Aluminium Enclosures for Electronic Projects

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephen

Hi,
I am a life long builder of electronic projects. The problem has been how to finish these project,
after trying many solutions with metal and plastic enclosures. The hard work and not to mention the change of mind about panel controls or mistakes, I needed to start over again.

I have designed an aluminium enclosure system that allows me to make the enclosure fit the project. If I change my mind about something, its only a aluminum panel I need to change, not the whole enclosure.  I designed the enclosures to be as flexible as possible, yet look good. The best part is to keep the price as low as possible.

Phase 1 is completed and I am now looking at alternative enclosure designs, I have another 4 designs ready to go within a month. I would appreciate some comments / feedback.

The website is: http://www.enscase-enclosure.com

When you sign up, I will notify everybody about some free enclosures. Its all about being first to respond.
I would like to do this on a world wide map.   

Regards
Stephen

stephen said:
I have designed an aluminium enclosure system that allows me to make the enclosure fit the project. If I change my mind about something, its only a aluminum panel I need to change, not the whole enclosure.  I designed the enclosures to be as flexible as possible, yet look good. The best part is to keep the price as low as possible.

Phase 1 is completed and I am now looking at alternative enclosure designs, I have another 4 designs ready to go within a month. I would appreciate some comments / feedback.

Here is what I'd LOVE to see. Hammond makes a neat slope-front console case, which is nearly perfect for something like a monitor controller. (I like the 10-degree slope.)

But look at it closely. The obvious thing to do is to hang the PCB from the top panel, with connectors out the back. But the angle between the top and back panel is 80 degrees, not 90, so you can't board-mount the connectors. Also, it's got the slots for heat dissipation where you'd want to put your connectors.

So my idea is to have the top and rear panels at a right angle, and put the 10-degree slope between the bottom/side metal and the back. The front can remain as-is.

-a

Hi

To answer a couple of questions:

I live in the Land Down-under - Australia,  in the state of Victoria.
My background, is electronic engineering, materials technology - polymer (plastics), cnc programing for metal and woodworking machines and marketing of technology based products.

This project is my focus on Aluminum enclosures for electronic projects and kits. I wanted to make the process of enclosing a electronics project easy. To do this, I designed the enclosure panels to be flat its easy to mark-out and drill or punch holes on a flat panel. The point its easy to print a label and affix it a smooth panel.  There is no fixed front panel of the enclosures. You stick on the feet on any side you want to be the base of the project.

I will be making some unusual enclosures all based around the same materials, I usually use aluminum for most of my projects, steel can replace aluminum on certain panels, perforated aluminum panel for air flow, clear plastic is also possible (1.5mm polcarb is ideal)

I have produced 19 in rack chassis prototypes 1RU and 2RU, in 3 depths 150 mm, 200 mm, 250 mm. These should be available soon.

I am updating my website page to include a couple of new enclosures along with a contact me page.

Regards
Stephen

I would be interested in a standard constrution that would allow me to make modules of various sizes for my tube mixer projects.

Cheers

Ian

Hi
In Response to  - Shot reply #1
A image of my RU's These are designed for budget applications.
The front panel is recessed to protect the panels' mounted controls, switches, knobs. The recess is a nominal 20 mm. This figure is flexible. As the front panel is recessed. The back panel can be flush mounted less 2 mm or similar to the front panel, to what ever depth you need.
Price wise I working on 1RU @ 150mm USD $35.00 each F.O.B. for 1 offs, 1 RU  150mm  USD $29.00 FOB each in lots of 25 units per order.
I am working on a new 1RU & 2RU chassis for professional applications. I have done the cad drawings and I am waiting on a quote for the 2 extrusion dies.
This what the RU chassis will look like
RAck3_zps054a5cfe.png

Regards
Stephen

P.S.  For all who are in the northern winter. Its 32o C today. Up to 43 C for the next 3 to 4 days.

The cost of an extrusion die for an extrusion that small (cost based on max dimension) will not be very expensive, but generally they want to push a few hundred pounds of aluminum through it, before turning on the machine. So you will get thousands of feet at a pop.

I've seen chassis based on that approach and using large flats for top and bottom, with no bend or other support for rigidity can allow them to flex and pop out of the slots. You can engineer the screws on the extrusion ends to clamp the top and bottom metal in place, and use supports along the sides... or not.

Such an approach looks reasonable for DIY/hobby use. 

JR

PS: I only see one extrusion, do you use a different top vs bottom, or different front vs back?

Lots of companies used extrusions (even me). First I recall seeing was probably Burwen (single ended noise reduction) back in the early '70s .  There may even be some stock off the shelf extrusions out there that can capture two sheet metal flats to make a right angle junction, while this can get dicey over 19" eia rack width. 

I have even seen extrusions wide enough to cover the 1U high dimension but these are not as cheap to tool or use due to secondary machining required (but they do make a nice rigid chassis.) The simple 4 small extrusion rack chassis gets a little floppy if screws get loose.

At Peavey  I developed a nice U shaped extrusion for a small clam shell package where the U shaped extrusion worked as the bottom-(2)sides of a small accessory chassis, with the top and other two sides made by a simple flat piece of steel with two right angle bends. Pots and switches went on top, jacks etc on the flat sides. This extrusion could be cut to different lengths to make bigger or smaller packages. AFAIK this extrusion is still being used more than 2 decades later.

JR

Rochey said:
John, can you share the name of a product that used this?

