Noob "New GSSL" BOM or Shared Cart

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ahrue

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I'm a noob. I've decided to take on the "New GSSL" as my first project. I decided to try to gather the parts myself rather than order the "kit", so I can learn a little more about the process. When I went to mouser.com, there were literally thousands of options for each component from Gustav's BOM. I was wondering if anyone has a current, more detailed BOM or shared cart from Mouser or anywhere else in North America? I want to learn as much as I can, but I was a bit overwhelmed as a noob trying to order parts for the first time.

Thanks in advance.

I really think you should be able to do it with the few tips I gave you by mail - but.

I might try to put together a Mouser BOM. I just did some shopping there the other day and realized, its possible to export and save carts. I was going to test it on a different project first, but if you get a cart going, I (and others) might be able to expand and correct it as we go along.

Gustav

Someone already shared one in the BOM sharing thread.

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=38690.0

Mouser cart and general BOM sharing is always a good idea. Hopefully that thread can get a bit more love in the near future.

Thanks for the help guys, you're very helpful. I'll attempt to put together a Mouser cart tonight, hopefully I'll have something to post tomorrow that you all can look over.

I would love to see a Mouser Cart for the GSSL as well! The link inside that thread above does not work.
Thanks so much

Micah

I'm in the us and I just tried it again and it is working for me. It is on page 2.  ;)  I'm not sure how accurate it is but I believe it's for Rev 12 "the new GSSL."

Here's my mouser cart. This is my first DIY project, so I'm sure there are some things that may be wrong or may have better options. I used Gustav's "new GSSL" BOM from www.pcbgrinder.com and cross referenced it with the Giraf GSSL Part List.

http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=9e1847fae5

The items below were either not in stock or I had no clue which item to put in the cart;

7 pcs ICsockets 8 pins
1 pcs ICsockets 14pins
3 pcs VCA sockets
3 pcs THAT2181B
2 pcs 5 way molex
1 pcs 10 way molex
2x15V secondaries power transformer
Fuse Holder
Fuse

ding said:
I'm in the us and I just tried it again and it is working for me. It is on page 2.  ;)  I'm not sure how accurate it is but I believe it's for Rev 12 "the new GSSL."

Thanks, I grabbed a few things from that BOM.

I found out what VCA's I need.

What I really need from this point is some "really good/decent" Switches/Pots(Threshold, Ratio, Attck,Release, Sidechain, Gain, Mode(turbo/gssl), bybass and power.

Power Transformer for US

GSSL Sidechain High Pass BOM (all links I found are dead)

Ahrue said:
Here's my mouser cart. This is my first DIY project, so I'm sure there are some things that may be wrong or may have better options. I used Gustav's "new GSSL" BOM from www.pcbgrinder.com and cross referenced it with the Giraf GSSL Part List.

http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=9e1847fae5

The items below were either not in stock or I had no clue which item to put in the cart;

7 pcs ICsockets 8 pins
1 pcs ICsockets 14pins
3 pcs VCA sockets
3 pcs THAT2181B
2 pcs 5 way molex
1 pcs 10 way molex
2x15V secondaries power transformer
Fuse Holder
Fuse

Ill reply here instead of by mail.

Switches are not PCB compatible, I would replace those with the Lorlins. - http://se.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=lorlin+pcb+switch

I dont know those potentiometers, but the picture does not look like something I would use. - No time to check datasheets for their alpha pots now, but some 16mm alpha would be nice.

The 0,47 tantalum caps are SMD parts.

I did not check all resistors, and something might have gone under the radar.

Mouser is extremely slow for me now, so Ill post my searches instead of getting the direct link to the parts I found.

7 pcs ICsockets 8 pins - Search "dip8 socket"
1 pcs ICsockets 14pins (dip 14 socket)
3 pcs VCA sockets use half of a dip 14 for each. Not sure they have sil socket
3 pcs THAT2181B THAT VCA
2 pcs 5 way molex - dunno
1 pcs 10 way molex - dunno
2x15V secondaries power transformer  -
Fuse Holder - panel fuse
Fuse - slow blow, I normally use a 500mA, but thats a little higher than actually needed.

Gustav

Hey everybody, first post. "New GssL" will be my first DIY project too. I was gonna buy the whole kit from Gustav, but I'm in the U.S, so Mouser BOM seems better. I just logged into Mouser and saved the project (from BOM sharing list) as my own, now I can see the U.S prices.

I'm thinking about building mine w/o Super Sidechain, but with Turbo and VU Meter boards. I read Super Sidechain isn't as necessary when you have Turbo mode. Also, maybe after this I'll want to build the Serpent kit, which has all the bells and whistles anyway.

Thanks for the email the other day Gustav. The cases and Super Sidechain all made sense after that. Maybe I'll order a SS board with the PCB in case I change my mind. I pretty sure I'm gonna go with one of Dan's cases. Those etched ones are really nice though, maybe too nice for my first build.

Gustav said:
I really think you should be able to do it with the few tips I gave you by mail - but.

I might try to put together a Mouser BOM. I just did some shopping there the other day and realized, its possible to export and save carts. I was going to test it on a different project first, but if you get a cart going, I (and others) might be able to expand and correct it as we go along.

