Harmonic Converger ??? Remove the fizziness from POD XT

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neeno

I've just heard something about this little black box on the Line6 Forum...

It seems that the new POD XT have a serious FIZZ problem, that really sounds bad to hears, specially with hi gain amps.

I've sold my Pod Pro 7 months ago, and i bought the new XT... and after 2 months I bought again a Pod Pro, cause it seems to sound better to my hears...

As i know this "Harmonic Converger" can re-align the high harmonics and remove the fizziness... it's an unbalanced unit with 2 in and 2 outs, it costs more then 200$ and can't be opened. Open it will result in an irreparable damage of the circuit.

The question is: does anyone know a DIY ciruit that can solve the fizz problem ? Maybe a miracle IC ?

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeno

P.S.: Sorry for my bad english... I hope you'll understand... :cry:

re-align the high harmonics and remove the fizziness

Sounds like pure marketin' BS to me.

... it's an unbalanced unit with 2 in and 2 outs, it costs more then 200$ and can't be opened. Open it will result in an irreparable damage of the circuit.

Be sure that the reason why this is black-boxed is NOT because there's something fantastic new technology in there. This type of circuits are usuallly potted to prevent the buyer from realizing what simple circuit he paid for.

My guess is that this contains a passive filter. Maybe R/C, maybe even R/L/C if things gets wild.

Try doing a frequency-response analysis of the box, with e.g. AudioTester. That will probably tell you what's inside..

Jakob E.

Hey, if we need to start using analog correction circuits after those digital modellers then we might better switch back to the real deal again, not ? :wink: :grin:

I know this is a lame answer and you can't use the real deal blasting away at 2:00 AM, but just beware you're not spending comparable amounts on the emulation than you could get (one...) of the originals for.

More adressing your question, do you have a link where this black box is pictured ? Could it be a variable lowpassfilter ?

Bye,

Peter

You wrote the 'XT' has the problem. But does your 'Pro' have it ?

Uhh, and does the Beh. 'V-Amp' have the problem ? (last time I looked it was EU99 over here. I like that box for what it is !)

Bye,

Peter

:shock: Something like this?

http://headwize.com/projects/showfile.php?file=meier4_prj.htm

EDITED Just remembered this interesting link, don´t know if it is bullshit or not, or does it make happen something what old Finnish proverb is warning (If you back off in front of a wolf, you´ll face the bear)

But not so overly complicated thingie...

Neeno,

Check this thread out:

http://line6.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=011140

...I think this is the key bit:

With mine, there's not much to it at all...and that's a good thing IMO. The way mine is constructed, is that everything is inside a black metal box approximatly 3 1/2" by 6" and is about 1" thick. It has 4 jacks on the front side- 2 are inputs and 2 are outputs. The only knob on the whole thing is 1 dial (like from a Boss pedal) on the top. This knob switches between the different settings. The higher the setting, the more anti-fizz. It also has 4 small rubber pads underneath so it dosn't slide around.

Sounds like Jakob is on the money here. If there's no power supply then it has to be passive. Have a look at the schem for a tone control for an electric guitar!

:wink:

Mark

Thanks a lot for your replies guys !!!
Finally i think that a good eq can do the job better than any black box...

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeno

[quote author="Nasse"]
http://headwize.com/projects/showfile.php?file=meier4_prj.htm
[/quote]
Mere aperture corrector, exactly the some like
used in video camera amp.
Some detail, video aperture corector can have setting knob
to make moderator s skin soft and nice.
(Some knob to make CD sound nice?)

xvlk

I've got a Pod XT, and don't use it because it sounds like ass.

I should sell it and get a POD Pro. I say, if it's fizzy sounding (and it IS) then forget about it. It's not worth having to toss an eq on it when the original pods sound better.

Hmmm...I might just sell my POD XT and get one of those. Looks like it could be good. It's hard to tell from the .mp3's, but I think it sounds better than the PODs. Wouldn't hurt to try it, I suppose. I have to admit, it would be nice to have that little drum machine so I could toss on some headphones and practice and compose tunes all in one box. The drum machine is pretty cheesy sounding though...but for composing it might be good enough...

gotta watch the videos. to really check it out. Yes the drums are cheesy and are best left out but the amps and guitar FX are awesome. PLus you can sync it up via midi beat clock perfect for vocals or anything else.

Back