simple electronic dc load for testing power supplies

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfuruta

Thought this might be of use to someone.  Here's a simple adjustable DC load, with a meter to show current draw.  I wanted one of these to test power supplies.  Pre-made ones are rather expensive, and I don't need most of the fancy functionality.  The basic idea for this is the same as in a video by eevblog on youtube.  I didn't spend much time on this circuit, but it seems to work well enough.  RV2 is probably unnecessary.  For higher power, I imagine one could just put more mosfets in parallel (?).

The voltmeter, mosfet, and power resistor are wired off of the board (the latter two on a large heatsink).  I used an STP60NF10 for the fet.  It gets warm, but seems ok at moderate power.  I measured it at 70C when sinking 3A @20-somethingV.  The meter accuracy seems pretty good.

My idea is that it should be powered with a 12VAC wall-wart.

Boards are here:  http://www.oshpark.com/shared_projects/LwMaw4bQ (or, if anyone wants gerbers just pm).  Schematic is attached.

Attachments

• dc_load.jpg
    dc_load.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 86
Back