UA 1176LN re-issue bias update

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what happens when accountants run audio companies.... Astounding there are so many out there and no one has picked up on it. Thanks for the heads up WO'B!

Just ship it!
Don't make waves!
You get paid by the hour so whats the problem!!

you don't know how many times I use to hear that.
Thankfully, I work for a good company now.
:guinness:

hi John...

thank you for your great info..

why is the reissue buildt with 5% resistors and no 1% metal resistors ??

just to save a few cents ??
to get more closer to the "original" ??
maybe better sound ??

cheers,
mat

Both of my bloo 1176's use metal film throughout... with the exception of a few values..

Definately did not affect the sound of the box. compared to some UA re-issues...

Hey John maybe you can help sort this one out a bit:

way back in the day when I made my G1176 I was not getting enough gain out of it. some other people had this same problem. It turned out to be the way the o/p transformer was wired. leading up to this find, I was trying some other things to get the gain up. I stumbled across a different version of the line amp and used it. it seemed to add a little more gain. whats the deal with these two different line amps:

This one was the Gyraf version:

111.JPG

And this one was the one I ended up using:

112.JPG

I think the biasing of Q5 is different.

whacha think?

Yea I got a little more gain, 6db sounds right like john said. it still wasn't enough untill I wired the OP transformer differently.

as far as I know, jakob designed the G1176 as the 1176 rev. F

does anybody know what's the technically difference between the biasing of q5 at the rev. f and rev. k output stages... ???

jakob ??

I've just ended a couple of 1176, but seems it loose 3-4 dB of gain in bypass and more than 6 dB if it's on.
it seem always a little bit distorted (like overcompressed).
They loose 6 dB circa..
How can i modified It?
Is it a trafo wiring problem?
Please explain me better.. i've got an headache..

Back