Recommend a build for a first timer?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austee

Hello all,

I just introduced myself in the brewery and now have come to get my hands dirty. For the last week or so I have been reading this forum up and down, bookmarked every DIY supplier and parts supplier that I've seen or was recommend in these threads, and had to replace a keyboard on my mbp because of all the drooling. To be perfectly clear I have never soldered anything in my life or built any type of analog piece. I have designed/built plenty of computers, but that seems like a walk in the park compared to what I have seen. I have already ordered a solder gun and things of that nature that I have seen others use, but I am still in the dark here. I have some old motherboards that I plan to practice with for some time before I attempt a build and will research the basics of electrical engineering as well. I know I can do this, but for my first build I would really like to hear what you would recommend to get my hands dirty as well as some things to make life a little easier on myself when it comes to tools and such, recommendations? In a GSSL thread were a fellow asked a few questions it was pointed out that building a GSSL and getting it to work properly is kinda of like the "unofficial right of passage". So, is that were I should start? I have found the PCB's, supplies, and mods to the board, and there is a wealth of info for the parts... Is this were I should start? I'm so tired of using the digital comps and limiters(and eq's but I'll get to that later) on the digital consoles that I use in my local(live mixing) that, while I won't bring my name brand gear that I had to sell my kids for(and might sell if this works out), I will build my arsenal of comparable, if not better gear. I apologies if I am in the wrong part of the forum, just figured this would be the place to ask for a comp build. Thanks for any input or guidance.

Austin.

Hi Austin!

Imo, the Hairball 1176 with the awesome MNATS boards, is an incredible homerun.  It can be calibrated without a scope, and the documentation is really good.
I love mine a ton :)

Perhaps you need a bus comp more urgently though.  I've never done the gssl, so can't speak to that.

Best wishes for whatever you choose :)

andyfromdenver said:
Hi Austin!

Imo, the Hairball 1176 with the awesome MNATS boards, is an incredible homerun.  It can be calibrated without a scope, and the documentation is really good.
I love mine a ton :)

Perhaps you need a bus comp more urgently though.  I've never done the gssl, so can't speak to that.

Best wishes for whatever you choose :)

Hey andyfromdenver!

I have been looking at the 1176 rev a for some time.  And the only reason I think that will be my 3rd project or so is because a few years ago I bought the UA 1176 blackface... 2 none the less. I don't use them for live work cause they just cost so much damn money, but when I get around to building them they will go everywhere with me. Plus I wanted to buy an entire kit for my first time to make the process a little smoother and Hairball is out of kits for rev A and Rev D till the middle of the month.
I decided on the SB4000 from Serpent Audio. I will buy the entire kit as well as the PCB. I really like how it has some mods on it and it is very well documented with a hell of a support thread that has answered every issue that has been raised. I just finished designing the face plate, thankfully it had a well deigned template already that I just customized to my liking. I can't believe the face plate is gonna cost $200 alone,lol. I guess thats what I get for laser engraved and filled instead of silk screen. I don't have many hobbies anymore due to work, family, drums, so to me the money is well justified. I'm really excited. As soon as my lady comes home tonight I'll order the kit and pcb and the few things on the BOM that the kit dose not come with. Everything should be delivered in about 2 weeks which will give me time to practice soldering on some old electronics. I really hope I can find silver or blue LED push buttons to follow my design theme. Anyway, thank you for showing interest and a suggestion for a noob. Please, keep in touch.

Thanks,
Austin.

Back