GSSL Gyraf Parts-Links and Help - Half Built

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micah421

Hello Everyone! I just received (as a Christmas gift) a half built GSSL Type 4000 Compressor.

HERE IS WHAT I HAVE:

1. Case
2. VU
3. PCB (largest) some parts have been soldered in
4. PCB (GSSL SIDECHAIN HIGH PASS)
5. PCB (Ratio_Attack_Release) a few components have been soldered in
6. PCB Turbo (Expat Audio)
7. PCB CRC (Expat Audio)

So my guess is someone found it too challenging and just quite. I've been looking on the web to possibly find what parts I need but I'm a little overwhelmed with all the fragmented info. Also and quite comically every time I find someone who posted a parts list for Mouser or DigiKey, the link is dead. I guess its also important to understand I'm in the US.

I was wondering if you could help me with a build of materials from Mouser or DigiKey....or just anything to help me.

Thanks so much for any help

Micah

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    988.3 KB · Views: 220
micah421 said:
Hello Everyone! I just received (as a Christmas gift) a half built GSSL Type 4000 Compressor.

HERE IS WHAT I HAVE:

1. Case
2. VU
7. PCB CRC (Expat Audio)

So my guess is someone found it too challenging and just quite. I've been looking on the web to possibly find what parts I need but I'm a little overwhelmed with all the fragmented info. Also and quite comically every time I find someone who posted a parts list for Mouser or DigiKey, the link is dead. I guess its also important to understand I'm in the US.

I was wondering if you could help me with a build of materials from Mouser or DigiKey....or just anything to help me.

Micah

First, you can read the parts values on the silk screen,  make your own list of what to buy and get it at any electronics shop.

https://pcbgrinder.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_69&product_id=51 - BOM

Second, you will want to clean up the pads on the GssL PCBs before attempting any soldering. If you leave out these things too long, they start oxidating, and this looks like its been left out a very long time.

Third, make sure to check the soldering work already done. The image is pretty low res, but it does not seem pretty.

Fourth, do not bother with the mods to start with - see if you can get the basic build working to keep things simple - then add modifications (if you even find a need to do so after hearing the unit in action).

Gustav

I few other things right off the cuff.

1. I am not sure what that is under the pcb but it looks like 2 Wima caps and I am not sure they belong there. You can get all the info you need at Gyraf's gssl page including BOM http://gyraf.dk/gy_pd/ssl/ssl.htm .
2. This looks like a rev 4 PCB so make sure you are working with the right schematics.
3. This looks like it was soldered for the older THAT 2150 VCAs if you are going to be purchasing newer THAT 2180/2181 type VCAs you need to modify the board accordingly. http://diy.fischerworks.com/gssl_vca.shtml.
4. Do not do the mods until you have a working unit.
5. The sidechain is the older PCB not the newer SSC PCB that Gustav has so you have to find the older BOM. Also I cant see the front panel but this sidechain might not have all the features of that front panel like TM and TL.
6. You have a VU meter installed and not an mA meter so you need to either get the correct 1mA meter or purchase a vu meter driver from expat or any of the other various vendors.

Merry Xmas and for goodness sakes use the search feature, all of this info is readily available including the BOM ;) . Don't forget to post in the appropriate thread. Enjoy your present :) I love mine, specially on the drum buss.

-Alain

I think you might have gotten the same set of GSSL boards I did... They are fine, the Wima caps are absolutely intended to be there and if you really carefully read through ALL of the GSSL forum info, you'd find all the answers to your questions... I can maybe help you out a little, since I'm pretty sure we may have the exact same revision and 90% populated circuit boards... Who did you get that from, first of all?

Esoterimix said:
I think you might have gotten the same set of GSSL boards I did... They are fine, the Wima caps are absolutely intended to be there and if you really carefully read through ALL of the GSSL forum info, you'd find all the answers to your questions... I can maybe help you out a little, since I'm pretty sure we may have the exact same revision and 90% populated circuit boards... Who did you get that from, first of all?

