lab/drawing board confusion

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I think that those two threads belongs here because they are not talking about any specific or tested DIY project. It´s just about tubes, ransformers and electronics in general. I see the lab as a place for things lie "what should I build as my first project?" or "My SSL does´t work!" or "LOOK at my ultra super hybrid totally transformerless mic pre pics"... and things like "can I wire transformers in parallel?", "calculating bias point in transistor stages" or "what do you think of my new ultra super hybrid totally transformerless mic pre SCHEMATICS" should find your way to the Drawing Board... As you can see, if you want to show pics of your finished ultra super mic preamp, I think that he Lab is the place to go, but if you want opinion and analyses about your new ultra super mic preamp and tyou will post schematics for discussion, I say The Drawing board is the place for this.

I think it´s very well defined and the division is working quite well. Will there be a grey line somewhere? Yes, off coarse it will, but it should not be enought to cause a mess in the forum.

Don't worry about it too much. I think most of us have a general idea for what to post where. Even though there are some topics that might crossover to both forums, just post wherever your think it is most appropriate, and if the topic drifts to one side more than the other, it will be moved by one of the moderators. It's not a big deal. Aiiiiight?

I just think that when you talk about transformers and tubes in general will lead to electronics theory and ideas, and probably new info, schematics and experiments. So, that´s why I think it belongs to the Drawing Board. It´s not like saying, "Anyone have info about UTC A40?"... You are NOT talking about teransformers in general. It will not lead to electronics discussion. If you have it, you can help, if not, you just can´t... So, I say it belongs to The Lab.

Another example:

One thing is to talk about Cathode Followers in general. Like "determining output impedance of cathode followers" or, using power Tubes for cathode followers". These threads will probably lead to electronics theory, and MAYBE new idease. Cathode followers are old, not anything new about it, I still think this belongs to the Drawing Boad. Transformers are also old, but if I´m talking about transformers in general, like ransformer theory, how to make inductance bigger and capacitance lower, etc, I´m talking about transformer DESIGN and construction, not CLONING or FINISHED PRODUCTS. So, I would post those in the Drawing board. But a thread like "cathode follower output stage of Pultec MB1", I would post in the Lab, because it´s a finished design or a clone I´m talking about. I´m talking specifically about THIS finished, working, tested, classic schem, like the GSSL, the G1176, the PRR varimu, and the many many other projects we keep taking ald helping people to BUILD. That´s what I think the Lab is all about. BUILDING and SHOWING our finished projects, or TROUBLESHOOTING projects that are KNOWN to work. But I see still another line in here. If you have a new schem that you´ve drawn and it´s not working (NOT because you can´t ground it right, or you have a short somewhere), but because you think there is a design flaw somewhere, I think the Drawing board is the place for you to bring this new schem, show, and ask for opinions about the DESIGN...

The Drawing Board
The Drawing Board is the place to discuss electronics theory, design, and nurture new ideas. The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors and not of Prodigy Professional.
Moderators Ethan, PRR, gyraf 72 1068 Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:39 pm
Ethan
The Lab
The Lab is the place to discuss specific projects and troubleshooting. The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors and not of Prodigy Professional.

Enought for me.

[quote author="buttachunk"]i'm not trying to be picky, but it seems like there should be some rules instead of a vague determination that something is 'new'.[/quote]

No, you are not being picky. I think that if you have a problem about the division, you better bring it up, like you are doing :thumb: . I hope I´m not being the picky here. I´m just expressing how I see this, as I like the division and voted for this, and I see no problem with this. This is clear in my mind what belongs where, so I hope you agree, or let me know if you think in a totally diferent way...

But I think this place just got better, and IT´S ALL GOOD :cool:

But if you ask me, I DO think this thread belongs to the LAB, as it talks about specific transformers from EDCOR:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=5421

But not the subminiature thread. This must belong to the Drawing Board in my mind.

[quote author="rafafredd"]I DO think this thread belongs to the LAB, as it talks about specific transformers from EDCOR[/quote]

I think it belongs here, as specific transformers are not "specific projects and troubleshooting"

Peace,
Al.

I don't want to get bogged down with this what to post where paralysis.
I post where I see fit. If the admins think it is really in the wrong place they can move it.
Don't turn this place into a Nazi camp. I come here to share ideas, not nit-pick about policies.

Tamas

Latest posts

Back