PRR-176 REV 4 Build Thread ***Manual up!***1/16/14 - (chk 1st post)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abechap024

Here is the Manual!

www.acsoundstudio.com/manuals/PRR_REV4_BUILD_MANUAL2.pdf

:)

Thank you guys for bearing with me while I got all this stuff organized. Sorry to leave you all hanging for so long.

My brother and I have been working on something that I think you all will enjoy, and hopefully will speed up and simplify the building process on your alls end to make up for lost time ;)

Here is a preview:

Build Butler!!  (click on the little box in the left corner)

In a few weeks we will have a Build Butler for the PRR-176 also. :) If your anything like me, sometimes you'll be looking at the board for 10 minutes, for that last 10k resistor! While it can be fun, like a game of were's waldo, Build Butler should hopefully make the building process a little more streamlined :)

Here is the BOM and Wiring guide for the PRR Rev4, the information is all there but hopefully I can make them more pretty in the coming weeks:

BOM and schematics, wiring guide

More info to come, sorry for the mistakes...also the stupid discrete opamp footprint is messed up, you will have to install the discrete opamps from the bottom of the pcb. But the Api style opamps I included have the same kookie footprint and will fit fine (they can simple be inverted to work in another projects correct discrete opamp footprint) Thanks again for the patience everyone. Hopefully this is a good build for all and results in a lot of fun in the studio. I'll try my best to help and answer questions.
Thanks!!

Just got the boards in! Look great, small chip on a corner thy occurred during shipping but other than that I'm very excited. Can't believe how big this bad boy is!!! Thanks Abe! The wait was so worth it.

referencing the rev4 board against the rev 1 and 2 BOM the output pot value has changed from 100k to 10k. will 100k still work for this? I only ask because I had already made stepped input and output switches before I received the boards 

I'd be very interested in seeing a changelog between the Revs. I looked a few times at the group buy thread but never saw anything definitive. I'm about to finish my Rev.2 (finally!), but the expensive stuff is still movable, so if it's worthwhile I could grab one of your extras...

druu said:
Where did the white market thread go? Still no boards! How much longer do we have to wait?

Yeah, I found it a bit disconcerting when the the white market thread disappeared!

Still, the way I look at it is:

- boards seem to have arrived with some people stateside just a few days ago, so clearly an ongoing process.
- it's the holiday period, so Abe might be busy with other stuff...like you know...celebrating!
- I got in fairly late, so I expect to be at the end of the queue.
- if people are just getting theirs now in the U.S. then I expect the U.K. to take a little while yet.

Obviously can't comment on your particular circumstances, but might be worth taking a deep breath and coming back to check up again in the new year... ;-)

Merry Christmas!

Kaz

I understand that he's been crazy busy with work lately.  He's been moving his studio, fixing a bunch of gear, and engineering for a local performing arts center that tends to do a bunch of shows around the holidays. On top of being a new dad. I'm sure he's stretched pretty thin.

If things start getting Igor-ish with the wait, I might be able to step in and help him send some boards out, assuming they haven't been sent yet.

I've been thinking about switching the inter-stage trannies depending on use. I'm using Cinemag on the first position and I want to switch between Edcore for recording and Lundahl for mastering. Is it possible to do this with a DPDT toggle switch on the primaries of the inter-stage transformers?

Maybe I should rephrase the question. Is passing audio thru a DPDT toggle switch advisable? I imagine it is not. What would be a better way of doing this?

Hi
I want make a stereo mastering version
Can I use use one of this to control both input?
This:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DALE-23-Step-Attenuator-Volume-Potentiometer-Dual-10K-/221104440332?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337ada040c

Or this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DACT-Type-21-Stepped-Attenuator-Volume-10K-for-PreAmp-/190849415908?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item2c6f82fae4

and same but 100k as output?

What is the best solution?

Thanks!!!

ilfungo said:
Hi
I want make a stereo mastering version
Can I use use one of this to control both input?
This:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DALE-23-Step-Attenuator-Volume-Potentiometer-Dual-10K-/221104440332?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337ada040c

Or this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DACT-Type-21-Stepped-Attenuator-Volume-10K-for-PreAmp-/190849415908?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item2c6f82fae4

and same but 100k as output?

What is the best solution?

Thanks!!!

I would use the first one but you dont need a dual deck unless you want 1 set of controls for your compressor, mastering units tend to have separate controls. I made my own input and out put switches with dale resistors for about $50 US.

still waiting to hear if 100k on the output is okay

Latest posts

Back