Hey thanks man! I got this for a Christmas gift, I believe my boss bought it on ebay, but thats just a guess. I believe I have looked ALL over the GSSL forum carefully and every helpful link is dead. The fact that you have the same version PCB board as me is GOLD. Someone stated above Wima chips looked wrong. If you have a BOM, Reciepts for your parts or any web links I would really appreciate it. A few people have offered but some of thier sources are out of business or do not ship to US. It looks like this particular build was really popular between 2003-2005. But many different versions and pictures of other builds just confuse me more, Ive noticed a few build pics where they left off certain parts of the PCB boards, others with VCA knobs that look way too long. My two previous builds were the MNATS Blue Stripe 1176 and I've built 3 Drip Pultecs, all very organized and simple for an idiot like me. Any help would be very appreciated

Gustav said:
micah421 said:

HERE IS WHAT I HAVE:

1. Case
2. VU
7. PCB CRC (Expat Audio)

Micah

First, you can read the parts values on the silk screen,  make your own list of what to buy and get it at any electronics shop.

https://pcbgrinder.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_69&product_id=51 - BOM

Second, you will want to clean up the pads on the GssL PCBs before attempting any soldering. If you leave out these things too long, they start oxidating, and this looks like its been left out a very long time.

Third, make sure to check the soldering work already done. The image is pretty low res, but it does not seem pretty.

Fourth, do not bother with the mods to start with - see if you can get the basic build working to keep things simple - then add modifications (if you even find a need to do so after hearing the unit in action).

Gustav

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

I'm sorry if I'm not that smart but isn't the link you posted for me for the "New GSSL" and not the one I have? The PCB board looks different to me. If I am correct could you email me the older BOM for any/all the PCB baords I have posted in my picture that your aware of, please and thank you. Also is there any instructions how to connect all the seperate boards togther would be amazing.

Thanks for the tip, I'll make sure to clean the boards before starting. I'd like to add the mods during my build, Im a all or nothing kinda guy....also I've read the mods really help with performance.

The Meter I have is ok right?

Thanks again Gustav, I really appreciate it

micah421 said:
Gustav said:
micah421 said:

HERE IS WHAT I HAVE:

1. Case
2. VU
7. PCB CRC (Expat Audio)

Micah

Gustav

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

I'm sorry if I'm not that smart but isn't the link you posted for me for the "New GSSL" and not the one I have? The PCB board looks different to me. If I am correct could you email me the older BOM for any/all the PCB baords I have posted in my picture that your aware of, please and thank you. Also is there any instructions how to connect all the seperate boards togther would be amazing.

Thanks for the tip, I'll make sure to clean the boards before starting. I'd like to add the mods during my build, Im a all or nothing kinda guy....also I've read the mods really help with performance.

The Meter I have is ok right?

Thanks again Gustav, I really appreciate it

The differences between the BOMs are very minor, and you will want to check what you're actually missing on your current board anyway.

As for the rest.

I am really not trying to be condescending or unhelpful. I am not exactly the most knowledgable person around here myself either, so even though things can come off harsh in writing, please take this as a strong desire to help you getting your boards transformed into a working unit.

You have a board that you are not able to finish up, you are asking for help putting parts together for it (already given in this thread!), but you still state that you are an all or nothing kinda guy.

While I can certainly understand why you would want to do everything in one magic stroke, you will have to learn a few basic things to do this, and it might be nice to see if you even need the mod boards apart from "reading about it".

Doing some reading to put the basic circuit together instead would be a great "first step". All the info to do so is already at your feet in this very thread.

I am afraid the result will be nothing (or the travel will be much tougher than needed), if you don't take it one step at a time from the starting point you're at.

So, check the silk screen to see whats missing - and get ordering!?

