500 series Level-Loc project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
also i want to use it on a 9vdc set just like a normal effect pedal
is this possible? if so i would love to get some help on this  I'm a bit lost

It took a while to finish these... They're done and sounding good!
Thanks Ian and Marek.

Attachments

• IMG_20160222_022612.jpg
    IMG_20160222_022612.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 195
Hello everyone!!

I would like to know if this project is still alive.
Are there still PCBs and frontpanels being made??
Thanks for your time.

Martin

irfrench said:
Hi,

To be honest I'm not sure if Marek is still offering these.  The PCB traces are available here if you can etch your own:

http://irfrench.tumblr.com/downloads

I've not spoken to Marek for quite some time - I hope he is well!

Ian.
:)

Too bad, this is an awesome projects and his boards were beautiful. I built a pair and for heavy parallel compression on drums they are pretty great

dmp said:
Too bad, this is an awesome projects and his boards were beautiful. I built a pair and for heavy parallel compression on drums they are pretty great

Thanks - this means a lot.

Assuming that Marek is no longer producing these (or with his say so) I'm happy for someone else to take up the role.  Would be nice to see some more appear in the wild.

Ian.
:)

Sad news I'm afraid, Marek Passed away last year.

http://www.forge-electronics.co.uk/index.php/workshop/isolation-milled-pcbs

c1184701 said:
Sad news I'm afraid, Marek Passed away last year.

http://www.forge-electronics.co.uk/index.php/workshop/isolation-milled-pcbs

Oh no.  That is really really sad.  He was  such a friendly and open person.

I'm genuinely saddened to hear that.

Ian.

Hey Guys,

so because I couldn't find anyone that would sell me a level-loc PCB I took it upon myself to start from scratch. I took your schematics and re-did a PCB design in eagle, since I quit making my own PCB's, except on rare occasions, I did a two layer design, so I could just send some gerber files to my main manufacturer and get some made for me.

So I've got this one on order...
There are some errors on the board, with misplaced tnames and stuff, but all in all a quick turn around.

To irfrench, I would like to thank you for your effort in this project, I'm about to change a few things like bringing back the input tranformers, going for a true line-level option and reverse engineering the original, so I guess I'll have to add a new topic for this one somewhere in the near future.

1b9442_764baca1ef67479f91d583c0d637f9dc~mv2.png

Eliani said:
To irfrench, I would like to thank you for your effort in this project, I'm about to change a few things like bringing back the input tranformers, going for a true line-level option and reverse engineering the original, so I guess I'll have to add a new topic for this one somewhere in the near future.

Hi!

This is really exciting!  I'm glad the project is still alive and evolving!  I'm excited to see the results.  :)

Ian

So I've got this one working!

It was an almost inhouse, built from stocked parts project. And the few items I didn't have laying around I got from Farnell for almost nothing, and free delivery...

Now about the level-loc... I have to admit I made a small error populating the board, and I fried the tl074 too. It took me the better part of today to figure out that it was busted, but I've gained some experience in searching for problems along the way. I've never own an original Level-Lock, but I did have a 4 channel preamp with a limiter funtion, but that did not behave like this one does... I've only tried it on a mono drum track and I'l have to get used to the way it works, but it sounds awsome!! from clean, to smashed and bleading simbals to dry dead punched akward gated stuff!! I love this!!

I'll have to build myself a second one for stereo purposes, matching components would be the first priority in this case. I'll need to figure out the front-panel, but I can always move stuff around and order a new batch of boards...

IMG_20190726_161654_resized_20190726_102654694.jpg

when I get this thing sorted, I'll be willing to order more for you guys, if you guys ar at all interested!!
I guess I'll have to open a new thread for this project if it starts to deviate to much from the original design by Irfrench...

Great work! This looks excellent!
I would be interested in a pair if you are selling PCBs.

Gianni

I've got a pair of the first batch. one works and one doesn't. still haven't figured out whats wrong with the non-functioning unit. The one that works is great. I'm just using it to crush some mono bass and mono drums. If the new PCBs turn out well I may pick up a pair and try again.

Back