Is anyone actually in contact with Igor / I.J Research?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keeeth

Has Igor disappeared completely?

I need a new micro controller for my CRM and there are a lot of people who were sent kits without the controller in the first place.

If anyone is in contact with Igor or the people who work with him please could you ask him to make contact with somebody and provide these micro controllers.

Without it, the whole unit is useless and the working ones a copy protected.

Thanks

keeeth said:

I need a new micro controller for my CRM and there are a lot of people who were sent kits without the controller in the first place.

If anyone is in contact with Igor or the people who work with him please could you ask him to make contact with somebody and provide these micro controllers.

What kind of microcontroller did he use in it? I mean, it should be simple enough to just write new firmware, but I only have ARM and 8051 tools.

-a

Andy Peters said:
keeeth said:

What kind of microcontroller did he use in it? I mean, it should be simple enough to just write new firmware, but I only have ARM and 8051 tools.

-a

If you could rewrite it I would be forever grateful. I believe the microcontroller is a PIC18F4620. Does that sound right?

I have a new one here you could try with if you would like me to send it you?

Cheers

Someone point me in the direction of a schematic/logic overview.

I program PICs in my sleep....

The flip to this is that Igor should be able to provide a hex file so you can flash the new chip.

Did people buy these projects with the PIC pre flashed?

ju

I think getting anything from Igor is a lost hope now. I spoke to the guy who used to work for him and even he said he can't get hold of him and he has sold all the gear he made as he has nowhere to take it if it breaks down.

Someone on here said his friend in Spain has said they have the hex key from Igor but getting it from Spain is proving to be a long thing and I can't really afford to be without my CRM for the amount of time it appears it will take. He is trying though but he is also without his.

Here are some links to the schematics Igor posted for it

http://s251.photobucket.com/user/diy33609/media/schem_audio.gif.html

http://s251.photobucket.com/user/diy33609/media/pcb_audio.gif.html

http://s251.photobucket.com/user/diy33609/media/contr_SCH.gif.html

http://s251.photobucket.com/user/diy33609/media/contr_top.gif.html

http://s251.photobucket.com/user/diy33609/media/contr_btm.gif.html

And here is the support thread with all the info of the project...

http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=30914.0

OK, had a look.

Can't believe he shipped copy protected code.  That would have been the easiest solution (clone an existing mcu).

Whoever takes it on would need a working unit to debug with in order to write replacement code, otherwise it would be driving while blind.

Even with that, I would expect it to take some time.

In reading the description of the problem, it doesn't sound like the microcontroller is at fault.  It sounds more like there is something electronically not right.  I would have a tech start there, checking voltages, etc.  If the microcontroller can boot up into a config mode, and does it's normally programmed thing (you can rotate a dial and the display changes), then it is not the problem.

Regards

ju

I really hope you're right. . It would mean getting it fixed would be a much easier process. I suspect I have shorted out some stuff on there, when I was messing with it. 2 of the backs of PCBs for the remote touched each other while the unit was powered up. I thought that had damaged the chip. But I just deduced that from one of Igors posts so I may have misunderstood. 

So is it a case of, all or nothing with a micro controller then?  The unit still allows me to do things like set the trim for the individual ins and outs so its getting some info but it's main functions such a switching speakers and volume control don't work.

Cheers

keeeth said:
I really hope you're right. . It would mean getting it fixed would be a much easier process. I suspect I have shorted out some stuff on there, when I was messing with it. 2 of the backs of PCBs for the remote touched each other while the unit was powered up. I thought that had damaged the chip. But I just deduced that from one of Igors posts so I may have misunderstood. 

So is it a case of, all or nothing with a micro controller then?  The unit still allows me to do things like set the trim for the individual ins and outs so its getting some info but it's main functions such a switching speakers and volume control don't work.

Some quality time with a fast oscilloscope would be useful. Make sure the power supply voltages are correct. Turn the knobs, push the buttons, make sure the things that are supposed to switch actually do.

A micro isn't necessarily all or nothing; maybe a pin blew up or something. But in my experience (lots-o-years) with them, they rarely die unless there was a significant zap. Peripheral stuff around them tends to go first.

-a

Hey-

I own a custom one off console that Igor built over several years. Supposedly his master piece. whatever.

There are two parts i depend on him for and now that he is nowhere to be found maybe someone can help:

I need the

- OpAmp PCB design so i can order a bunch
- Micro processor for the monitor section (its his CRM built into the console).

So far everything works perfectly, but perhaps one day in the future i will need those. The rest of the stuff is easy to get.

Thanks!

dumbeat said:
Hey-

I own a custom one off console that Igor built over several years. Supposedly his master piece. whatever.

There are two parts i depend on him for and now that he is nowhere to be found maybe someone can help:

I need the

- OpAmp PCB design so i can order a bunch
- Micro processor for the monitor section (its his CRM built into the console).

So far everything works perfectly, but perhaps one day in the future i will need those. The rest of the stuff is easy to get.

Thanks!

Opamp PCB: I dont know which opamp it is you are talking about, but I sell two of Igors opamp designs.

Hey- What might help you identify? i do have a couple spares i can take very detailed photos of...?

Did he have several different designs for his opamps?
How different from one another?
can they sub for each other?

He fixed my board 4 months ago. He replaced some opamps with what he said was an upgraded design.How old are the ones you carry?

Thanks!

I have what he termed a 'cascode' opamp, which is all discrete and was used in his He69 and F76 designs. I believe something similar was used for the albatross preamps.

I also have a hybrid opamp design which can be used in various of his designs.

A photo of your pcb will help me identify. If you have a schematic for it, even better.

Guys,

I have a copy of the CRM HEX code if someone needs  it to get the CRM working. Igor told me shortly before he vanished "only for your own needs" but it seems there's many people needing to get a working MCU, and he might be dead, missing, or something....(i really do hope he is alive and well)

I've burned that code a few times due to  MCU failure.

Contact me thru my homepage if you need it. 

Igor : if you read this,  please don't hate me. I just want to help.

www.camilosilvaf.com

Best regards.

Silvas said:
Guys,

I have a copy of the CRM HEX code if someone needs  it to get the CRM working. Igor told me shortly before he vanished "only for your own needs" but it seems there's many people needing to get a working MCU, and he might be dead, missing, or something....(i really do hope he is alive and well)

I've burned that code a few times due to  MCU failure.

Contact me thru my homepage if you need it. 

Igor : if you read this,  please don't hate me. I just want to help.

www.camilosilvaf.com

Best regards.

Hi,

I sent an email to the address I found on your website. I really appreciate you offering this. You're going to get quite a few people out of a jam I think

Hi guys,

I've received a couple emails asking for the code.

Please make sure your MCU is actually dead before asking. I don't think it's possible to reverse engineer the HEX. (and we should not try to ! Doesn't feel right)

Best regards.

Latest posts

Back