The U-channel extrusion was used for a bunch of products. From memory the headphone amp
mtkJPdduayeyIBD1UwKwBZw.jpg
Looking at Peavey it looks like they repackaged it, probably into a cheaper steel or plastic package.

EDB electronic direct box
images

This too has been repackaged.

I stand corrected, it looks like they stopped using my old aluminum** extrusion... There are cheaper ways.

JR

** note Ford just introduced an aluminum F150 PU truck at detroit auto show. This is clearly a response to gas mileage standards out of washington DC since truck buyer aren't asking for more expensive trucks.... Only way to hit new mileage standards is reduce weight.

Hi,
I would like you for your interest and comments  for these enclosures.
The rack enclosure image is updated to show screws in the top panel, the same for the bottom panel,
I have shown 4 screws #4 self tap,  if there is a need for screws,? how many do you need. There is a channel for screws , this channel runs full width of the panels.  As I stated I would consider this design as a budget approach. The Flange panels 2 mm thick, 3 mm is an option,  top and bottom panels are 1.2 mm, or 1.00 mm to 1.5 mm steel is an option. The front and rear panels are 1.2 mm aluminum or 1.00 mm to 1.5 mm steel.
The HD design will be a full aluminum extrusion, this will be a very rugged unit. There will provision for handles. The depth will go to 500 mm in 1 and 2 RU's.

These products are interpretation of my ideas, I need to find out is this what you would use or should I scap the designs and start over again.

A new image for the budget rack chassis showing screws

4378da5e-5755-4f61-ab6e-f9ba18bee275_zpsf3eac357.jpg
[/URL]

Regards
Stephen

Hi, 2nd post for the day

This is a design for a two tier enclosure, 1 self contained module on the bottom with another located above split by  a 12 mm or 1/2 in gap. The shows 2 modules, however 1 module on the base, with several modules side by side on the top. Minimum width for a module is 75 mm or 3 in.  This could work for a tube preamp with power supply isolated in the base unit, this type of construction would reduce harmonic distortion. Any opinions?

a0a3c0a9-fae4-4af5-bda8-90857097cd8e_zpsa360efd3.png
[/URL]

I will post some more ideas over the next few days.  I am working on a video to explain what the enclosures are about.

Regards
Stephen

Low cost rack enclose is indeed very interesting. When I first read "The front panel is recessed" I was thinking of how funky looking some of the Peavey devices I have in my rack that are recessed looks when combined with standard flat front panels. In my head the rack itself should take care of this purpose. But end user could easily select this for them self if the holes in the side panels are punched oval.

Also don't overlook the big modular SDIY scene where everything seems to be standardized to 3U EuroRack and Frack Rack. The API 500 series share some resembles with the Frac Rack design. With some thoughts I bet you can come up with a design that can cover all three 3U standards with one enclose and become a life saver for the DIY community  :D 

Hi,

I am in the process of building a sample 2RU 483 mm (19 in ) Modular rack chassis. Each module could be described as a U shaped configuration when assembled, The modules are about 83 mm H, with Widths of 50 mm, 75 mm, 100 mm, 125 mm, 150 mm, 200 mm. My idea is to build up various modules, with 1 power supply, I can have a combination of widths to fill up the 2 RU Frame, with a depth of 100 mm (4 in) per module. My idea is to have a front and back panel with a panel to interconnect the front and back panels.

e701a080-fe66-4b1d-abb1-66eaeee79a40_zps2e0c1354.png

The reason for the interconnect panel is to mount small PCB or multiple PCB's. I imagine using a 50 mm module, sticking a push in breadboard on the interconnecting panel with controls and input-output ports mounted on the front panel, a quick way to get up and running for a special project.

At this time I need to make a video of the system. I have all the components for the frame and modules, a video presentation is a good way to demonstrate the product.
The image illustrates my vision of the Modular Rack system. If you are thinking why 2RU, there are substantial modules for 3 RUs in Euro, Frac and API 500, We don't need another 3 RU frame system.  Although I have had a request for  a 3 RU frame to take Euro, Frac & 500 in the one frame.  A design for this, is in my computer
and I will try and make it into a reality.

I have completed 90% of the updated website, another 1 - 2 weeks before I upload.

A 1 RU system, based on the same style modules  is possible.

Regards
Stephen

Hi,

I have uploaded a YouTube video about a custom enclosure, this is a aluminum enclosure with a wood-grain finish with gold colored front and back panels, the video shows how the enclosure is assembled,  assembly  along with assembly instructions. I you are interested                        http://youtu.be/IelFTK61x68

WoodgrainEnclosuresmall_zps6e8c0898.png

The people on my email list have already seen this video, and the other two. I am in the process of uploading  new web  pages that will include all YouTube videos.

Enclosures keep evolving, there are more designs on the way.

Regards
Stephen

Hi all,  in my previous post - Aluminium Enclosures for Electronic Projects,  I gave you information on enclosures. The biggest problem was the cost of freight for world wide postage.  In a book I am in the final stages of writing. I want to give detailed information and drawings plus a couple of examples. The design part allows you to make the electronic cases to your custom size

I have decided to write a book on -How to make a custom aluminum electronic case- Since there are many variations, I found it necessary to write a series of books - how to make electronic cases -  The best part - The books will be available free for download.
For more information www.enscase-enclosure.com.

If you need more information, I have a Email facility on the page, this will enable you to ask any questions.

Regards
Stephen

Latest posts

Back