initial advice on building a urei 1176 clone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

octopus

Just joined so hello to all.

I want to build a Urei 1176 clone and at a quick glance here I was pleased to see the availability of pre-etched boards for such a project (mnats). I found the 1176 meta-thread which I will digest thoroughly but I had a few initial concerns.

I have the practical skills to attempt such a project; I can order parts, identify components, solder well enough and build suitable enclosures and fittings. However I have no engineering knowledge whatsoever. Nonetheless I built one of these once; http://www.oakleysound.co.uk/filtrex.htm. It works great!

Is it realistic for me to attempt a 1176 clone with the mnats boards do you think? If I work my way through all the info am I going to arrive at something like a walkthrough? Hey even idiot proof with any luck :) Or, am I going to run into difficulties given my lack of understanding of the electronics. Perhaps there are decisions to be made along the way for instance that are just way over my head?

I am also concerned about the power supply. I don't think it's a great idea for an inexperienced person to be playing with mains voltages. So I thought about asking a local engineer to build that bit, give them the parts and relevant notes/schematics so they can build and test it safely. Good idea?

Finally what kind of results can I expect if all goes well? Are these clones very similar to the originals or just a flavour?

So any advice appreciated particularly from those who have attempted this and had little experience as well.

Thanks
Jim

[quote author="octopus"]

I have the practical skills to attempt such a project; I can order parts, identify components, solder well enough and build suitable enclosures and fittings. However I have no engineering knowledge whatsoever. Nonetheless I built one of these once; http://www.oakleysound.co.uk/filtrex.htm. It works great!

[/quote]

Welcome!

Your practical skills are fare more advanced than mine were at the time when I started building my SSL clone. IMHO the 1176 is just as easy to build. Both the SSL or the 1176 are perfect for a first DIY project and
sound very much like the original ones, not just a flavour.

[quote author="octopus"]Finally what kind of results can I expect if all goes well? Are these clones very similar to the originals or just a flavour?[/quote]

There are many revisions of the 1176, which don't all sound the same. This is a clone of Rev F. I have built one of these, and I think it is a great piece of gear. I use it all the time in my studio. However, I also have been using Rev B (not a clone) of the 1176, and I'll say this clone of Rev F sounds a bit different than Rev B. So it's tough to answer if this sounds like the original, since there are so many revisions of the 1176. I have never had an original Rev F to compare to. Bottom line is this is a great compressor that think you can build quite easily.

I say jump right in, and if there are problems, post them here. You'll find the people here very helpful and welcoming...

Joel

Go for it and populate the board. Only problem you will run into is the trimming the meter and getting the box hum free. And people will help you.

I find the power supplies the easiest to build...
I have built three pen etched PSUs and have only just completed my first non-PSU board...

Common sense is probably the thing here....
Make sure you use an insulated way of attaching leads to the IEC inlet..
(I use mains wire with insulated crimp terminals - and then shroud the whole thing in heat shrink tubing)
I always make sure that the PSU works before doing anything else...
Be careful when soldering in the regulators (I "blew" a 7818 at the weekend when soldering - don't know how I did it - but when I figured it was dodgy and had to replace it - I then "desoldered" it and it went bang with a few sparks)

[quote author="scott_humphrey"]Loved the Filtrix sound files. :cool:[/quote]

Well it was actually it's predecessor the VCF1 I built (discontinued) but very similar. Tony's stuff is really good. He's doing a faithful minimoog clone called The Orbital, estimated parts cost including enclosure around 250ukp, bargain for an authentic minimoog sound, big project tho!

[quote author="Greg"]There are many revisions of the 1176[/quote]

Sure of course. I guess I was just looking for confirmation that it is at least in the same ballpark as the originals as opposed to something a bit pony.

[quote author="radiance"]Your practical skills are fare more advanced than mine were at the time when I started building my SSL clone. IMHO the 1176 is just as easy to build.[/quote]

Ok cool, I'm convinced then. I'm gonna order the boards and get my head stuck into that meta-thread.

I'll be back!

Jim

Put your location in you profile... if you're in the states, I have a nice, complete parts list to get you started.

[quote author="Greg"]Put your location in you profile... if you're in the states, I have a nice, complete parts list to get you started.[/quote]

Thanks Greg, I'm actually in the UK. Is it just a parts list or parts and order refs? Mouser is it in the US? Could still be useful. If I had any queries I could look up the component you chose on the Mouser website as a comparison.

Disarm the naughty primate for my email address

BADjimMONKEY(a)jellyPUTandTHEiceGUNcream.DOWNcom

Thanks
Jim

Back