The Version 9 Green Pre

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consul

Hey, Peter!

I saw the picture of the latest Green Pre rev, and it looks fantastic! I was wondering though... It looks like the PCB artwork is still for the older rev. Do you plan to release the new artwork soon? I wouldn't mind making a few of these.

For the benefit of everyone else:

http://1176neve.tripod.com/

And scroll down a bit. :wink:

That's exactly what I was wondering myself.

I'm not trying to prod, or beg, or whine. I'm just curious, because the new layout looks sweet and very DIY-friendly. The Green is known as being an easy-to-build clean and transparent pre, which are always good to have around.

The Green is alive & getting better with each prototype........

I've had to modify the meter section considerably & I thought that I had made the ultimate Green last nite until I built it & realised I had flipped 1/2 the meter section only.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :oops:

So I'll be doing another proto (Version 12) tomorrow nite. The meter now goes from -40 to +20 so it covers the range from signal indication to just below clipping.

There will be boards made & Gerbers available.

EDIT : I'll also post the PCB design (jpg./gif.) as usual on my site.

The saga continues. Patience is a virtue - I'm talking about mine here, it takes 2 nights to redesign, etch, drill & build a board.

But it is being done.

Regards
Peter

BTW England 2 : Others 1

I can't seem to find an answer to this, but I'm sure it's been answered a million times somewhere. Is the Green Pre based on anything? What type of design is it? Is it a simple opamp design like a Mackie or something?

Hmmmmm... At no point do we want to make this searchable for copyright reasons... do you follow my drift?

So.. reading between the lines...

The green is a transformerless design by a chap named "Nepert Roove". It's from a console produced by a company known as

Always My Esteemed Keith. the console was named after Wolfgang Amadeus Moz-rat.

...enough clues for you? :wink:

Keith

Gotch-ya! :wink:

Anybody know roughly how much it might cost to make one? I'm certainly interested...

Thanks!

Jay :green:

[quote author="SSLtech"]Hmmmmm... At no point do we want to make this searchable for copyright reasons... do you follow my drift?[/quote]Does it violate copyright/patent laws to post what a DIY pre is based on? :shock:

Patience is a virtue - I'm talking about mine here, it takes 2 nights to redesign, etch, drill & build a board.

Peter,

That's all? :green: It took me 2 nights to design and build a board for a pot. :shock:
Well, it did have 2 locating pins in addition to the three terminals.

:guinness: :sam:

[quote author="SSLtech"]The green is a transformerless design by a chap named "Nepert Roove". It's from a console produced by a company known as

Always My Esteemed Keith. the console was named after Wolfgang Amadeus Moz-rat.
[/quote]

Keith,

I don't know why, but I assumed that the Green Pre was based on the Langley modules, not the RN modules. I thought all of RN's designs were transformer coupled.

Cheers,

elco

[quote author="soundguy"]shit, if all of RN's designs were transformer coupled, I would have bought an amek...[/quote]

Well, for the price we paid for ours back in the day, they should have had transformers!

To be honest, I never really peaked under the hood. We got rid of it before I got bit by the bug.

elco

I don't know why, but I assumed that the Green Pre was based on the Langley modules, not the RN modules. I thought all of RN's designs were transformer coupled.

There was a cct in the manual (which I did not get) called a TLO (Transformer Like Output AFAIK) which simulated a transformer?... Sorry to be so vague, it's been a while. Maybe Keith has more info.

Peter

V12 looks good on the bench, I'll be trying it in the studio this week for those final checks.

Before I put this onto the Black Market, who'd be interested in PCB's for the project? Just a quick survey at this stage.

They will be Single-sided, solder masked & legended, size is 210 x 77. The layout is the same as the pic on the front page of my website. Integral 4 LED meter, switches for Phase, Phantom & High Pass & PCB mounted output trim. The only p[art offboard is the switched gain control.

Cost will be $US 10 each, air mail shipping will be $US 10 per 4 boards.

Peter

Latest posts

Back