[BUILD] CAPI VPR & 51x~Eleven Space Rack Kits~Official Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsteiger

White Market Member
Since the new style kits are finally shipping, it's time for the support thread!  :)

**These racks are very easy builds. Mechanical assembly skills are as much or more important than electronic assembly skills.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
September 21st, 2015 Update:
All support docs for this project can be found on the recently added
Support Docs page at www.capi-gear.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some details can be found here http://capi-gear.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=87_89_182

And some pron
511-VPR-inside.jpg

511-VPR-back-close.jpg

511-VPR-power.jpg

511-51x-power-2.jpg

511-VPR-PCB.jpg

Cheers, Jeff

Thanks Jeff for high quality kits!!

I just built 2 of the VPR 500 Racks and the Dual VPR Power Supply.  They work great and look fantastic!!
I now have the good problem of having more 500 rack spaces to fill....  ;D

So I'm getting off readings when I test.

Its the VPR rack.

The description is a little confusing on the assembly guide (as it lists #5 as 5th from the top, but the pictures show it as 5th from the bottom)..

Going 5th from top for ground, and  counting #1 as top, and #15 as bottom, i get these readings on each card connector:

#15 -: 64.4V
#14 - 16.3V
#12 - 32.6V

All my measurements are good coming out of the power supply.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi NFC,

All your measurements seem to be 16V off, so you are measuring referenced to -16V instead of referenced to 0V.

Greetz Rogy

nashflashcrash said:
jsteiger said:
Sounds like maybe the wiring for the PSU's DC cable is incorrect?

Is this right?

GRND - 4
CHA - G/Y
+48 - 5
-16 - 2
+16 - 3
No this is not right. From your list above, you have wires #2 and 4 flipped hence why your DCV readings are off by -16V like Rogy mentioned.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 3.40.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 3.40.42 PM.png
    198.2 KB · Views: 106
Just finished my VPR floor box and rack build this weekend, very easy build! I just got everything loaded up and it's looking like channel two isn't passing phantom power. I measured the connector and all the measurements look fine and the same as the rest (-16V, 16V, 48V, etc.). The preamp I first had in the slot that showed this was a VP28 I build last year - there is a bit of a hum from the channel with nothing plugged in that mostly goes away with a mic plugged in, and it's fully functional with a dynamic mic. But when I press the phantom power with a condenser there's a noise similar to a plosive in a vocal, and then the mic never powers up. At first I thought I might have messed something up with the VP28 when loading things into the new rack, but the same preamp works fine in other slots, and my other VP28s and a Lindell 6x500 all exhibit the same behavior when in slot 2. Any ideas? Thank you!

This happens if the card edge connector is mounted upside down  ;)

No, re-solder all pins of that channel again. You may have a bad or none ground connection on the input XLR, or the card edge connector.
With so many solder points a phone call or is enough to forget and oversee one or two.

[silent:arts] said:
This happens if the card edge connector is mounted upside down  ;)

No, re-solder all pins of that channel again. You may have a bad or none ground connection on the input XLR, or the card edge connector.
With so many solder points a phone call or is enough to forget and oversee one or two.
Ha, you had me going there for a minute, shouldn't have read this at 6am!

Today I opened it up, re-soldered all the pins of the connector and XLR and reassembled, only to realize that the issue was actually with that particular channel of my snake that is feeding it. So that makes four items I've bought from you that I've built that have worked flawlessly right away - thanks so much for putting such great kits together! I've built other complex things since first building my first two VP28s, but everything from your shop has been a blast to build. Can't wait to check out all those sweet new EQs!

Are the existing documents on the CAPI site good to follow for the newly released (July 2017) kits?

I've got a fresh VPR kit here, but it is slightly different to the documented kit. Split PCBs and soforth..

Thanks

lachlan.vercoe said:
Are the existing documents on the CAPI site good to follow for the newly released (July 2017) kits?

I've got a fresh VPR kit here, but it is slightly different to the documented kit. Split PCBs and soforth..

Thanks
The top link is what is published right now.
http://capi-gear.com/catalog/support_docs.php#11rack

Current 511-VPR Rev's
-Temp 511 Assembly Aid .zip  [Last upload 6/24/2017]

It is more specific to the DB25 version but is easily applied to the XLR version as well.

will the CAPI rack support both standard 500 series preamps, and the 24v 51x~11  500 series preamps? or are there two different racks and power supplies to get? OR do I just buy two of the VPR XLR racks from CAPI, and the 51x PSU and plug everything into the  and be happy for ever? :D

curranm said:
will the CAPI rack support both standard 500 series preamps, and the 24v 51x~11  500 series preamps? or are there two different racks and power supplies to get? OR do I just buy two of the VPR XLR racks from CAPI, and the 51x PSU and plug everything into the  and be happy for ever? :D
My racks have the 15-pin standard 500 series card edge connectors. They do not support the 24V 51x format. If you want that you need to order from Volker Mayer or Cemal Ozturk. I provide the email address on the rack product pages of my website.

I do currently have the 51x version of the Floor Box PSU in stock.

OK, Awesome ONE more question then, can I use the Volker Rack WITH standard 500 series modules like yours ? are they backwards compatible? I want to have the option if I buy any of the 24v modules out there.

Back