my first G7

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kooma

kaikki.jpg

mikki2.jpg

mikki.jpg

psu.jpg

Psu's case and some of the mics body is from old mic parts that I got from my friend,
so it's kind of recycling:) looks a little ghetto'ish but works just fine.
the switch in psu was for lowering b+ and polarization voltages for testing other capsules,
but I just left it in..

... mic looks really cool, is that housing DIY by you, isn't it?

... i just finished my first (of 2) G7 a few day ago... after around 2 years, i'm soooo happy... (pix coming soon)

what capsule and transformer did you use?

Did you do the capsule mount out of silicon your self?
I try one, bit it had way too less stiffness (i think my diameter was also less).

The head basket looks really cool, is that DIY too?? One layer mesh?

ROCK-ON!

Thank you for comments.
It cannot be seen in the pictures, but the lacquering is kind of f*ckt up;
I use normally spray-lacquer, but now I tried brushable version,
that was really hard to get it nice and it started melting my logo-prints etc :(

I'll try to take pic from the component side.
Dr_J said:
... mic looks really cool, is that housing DIY by you, isn't it?

... i just finished my first (of 2) G7 a few day ago... after around 2 years, i'm soooo happy... (pix coming soon)

what capsule and transformer did you use?

Did you do the capsule mount out of silicon your self?
I try one, bit it had way too less stiffness (i think my diameter was also less).

The head basket looks really cool, is that DIY too?? One layer mesh?

ROCK-ON!
Mic is made from (maybe?) apex460 head basket and bottom plate and I diyed the rest.
capsule mount is made with silicon and acryllic (and a plastic pcb-stand that is inside silicon for better mounting&stiffness)
capsule is c12-style I  got from eemo(along with those body parts.)
and transformer was (iirc) oep A262A3E

kooma said:
capsule mount is made with silicon and acryllic (and a plastic pcb-stand that is inside silicon for better mounting&stiffness)

Did I get that right, you have a pcb-stand inside and just the silicon around that?
Than the  silicon blanket is more or less the useless, IMHO.

ROCK-ON!

Dr_J said:
kooma said:

Did I get that right, you have a pcb-stand inside and just the silicon around that?
Than the  silicon blanket is more or less the useless, IMHO.

ROCK-ON!
Yeah silicon around everywhere.ie there is silicon between the capsule mount acryllic and the mic's top acryllic plate.
screw's have so loose fit that the whole capsule mount is flexible.

I didnt want to only clue the capsule mount with silicon so I felt better if there were srew's holding it together,
but not directly or so tight that as you say the silicon would have been useless.

I did this awesome picture in paint;
maybe this attachment explains it better:)

btw. I'm still in the dark how bad cured silicon is for electronics (is there still acetic acid fumes etc..)

Attachments

• mount.png
    mount.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 17
gyraf said:
btw. I'm still in the dark how bad cured silicon is for electronics (is there still acetic acid fumes etc..)

Never had any trouble with cured silicon...

Jakob E.
ok, thanks for the info!
been trying to find out for a while( even started this topic: http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=53958.0 but got no replys..)
I understand that as silicone dries the acetic acid evaporates from it.

Nice job! It is a looker :)
I am curious to what components you use. For example, what is the rectangular shaped thing above the output cap? I hope silicon is fine, because it is what I used..

müx_micro said:
Nice job! It is a looker :)
I am curious to what components you use. For example, what is the rectangular shaped thing above the output cap? I hope silicon is fine, because it is what I used..
Thanks!
I'll try to remeber to take photo of the components.
that gray box is a cap.

and those other capacitors;I tried it first with 1uF PIO at the output, but then added 1uF( that yellow cap) in paraller with it.
dunno if this is yet finished or if i'm going to try differend components/values innit. :)

I will be in helsinki next summer, could be a good excuse for a new Finnish DIY meeting, then I can see that beauty!

Beautiful!

One quick question. What is the big green capacitor? Is it the 2.2uf output cap?
Which brand is it?

Thanks

Moshe

lkipod said:
Beautiful!

One quick question. What is the big green capacitor? Is it the 2.2uf output cap?
Which brand is it?

Thanks

Moshe
that green cap is  1uF russian pio.
First I had just that 1uF as a output cap,
then I added that yellow 1uF in paraller to get near original value.

That makes sense.

How are two different types of caps in parallel working for you soundwise?

Looking really great.
Thanks.

lkipod said:
That makes sense.

How are two different types of caps in parallel working for you soundwise?

Looking really great.
Thanks.
thanks!
I dont know if I can actually hear differences between two,
just didnt have room for two pio's:)
I like to measure everything I build(or differences I hear),
but with mic's it's bit too hard for me:)

Back