Sound Skulptor MP573

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erol

Hi,

Are there any Sound Skulptor MP573 users here?
Is it easy to build? Any tips for building it?
How's the sound and how do you use it?

I'm planning to send some line signals from my DAW trough the preamp for coloring/warming. Will this unit do the job?

Hi!
The assembly guides from Sound Skulptor are very good! look at their website, you can download those guides.
it is an easy build, if you know how to solder  ;)
I use the rack versions and they sound great. google for the neve 1073, you should get a lot of info about the neve-sound.
Chris

100WChris said:
I use the rack versions and they sound great. google for the neve 1073, you should get a lot of info about the neve-sound.
Chris

Thanks Chris! How do you use it the most? Can it "warm up" digital synths from my DAW? Do you own a pair? Also, I've noticed there's no output attenuate on the MP573 (like the Capi VP28). Don't you miss this?

irfrench said:
I have used mine at every single opportunity since I built it.  Simply it sounds GREAT!

Ian
:)

Hi Ian, same questions for you (look above)
Thanks again!

Hi erol!
They sound "neveish" :) larger than life, smooth high end... "warmer"? that´s not the word that would cross my mind here. If anything: "coloured"... not the cleanest unit. But they defiantly give you some "analog" feeling.
Signals run thru or recorded with a good analog pre (like the MP537) are easier to handle during mixing. EQs "grab" the signal and you generally don´t have to put as much procession on it. So i would recommend every (Home)-Recorder or ITB-Workers to invest in a good pair of analog preamps, it will make life a little easier – but that´s only my personal experience...
I have one unit, i use it to record bass, clean electric guitars, acoustic guitars and vocals. i ordered a second unit a few days ago, so i can use them for overheads... two 1073 with ribbon-mics is a great combination or overheads imo.
The rack-unit has an output pot, the 500-version has a trim-pot. i´m not sure, but i think the original 1073 only had a gain-knob...
The output-pad/pot is cool if you want to override your transformers, but that´s something i would likely do more with an 312, not an 1073.
BUT: i have no experience with synths and neve... so, i´m not sure if that´s the sound you are looking for.
BUT 2: sound skulptor pres are very good sounding units, they are cheap for what you get and it´s a lot of fun to build them.
Chris

Yeah they sound great. I have all the sound sculptor pre's and it definitely gets the most use. Not as clean as the mp5.99 but i prefer the sound on a lot of things. Definitely warm sounding

I've built a few kits for friends , the instructions are very good and complete , if you had any problems
jp will likely be able to get back to you in an email , solid quality all around .

Hi Erol, this is a very well designed and thought out kit. and a great pre. i'm very happy. i'll be building another one soon.
it sounds awesome on the saxophones in particular, really adds the warmth you mentioned.

ian

Hi

I have built the MP573 and it sounds really good. My only problem is the gain switch makes a
very loud pop when I turn it. Also, I have a bit of hissing which gets very loud then suddenly disappears
and all is well. I suppose it must be a cold joint somewhere.
Anyone else have the rotary switch popping problem?

Thank you Jean Pierre for your reply.
Yes, that is a vital thing to check and make sure of.

I have checked all joints/ components and have tidied up some soldering joints, also made sure all leads were clipped
short. Then, had a good clean of the PCB. I also put a bit of insulating tape on the resistor below the heat sink  near the side of the pcb.

It's absolutely perfect now and what a preamp it is. It has a big rich sound, warm, quiet and very musical-wonderful. Definitely getting the EQ for it.
Haystack

Hi, first post!

I'm thinking of building this pre. But when I look at this video it seems rather noisy (?) Are all 1073 like that, or just the MP573? Or maybe just his particular unit?

https://youtu.be/yzFRcmoCd20?t=596

Another vote here from me for the MP573, I liked it so much I built 10 of them (thanks Jean Pierre!!).

I had noise problems with the first one I built, which turned out to be the Heritage Audio OST-4 rack I was using. Once I ditched the OST-4, it has been very musical, quiet and the EQ is good too.

Only criticism I have is the link cable from the MP573 to the EQ could be better designed, it is easy to get the connecters bent and you have to be very careful plugging the linked modules into the rack...

Latest posts

Back