times, what trickery they use in the 1176AE to get 10ms? They just put a bigger capacitor on the switch?

Back