Gustav

Any Chance you could share your Mouser BOM? Ive been building one the last few days but it seems like every time I take a step forward I take two steps back. I'm a bit confused as thier are so many options, for example on the switches, power transformers an pots. What exactly does 100R mean?

I will be ordering a Super Sidechain PCB and possibly a few other things. I feel like I've come so far understanding the pieces I have of the puzzle.

It looks like the VU Meter I have is the same one you sell on your site:
Requires a diode bridge and a 3.9K resistor to functionin VU mode

Is this ok for the resistor? -
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic/ERA-6ARW392V/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMukHu%252bjC5l7YfvTmG9VJYZ8COnxaQu4h7w%3d

Do you have any tips on making a "diode bridge"

Sorry one more question, I have Dan's DDT GSSL case. Does your "new gssl kit" plus Super Sidechain PCB work well in Dans case? Im tempted just to start from scratch but I still would love to try to build mine with the parts I have, seems like I can if I can just get the right parts.

Thanks so much for your time Gustav

micah421 said:
Any Chance you could share your Mouser BOM? Ive been building one the last few days but it seems like every time I take a step forward I take two steps back. I'm a bit confused as thier are so many options, for example on the switches, power transformers an pots. What exactly does 100R mean?

100R means 100 Ohms, and the BOM is already shared in this thread.

micah421 said:
I will be ordering a Super Sidechain PCB and possibly a few other things. I feel like I've come so far understanding the pieces I have of the puzzle.

i would, once again, strongly advice you to try to get the basic unit working before adding modifications.

micah421 said:
It looks like the VU Meter I have is the same one you sell on your site:
Requires a diode bridge and a 3.9K resistor to functionin VU mode

Is this ok for the resistor? -
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic/ERA-6ARW392V/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMukHu%252bjC5l7YfvTmG9VJYZ8COnxaQu4h7w%3d

That resistor could work, but it is an SMD component. You will want a through hole part.

micah421 said:
Do you have any tips on making a "diode bridge"

http://www.faqs.org/docs/electric/Semi/03263.png

micah421 said:
Sorry one more question, I have Dan's DDT GSSL case. Does your "new gssl kit" plus Super Sidechain PCB work well in Dans case? Im tempted just to start from scratch but I still would love to try to build mine with the parts I have, seems like I can if I can just get the right parts.

Thanks so much for your time Gustav

I am sorry, but I dont know Dan's case. I am sure it will be fine, but there might be some details I would not care about that you would care strongly about.

Gustav

micah421 said:
Sorry one more question, I have Dan's DDT GSSL case. Does your "new gssl kit" plus Super Sidechain PCB work well in Dans case?
I'm not Gustav, but I've looked at the various GSSL case layouts, and Dan's cases should be fine with the New GssL PCB. I would imagine both the PCB, and the cases on the market, are still using the original Gyraf dimensions, so everything should fit.

I'll chip in on this one. I'd love to see an up-to-date BOM for European suppliers. Mouser in the UK is not particularly cheap

The original compressor in the SSL 4000 centre section used SSL pots and a PPM to read gain reduction. It also used the standard SSL illuminated switches. I think Alan Smart built a rack version before SSL did and he kept the PPM and SSL-style pots & switches

The proper EAO switches SSL used are still available, at a price, from EAO. One model is the 01-281.025

S&J
http://www.scatts.co.uk/search.aspx?term=01-281.025&type=partno

The Sifam PPM is NLA - Sifam no longer makes a PPM movement which I think means no more moving-pointer BBC-spec PPMs. Hairball Audio in the USA has a very similar-looking blackface VU for $27. Unfortunately I think it will end up looking expensive by the time it gets to Europe unless there is a European distributor

Canford Audio Sifam
http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/3950/58-355_SIFAM-22AF-PPM-METER

Hairball Meter
http://www.hairballaudio.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=64

The genuine article is quite a compressor - I look forward to having one again!

Nick Froome

GSSL EXPAT AUDIO "TURBO" PCB BOM

Does anyone have the "Turbo" BOM on a Mouser Project they would like to share? I have the BOM but if I do a search in Mouser it gives me several different options and Im not sure which part is the correct one I need.

Thanks!

Micah

which parts are the one you are not sure of? Maybe I can help. Mouser and other parts suppliers always give you plenty of options in case something is not available you can use another compatible component. If you just type in the description on the turbo installation manual you should have plenty of parts to pick from that are interchangeable. Many of these designs are not picky about component types unless they specify so. for example C2 must be 22uf at 25v. by looking at the silk screen of the board you can tell it is an electrolytic cap that is needed. Lots of people here do long shopping lists and mix something small like a turbo board with a bigger project or two so they may have several hundred components in on shopping spree so it is difficult to figure out what is for what until you get soldering. This is my case so it would be difficult for me to go back thru my shopping lists and pick out what is for a turbo and what is for my super-side-chain, g-pultec and PRR vary-mu which I bought at the same time. good luck and maybe if you get a good mouser cart for the turbo card you can post it here for others to take advantage of.

micah421 said:
GSSL EXPAT AUDIO "TURBO" PCB BOM

Does anyone have the "Turbo" BOM on a Mouser Project they would like to share? I have the BOM but if I do a search in Mouser it gives me several different options and Im not sure which part is the correct one I need.

Thanks!

Micah

Is this the one you have?
http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=fe41c7b49c

Back