Gustav

Gustav is right... I purchased a partially populated GSSL that was from a few revisions ago... Although, they haven't changed all that much in the last couple revisions from what I can tell... It literally has taken me a month or two to really dig in to all the posts in the META... The hardest part for me was figuring out with resistors could be removed based on which VCA I am using. I have literally gone and bought the ART of Electronics and go to any lengths necessary to learn more, even if it has nothing to do with the project at hand. It is extremely rewarding to DIY, but it's also painstakingly tedious... When I started, I would stay up till I was so tired I could have easily burned myself on my iron, just so I could finish a project in one night. That worked exactly one time (surprisingly it was my first mic mod lol), a few projects later and I'm still learning but I'm much much more patient. I would bet almost anything the answers are right in the thread. I would show you my mouser cart but when I order things there tends to be a sh*t ton of random stuff in my invoices because I like to "multi-task" (or bury myself in resistors haha). Good luck, if I can help I would  be more than happy. But, the more specific you can be the better. Can you generally follow a schematic? Even if you don't know what each part does necessarily, could you follow it to see what is missing? Very tedious but it is a solution none the less, all be it a poor one :/

God, I just had flash backs of trouble shooting my first pre-amp for months, only to realize I burned out an IC... So, what do I do, go out and order three channel strips and try my hand at racking them up. All down hill from here, by that I mean uphill, by that I mean getting pummeled by boulders on the way up.... Sorry, it's 4am here and I have no business posting anything right now lol.

Oh, I just took a closer look at your PCB... It is the exact same... And, I think you might even be using the same VU meter... I might be able to help you a lil more than anticipated, just bare in mind this is DIY... and, to be frank, I'm a busy person as are a lot of people on this forum. Shoot me an e-mail and I'll break down some of the stuff I found when I spent days on end searching for info on the GSSL. And if you type "GSSL Meta" into the forum's search engine you'll find all the info you could ever need on the subject - I'm sure if I can figure it out, anyone that wants it bad enough can figure it out. Oh, and from what I understand, the forum member who originally soldered in those components is reputable so I would imagine those bypass film caps are for a reason - good or bad may be arguable. I suppose we'll see when it blows up in my face ha.

now that I'm done typing a novel - here's my email

esoterimix [at] gmail [dot] com

Everything needed for the VCAs is in Matt's article. It's not that difficult. You just need to pick your VCAs, look at the web page I posted for you, buy the 1 resistor for it, de-solder a few resistors not needed, look at the silkscreen and buy the appropriate components, get a or make a vu driver board and... Presto-cadabra. Everything you need to finish this is in what I posted. As far as connecting the boards together it will literally take you 5 minutes of searching. We are all here to help each other and answer questions but don't expect to be handed all the answers, all the info is in the search and in the silks. Start soldering, if you get in trouble ask in the appropriate thread.

The caps on the bottom aren't bypass they just don't fit on top, btw... the trimmers are all there because of the updates which are listed in order on Gyraf's site, and it's a rev 7 board as well... Now that I went back and looked at my own notes, the board is already almost done.... ha, figures... In my case, I'm using the TC 2180 VCA's so there's several resistors I should cut out too... we'll see...

Thanks everyone, things are starting to make more sense!

Thanks, I grabbed a few things from that BOM.

I found out what VCA's I need.

What I really need from this point is some "really good/decent" Switches/Pots(Threshold, Ratio, Attck,Release, Sidechain, Gain, Mode(turbo/gssl), bybass and power.

Power Transformer for US

GSSL Sidechain High Pass BOM (all links I found are dead)

2 of these but for what exactly?  652-PTD901-1015KB503 Mouser #

Ratio?  105-SR2511F-43FN Mouser#
Attack?  105-SR2511F-26FN Mouser#

Looks like my build would be similiar to this one:
http://www.lenham.clara.net/sound/GSSL_main.jpg
http://www.lenham.clara.net/sound/GSSL_front.jpg

Here is my case:

Attachments

• SC-GSSL.jpg
    SC-GSSL.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 45
micah421 said:
ding said:

GOLD!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!

