500 series Level-Loc project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good grief - I don't think I've ever taken this long to build up a board.  :-[ :-X

Note to self, reduce track width here...

tumblr_inline_n29hlwc3lx1r2bfgn.jpg

I have really had to squeeze this build in where I can - I wouldn't have got this far if it weren't for the nightmare that is the Corrie/Emerdale/Corrie/Eastenders soap scheduling - and I really rushed the transfer/etch, I suppose that's a good thing as my mistakes can hopefully stop others doing the same?

I also found time to stuff a load of sockets and resistors too. Hardly exciting but I really do want to get this thing finished and in your capable hands.

tumblr_inline_n29hmm1uoj1r2bfgn.jpg

As mentioned before I'll be building this with J112, BC550c and 2n4403 Q's, and assuming that it behaves/sounds like it should this thing should be able to be built with REALLY easily sourced parts and be cheap (or should I say cost effective?) too.

Stay tuned for what will probably be another massively disappointing and boring update!

Ian

;D

Verified!  ;D

tumblr_inline_n2dgeg7pco1r2bfgn.jpg

tumblr_inline_n2dhbfYWMf1r2bfgn.jpg

I made a bit of an idiot of myself by mounting the switches in the wrong place when putting the front panel on (in fact the compression switch is still pointing in the wrong direction), but once that was rectified - nasty distorted compression!  ;D ;D

I need to adjust a couple of things (the pot location was too far forward making the board dimensions a little tight when mounting in the rack) but nothing that will need verification.

As I'd messed up the switch labelling  :-[ when I tried the BC550c's I was getting "weird behaviour" and put it down to the transistors, with the switch labelling corrected I'll get out the BC550c's and have another go.  The good news is that it WAS compressing so I just need to make sure the behaviour makes sense.  Oh and the J112 in place of the 2n5457 is fine.

Really close now - I'll confirm the 550c situation and get the docs uploaded.

Ian
:)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Hurrah!

BC550c are suitable.  So I'm happy to post it.

I would like to keep the files centralised so I can update everything at once should the need arise, so head to the following address for the docs:

http://irfrench.tumblr.com/downloads

Here is the unit I tested:

tumblr_inline_n2fmvr2FSS1r2bfgn.jpg

I'm sure there will be questions regarding the switch wiring which I will try and get round to answering in diagram form ASAP.

Things to note:

Be careful to remove enough copper at the 500-series pins. Unfortunately the board dimensions are needed for sizing purposes but can bridge the pins if you don't pay attention.

The J112 is a direct sub.
The BC550c subs need to be rotated 180 degrees when compared to the layout.
The colour layout file is useful to highlight jumpers but can be unclear if printing in B&W - hence the B&W version too.

As mentioned before I'm happy to share the info of the Gent who does CNC'ing for the panel and PCBs but will wait for a request so I'm not seen to be spamming.  I have no affiliation with the Gent other than having used his services (found initially on eBay) so any questions/comments/problems/request would be to him and not me.

When you first try the compressor use line level from your source, and have the following settings - you should definitely be able to hear distorted compression madness:  Input FULL, -40db PAD, MOST compression, FST release and 100%WET.

Er, thats about it! I think.  If it ends up being necessary I'll start a formal project support thread - but only when it actually IS necessary.

Enjoy!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Ian

Waaaaay cool!!  8) Thanks for sharing the project!

If you can, please pm me your CNC guy's info. I want a pair of these! :)

Thanks all,

Docs now include switch wiring...  Please note the orange connection on the comp switch connects to all three lugs - hence the blobs!

25im9uo.jpg

:) :)

Indecline - I'll speak to him ASAP and post it here if he's happy to (I'll try and get a price too), if he's not I'll PM you.  8)

Ian.

Fantastic!!!!

I guess it's time to learn how to etch my self.
Interested in that CNC Gent as well.

Cheers
Magnus

Morning all,

I have heard back from the CNC guy, he's more than happy to provide the service so that's good news.  I'm ironing out a few things with him first to make life easier for everyone (e.g. pricing for UK/overseas etc [looks like a decent discount applies if ordering both front panel and PCB], colour options, payment method, order labelling etc...) to make sure he can get set up for it and that you wouldn't be waiting long for your order.

I'm rambling, but you know what I mean.

I can't wait to see people building these!

Should I update the first post to include the new link(s) or should I wait until a new proper thread is started?

Ian :)

Right,

For those interested...

PCB - £22.50
Front Panel - £7.50

BOTH - £25

P&P free to UK, £1.50 extra overseas.

