Telefunken ELA M 251 Clone Tube Microphone Build Thread (D-Ela M 251E)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...it appears the very prototype Dan built in this thread is currently being offered for sale in the Black Market forum, and it lists the capsule as the "Ningbo Tongxin" C12 which is the microphone-parts.com/micandmod variant...

I just got conformation from Scotty at advanced audio microphones. Here is what he told me.

The AK12 has 4 wires. Two back plates, and two edge fed diaphragms.

Cheers,

Scotty

Sounds like a contender.

ding said:
I just got conformation from Scotty at advanced audio microphones. Here is what he told me.

Cheers,

Scotty

Sounds like a contender.

...same as Chunger's capsule...from Chunger's Studio 939 site:

"Due to the popularity of our C12 microphone kits, we have imported a high quality 34mm K67-based edge terminated capsule suitable for budget conscious builders. These capsules are 6 micron and backplate isolated, so they are suitable for use in the original ELA M251 polarizing scheme as well as our 9 pattern C12 configuration. The build quality and sonics on these capsules are quite good, but in this grade of Chinese manufactured capsule, we will find variation from unit to unit. This model was selected as an ideal entry level option."

Hello all and thanks to everyone who has emailed there support of this build. We are now ready to start taking orders for the Beesneez ELA M251 body kit (adjusted to fit this build) and the Beesneez CK12 capsule. Once the orders are finalised we will begin production in July. I will be keeping you updated as we go along with how things are going. To place your order and secure your body kit and capsule please follow this link http://www.beesneezmicrophones.com....e sooner we can begin production. Cheers, V

ding said:

Cheers,

Scotty

Sounds like a contender.

It seems that I was wrong :) Definitely don't go for the RK12. Use Chunger's or the AK12

I have also made the body kit available with the Shock Mount but no capsule. Here is the link for that one: http://www.beesneezmicrophones.com.au/store/ela-m251-styled-microphone-body-kit.html

In your test build, it looks like a Cinemag output transformer. What model number?
I'm using T-14 tranformers in my c-12 builds, and thought I might try a different O.P.T. in the 251s
Has there been any comparsions between the T-14 and Cinemag in this build?

Winetree said:
In your test build, it looks like a Cinemag output transformer. What model number?
I'm using T-14 tranformers in my c-12 builds, and thought I might try a different O.P.T. in the 251s
Has there been any comparsions between the T-14 and Cinemag in this build?

this is a 2480  (11:1)  in my test build , I havent the chance to try the T14 yet but it is on my wish list ,
Best,
dan,

Ok, I see there is some confusion about the transformer ratios and therefore different choices (maybe just for me...?).
The original Haufe has the ratio 14:1, AMI T14 and CM-13114 are 12:1... as I understand there is difference in sound if the ratios are different... does this something to do wit circuit/capsule used? Did anyone try how different transformers sound with Beezneez CK12 capsule?

Just an addition to the capsule discussion from my side:
I have used a Mic&Mod CK-12 in an ELA M-251 'like' design and I must say the quality is excellent!
(Insulated backplates, two backplate connections.)
Personally I never had a problem with Mic&Mod.
Even when a capsule failed after some time, they replaced it with a new one without any costs.
The CK-12 capsule may also have a treble peak (as has the RK-12), but it is a small amount of boost, nothing like a K67/87 capsule.
I prefer a microphone that is a little on the 'bright' side above a ruler flat or even a somewhat 'dull' sounding microphone.
In practice most of the time you will end up with adding some treble, to increase the presence of a sound source. (Anyway: I do...)

Veronica Sneesby said:
I have also made the body kit available with the Shock Mount but no capsule. Here is the link for that one: http://www.beesneezmicrophones.com.au/store/ela-m251-styled-microphone-body-kit.html
Sorry if this question has already been answered somewhere else but how close to the original mic does your body kit come? Will the head basket be exactly the same? Thanks!

Hi the body kit will have the same head basket as the Tribute 2 Microphone. These are being made that the moment, so if you wish to order let me know asap. The body kit is of the same build and quality as the rest of the Beesneez range.

thanks, Veronica

Looked throught the entire post to find out how to wire the XLR and AMI to the the Mic P.S.B.
GND,OMH,FB,H+,A-,A+,P+,P-,S-,S+,B+
Other than the picture in "Reply 121" which kinda helps, I wasn't able to find a concrete answer.
Using the white boards. Any Help?

Latest posts

Back