Any chance you have the BOM for the Ratio Attack Release board?

I grabbed this from the sidechain thread but I am going to respond here for consistency. I'm trying to be as nice as possible and help you when I say this so please don't take this the wrong way. I am no expert. I have only built a few guitar pedals, a gpultec, a gssl and currently working on a few unfinished projects (another gputec and a prr compressor). I have no electronics background at all but the folks here have really helped me realize my projects. I have leaned a lot and read a lot in the process, here and online. It has been a lot of fun and a lot of rewarding work. This is an amazing community and here is what I have understood to be the ground rules, maybe I am wrong. This is not a forum for people to guide your every move and take you by the hand to build something. You will not find build instructions like you do on say Hairball (a great company and an awesome person  :D .) You are expected to work towards something, screw up, ask questions and learn some cool stuff in the process. Reading a silkscreen is a very valuable skill and a very easy thing to do. I and the whole community have already given you all the info to finish this project. Please show that you want to learn and not be guided by the hand.

1. Look at the silkscreen
2. write down the component values
3. compare them to the BOM in Jakob's website http://gyraf.dk/gy_pd/ssl/ssl_complist.htm
4. look at pictures online
5. hit up Mouser and search for the components
6. compare to see if the components look right
7. take a look at the gssl Mouser BOM on that thread to see if those components are already part of it

This kind of stuff is basic and you need to know how to do this. There are about 20 components on that board. Go ahead, give it a try. I promise it will be worth the effort. If you do people here will jump to assist you but if not, well you might never experience what GroupDIY is all about.

-Alain

ding said:
micah421 said:
ding said:

GOLD!!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!

Any chance you have the BOM for the Ratio Attack Release board?

I grabbed this from the sidechain thread but I am going to respond here for consistency. I'm trying to be as nice as possible and help you when I say this so please don't take this the wrong way. I am no expert. I have only built a few guitar pedals, a gpultec, a gssl and currently working on a few unfinished projects (another gputec and a prr compressor). I have no electronics background at all but the folks here have really helped me realize my projects. I have leaned a lot and read a lot in the process, here and online. It has been a lot of fun and a lot of rewarding work. This is an amazing community and here is what I have understood to be the ground rules, maybe I am wrong. This is not a forum for people to guide your every move and take you by the hand to build something. You will not find build instructions like you do on say Hairball (a great company and an awesome person  :D .) You are expected to work towards something, screw up, ask questions and learn some cool stuff in the process. Reading a silkscreen is a very valuable skill and a very easy thing to do. I and the whole community have already given you all the info to finish this project. Please show that you want to learn and not be guided by the hand.

1. Look at the silkscreen
2. write down the component values
3. compare them to the BOM in Jakob's website http://gyraf.dk/gy_pd/ssl/ssl_complist.htm
4. look at pictures online
5. hit up Mouser and search for the components
6. compare to see if the components look right
7. take a look at the gssl Mouser BOM on that thread to see if those components are already part of it

This kind of stuff is basic and you need to know how to do this. There are about 20 components on that board. Go ahead, give it a try. I promise it will be worth the effort. If you do people here will jump to assist you but if not, well you might never experience what GroupDIY is all about.

-Alain

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I get it, I was up until 3am last night comparing schematics of different revisions comparing them to mine, process of elimination ect ect. I'm currently spending countless hours building a cart on Mouser and comparing other BOM to the parts I actually need. I def feel like I'm putting in the work and learning in the process. I've built 3 Drip Pultecs and 1 Hairball 1176 all with great success. My plan is to gather up as much info as I can from everyone who is willing to help me with resources from 2002. Which are very hard to find, fragmented but I am starting to put the pieces together. I absolutely appreciate everyones help, seriously. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I feel like every question I have asked is apropriote and each answer from other users has help me get closer to knowing what I need to finish my project.

