Telefunken ELA M 251 Clone Tube Microphone Build Thread (D-Ela M 251E)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trans4funks1 said:
Hi Woot,
Thanks for explaining about the diodes. Now I'm scratching my head wondering why there aren't 3.

I think because there are only 2 voltage rails, and their job is suppressing reverse voltages down them back towards the PS.

poctop said:
Looks like a wet tantalum to me , but they may have had different type over times ,  as Metal paper, polyester also,
Why Not polyprop
Here is a shot ,.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJx9TdJSFRI

Elam%20Back.gif

Best,
Dan,

your guess now,

I guess I'm just trying to get as close as possible to the "vintage sound." I have no experience as to how different capacitors can sound. I have read that wet tantalums short when they die, which I guess could be dangerous for the transformer in the mic. Has anyone compared the tone of wet tantalum versus polypropylene?

Dan, I will probably be in for 1 kit when you do another run.

Hi DAn,

Could you tell me the max voltage for the 200v secondary of the power trafo?

How much power do I need for each secondary?

Would this work?

http://www.don-audio.com/g-pultec-power-trafo-sec-220v-9v-5V

Thanks,

Matt

Marc Duchesne said:
Yep, where have you got the donor body from...

Might be interested to built one...

It is a Classic Kit from Chunger HT-11A with psu and Elam type headbasket,
Best,
Dan,

Woot said:
Hi DAn,

Could you tell me the max voltage for the 200v secondary of the power trafo?

How much power do I need for each secondary?

Would this work?

http://www.don-audio.com/g-pultec-power-trafo-sec-220v-9v-5V

Thanks,

Matt

This traffo has enough power no issues if you use the 9V for the heater and the 220V for the B+ ,  you might want to tweak your R1 and R2 resistor to drop it the right amount tough , you can do the math and it will work fine , the resistance were based on the 200V output from the HT-11 psu , also you need to aim it a 110V not 120V ,
i use a 250K pot for this and 75k r1 and 75K R2 ,
Best,
Dan,

An alternative body could be the BeesNeez Ela M. It was on sale (100 dollars off) until last weekend. Perhaps Ben and Veronica could prolong the sale for Group DIY members who act quickly? The Australian dollar is relatively cheap now, too, especially for Europeans. The body will still be more expensive than the HT-11A, but it's built like a tank.
It does have a bigger diameter (closer to the original, actually). Well, a little too big should be less of a problem than too small. Would it be a problem, Dan?

micaddict said:
An alternative body could be the BeesNeez Ela M. It was on sale (100 dollars off) until last weekend. Perhaps Ben and Veronica could prolong the sale for Group DIY members who act quickly? The Australian dollar is relatively cheap now, too, especially for Europeans. The body will still be more expensive than the HT-11A, but it's built like a tank.
It does have a bigger diameter (closer to the original, actually). Well, a little too big should be less of a problem than too small. Would it be a problem, Dan?

Too big is actually a good thing for DIYer, what is the lenght of the Beez mic body.
LEt me know i will check the lenght of the pcb  .
Best,
DAN,

Oh, I forgot to add that it can be ordered in any of the standard BeesNeez colors, with no upcharge. These are professional paint and powder coating jobs.

Too big is actually a good thing for DIYer, what is the lenght of the Beez mic body.
Best,
DAN,

Sleeve diameter, from the back of my head, is 51 mm or 2 inches. I'd have to check for length (I believe it was mentioned in older adds), but perhaps Ben or Veronica could chime in.

Anyway, here's the current add (without sale):
http://www.beesneezmicrophones.com.au/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=99

How tough would it be to fashion an angled pedestal for the capsule mount? That's one of the differences between C12 and 251, as well.

micaddict said:
Oh, I forgot to add that it can be ordered in any of the standard BeesNeez colors, with no upcharge. These are professional paint and powder coating jobs.

Best,
DAN,

Sleeve diameter, from the back of my head, is 51 mm or 2 inches. I'd have to check for length (I believe it was mentioned in older adds), but perhaps Ben or Veronica could chime in.

Anyway, here's the current add (without sale):
http://www.beesneezmicrophones.com.au/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=99

Hey guys inside the BeesNeez 251 body there is 119mm of clearance for a PCB. PCB width can be up to 48mm wide. Our 251 body is 51mm the same as the original.

Sorry for the delay in seeing this post, it was a busy weekend.

Thanks,

As for the sale price, I can bring it back for you guys. However I really need to have numbers. I already have head grilles and bases made, but I do need to make the body tube. This can be done quickly and easily, but before I purchase the metal and re-program the CNC, it would be good to know how many we are talking about. So if you let me know your interest I can start a list. I would also be happy to offer a body and CK12  capsule combo, if you purchase both together I could reduce the capsule price to $400. Ben is completing a large CK12 batch this week so they will be in stock and all current orders shipped.

Thanks, v

poctop said:
This traffo has enough power no issues if you use the 9V for the heater and the 220V for the B+ ,  you might want to tweak your R1 and R2 resistor to drop it the right amount tough , you can do the math and it will work fine , the resistance were based on the 200V output from the HT-11 psu , also you need to aim it a 110V not 120V ,
i use a 250K pot for this and 75k r1 and 75K R2 ,
Best,
Dan,
Thanks Dan

micaddict said:

This was one of the issues with the Matachung board... it was too long for the BN ELAM body...

I should be receiving my ELAM Walter White board soon, so I can double check it. And if Veronica is saying 119 mm clearance for the PCB, then I think there is still lots of room under that where a trafo like the T14 could fit if needed (in addition to the xlr wiring).

I can confirm as well that the quality and finish of these is very high, and as micaddict mentioned there is probably another 10-15% "discount" in it for both European and US customers owing to the recent fluctuation in the AUD... I know because everything I'd like to buy is now 10-15% more expensive  :'(

Latest posts

Back