Payment via Paypal

Panel is available in 1.6mm or 3mm thickness - I recommend 3mm for 500 series and 1.6mm for 19" rack if you intend to mount it like that.

Panel is available in Black, Red or Blue laminate (which results in white labelling).

To order - email Marek : marek . kuczynski [at] ntlworld . com  and include LVL_LOK-500 in the subject.  He may just want you to make payment directly via Paypal but I always feel better knowing that a real person exists at the end of the line!

As I've said before - I'm not in affiliation with Marek, but have used his services without problem.  All questions related to any purchases should be directed to him. Please be aware that I tend to receive email replies from him in the REALLY early morning (e.g. 4am GMT!) so don't worry if you don't get an immediate reply.

If you do have questions for me feel free to ask them here (or the new thread once it starts) and if people have suggestions/mods/recommendations please make them 'out loud' so we can all learn and potentially benefit.  If a project can be open-source, I'd like this to be one.

Also, this seems like a good time to thank everyone on GroupDIY for being so awesome.  I know its not exactly a 1073 or 1176 project, but I always try to give in life as much as I take - this is a (small) start.

Ian

This is very cool, nice work.  I just built a stereo sherlock and wanted to add a mix control.  Do you by chance have a link to the original bass blend circuit layout you used? ;D

vitopower said:
This is very cool, nice work.  I just built a stereo sherlock and wanted to add a mix control.  Do you by chance have a link to the original bass blend circuit layout you used? ;D

Hi,

No probs - the LVL_LOK-500 output was inverted so I made a basic mod to the mix/blend circuit (send is inverted). 

How have you powered your Sherlock?  The mixing circuit in the LVL_LOK-500 runs of the bipolar 500-series supply so would need adjusting if you've gone wholesale 9v.

Also, just for reference, the mix circuit mixes unbalanced audio so it would need to sit 'inside' the transformer I/O arrangement.

I have been speaking to Marek - he's received a couple of orders which is cool!  I can't wait to see some build pics!  He is reformatting the gerbers into 2 formats and will forward them to me for sharing (nice guy!).

I'm loving this!

Ian.

How is the P.S.B. connected to the front panel?
Are the two pots soldered to the P.S.B. the only thing holding it on?
Can a 500 series sled be used to make it more sturdy for frequent in and out removal?

vitopower said:
Thanks, mine is a non 500 stereo sherlock.  I went with a crush n blend, a little loud on the dry side but otherwise works great! 

OK.  The bass blender is based on the seanm b.blender circuit: http://seanm.ca/stomp/bblender.html

I built a bi-polar powered version of this for bass effects (http://irfrench.tumblr.com/post/72424179637/utility-so-so-so-much-fun) and wanted to use it here...  I tried it only to find in the middle 'blend' position little/no sound came out, hence the need to invert the WET part.  The circuit is shown in the LVL_LOK-500 schematic file but looks a bit like this... goes to link to schematic to find I've not uploaded it (i'll correct that in a sec...)

This is the blend section, obviously the PAD element is included here for the benefit of the LVL_LOK-500 so that bit can be omitted if only using mic-level signals.

4kv8s4.jpg

Ian

Winetree said:
How is the P.S.B. connected to the front panel?
Are the two pots soldered to the P.S.B. the only thing holding it on?
Can a 500 series sled be used to make it more sturdy for frequent in and out removal?

Hi,

I have just had the front panel attached via the pots which are soldered to the PCB, its been robust enough for me to keep testing it in/out of the rack a few times...  I have not tried the pcb mounted to a sled but as you've asked I'll give it a go (I'll build up the CNC'd layout and use that as a donor), I also included isolation and drill markers for sled mounting...  Having said that - as an absolute worst case I don't see why you couldn't take 1.5mm off the length of the 500-series pins and it'd definitely fit!

Ian

EDIT: ADDED SCHEMATIC TO D/L PAGE

Quick pre-work post.

I received an email from Marek last night confirming he has (gratefully!) received quite a few orders.  :)  So before he posts out a load of PCBs he's cautiously asked me to verify his converted/milled PCB layout:

20nl2a.jpg

2a5dgcn.jpg

The boards will be polished and tinned before posting in case anyone was wondering, I mention it as Marek was worrying that the surface marks looked bad.  Nice to know he's paying attention to stuff like that though?  :)

I've already ordered the parts - hopefully arriving tomorrow - so will book in time with the missus (she can watch SaTC) this week to get it done... I'm away with work on Wednesday so Thursday will be the earliest I will likely get time to do this - UNLESS... Does anyone know if you can solder in a Premier Travel Inn hotel room!?  ;) ;D ;D ;D

Good times.

Ian.

Back