OK so I found out this kit(gift) was bought on Ebay. I contacted to get any info I could. He told me he bought the case from Dan DDT and Dan reccomend the meter he purchased. He was told that it does not require the VU PCB Card.  Can anyone verify that?

Also I need to add a resistor to the Meter I have according to this info:

Can someone please let me know what resistor I should buy and add to my VU Meter wiring?

Panel VU Meter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Panel-VU-Meter-TR-35-0dB-1-288V-35x35mm-LED-NISSEI-/140454866800?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b3c32f70

Part No. TR-35

Professional, high Class

dB : -20~+5dB

0dB=1.228V+/-10%, calibalated

DCR= 650Ω, If=450uA

Lamp : White LED x1pcs ,10~20mA (has no resistor inside)

Led Lamp voltage : 2.2~2.6V

So, you need the resistor :270Ω 1/4W ,if VDC=5V

390Ω 1/4W ,if VAC/DC=6.3V

1000Ω 1/2W ,if VAC/DC=12.6V

need external resistor,diode, capacitor

(if 1Khz 0dB=1.228Vrms,R1=470Ω,VR1=100Ω, or R1+VR1=500Ω)

To my knowledge this is incorrect. GSSL measures current this VU meter is voltage AFAIK. The GSSL needs a 1mA or 100uA FSD (Full Scale Deflection) meter. It deflects based on current flow, not a voltage difference. You can try to strap it to the output but you will just get levels and not compression.

ding said:
To my knowledge this is incorrect. GSSL measures current this VU meter is voltage AFAIK. The GSSL needs a 1mA or 100uA FSD (Full Scale Deflection) meter. It deflects based on current flow, not a voltage difference. You can try to strap it to the output but you will just get levels and not compression.

Awesome , thanks!

So does that mean:

I need a different meter?

or

I need to buy the VU meter card sold by Expat Audio?

Thanks again

Ok, after spending a tedious amount of time gathering all the parts up for the Sidechain Board that I have, I just found out that the case I have has the 8 points silk screened on the "Sidechain" area. Which means I need the "Super Sidechain" PCB.

This is what its all about :) ;)

micah421 said:
ding said:
So does that mean:
or
You need a different resistor for your If=450uA meter. Put a 4K7 trimmer, initial value about centered, in series to the on board 2K.
Ok, after spending a tedious amount of time gathering all the parts up for the Sidechain Board that I have, I just found out that the case I have has the 8 points silk screened on the "Sidechain" area. Which means I need the "Super Sidechain" PCB.
Spend some more time on gathering if you want a single or two super sidechainfilter PCBs when you have the turbo circuit on board as well (and if so, the switch needed to select settings for both filterboards simultanously).

Harpo said:
micah421 said:
ding said:
So does that mean:
or
You need a different resistor for your If=450uA meter. Put a 4K7 trimmer, initial value about centered, in series to the on board 2K.
Spend some more time on gathering if you want a single or two super sidechainfilter PCBs when you have the turbo circuit on board as well (and if so, the switch needed to select settings for both filterboards simultanously).

Thanks Harpo, the level of this just jumped up a notch or two.

Please take a look at this, does this seem right? I grabbed this from another page. Is the bottom of this picture represent a dual pole dual throw switch to either engage the Turbo or the GSSL?

Attachments

• GSSL_turbo_ssc5.jpg
    GSSL_turbo_ssc5.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 67
micah421 said:
Is the bottom of this picture represent a dual pole dual throw switch to either engage the Turbo or the GSSL?
Pic shows a DPDT switch (and the textblock below says its a SPDT switch).
You only need a SPDT for this switching function with one side audio either switching to the SSCF board input that connects to the Turbo or to the other side audio SSCF input that is always in circuit. Using a DPDT switch might come handy for displaying the switch status.

Latest posts

Back