FEELER - Universal Tube Microphone PSU

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matador

This is a feeler thread for a new universal PSU enclosure for tube microphone projects.  In reality, it is a triple-rail PSU that is also suitable for tube preamp projects as well.

This PSU board is designed to make use of the stock Alctron dual-secondary supply, which has a 9.5VAC tap and a 200VAC tap.  However I think there are some more custom winds in the works, and I think some of the small Triad Magnetics torroids might fit in the stock PSU as well.  If you are placing this in your own case then the sky is the limit.

Supply 1 - Heater Supply

Designed to adjust between 4.7V and about 13V.  The maximum is really limited by the 9.5V AC secondaries of the stock Alctron transformer, so if you plan on reusing it it will only do parallel heaters.  I did manage to sustain over 700mA load so this shouldn't be an issue.  Those wanting to do series heaters will need to find a different transformer, as the 9.5V secondaries won't supply enough headroom to the regulator to put out the required 12.6V after regulation.  If you supply a separate torroid for the heater supply then you will be fine with regulating up to 12.6V.  There is enough heatsink capacity to squeeze 4, 350mA heaters in parallel if you wanted to try powering a dual-tube preamp with it.

This heater supply is fully isolated from ground:  hence you can do positive or negative heater supplies by tying one of either sides of H+ or H- to ground.  For stock positive supplies you tie H- to ground, and for negative you tie H+.  This makes this compatible with U47-like projects, or hybrid projects that use a negative heater to generate the grid bias voltage.

Supply 2 - Bias Supply

This is cap coupled from the heater AC supply so it is fully isolated as well.  It is adjustable from 0V down to -2.5V.  If you want more negative adjustment range it's a simple resistor change.  I managed to pull over 10mA from this supply so it is more than enough for bias duties.  Unlike the stock C12 design, this one is fully regulated, so it is a true fixed bias supply.

Supply 3 - B+ Supply

The design is meant to be adjustable from approximately 70V up to about 200V with the stock BOM, which should be good to cover most tube microphone duties.  The range can be biased upward with a single resistor change (for perhaps a range of 120V to 250V for tube preamp duty).

I'm not sure of the VA spec of the 200V secondary on the Alctron PSU, but I would guess this should be good to about 50mA or so (which is about 10VA), which is enough to drive quite a few tube gain stages, even for higher current tubes like 12AT7's.  I wanted this to also be compatible with stock CCDA microphone stages so this should be plenty for that purpose.

This B+ supply is also fully regulated, so once set for a target voltage it should stick even with tube swaps.  The supply is also floating as well, which means you could implement a negative B+ supply (for whatever reason).

Pics

IMG_20140212_091943.jpg

IMG_20140212_092005.jpg

IMG_20140212_092016.jpg

IMG_20140212_092026.jpg

The polarity of the various supplies is decided right at the wire headers:  you can bridge a short wire-lead jumper from various ground points to make supplies positive or negative.  I'll be testing the prototype with a standard C12 design, which means positive heaters.

IMG_20140221_081853.jpg

IMG_20140221_083548.jpg

Testing on the first prototype has been positive:  essentially every works properly.  I have some BOM and layout tweaks to make it perfect though, and once I have that done I'll post the details.

Of course I'll recommend my current winning BOM formula, which is Nichicon high-temp VZ electrolytic caps, Vishay CCF60 2W flame-proof metal film resistors, Bournes sealed multi-turn trimmer pots, and Phoenix connector blocks.

To gauge interest, please post here to the thread with any questions or if you are interested in this project prior to the first board run so we can understand the quantities.  My thought had been that it would be available as a separate project, and I believe that Chunger is in the process of obtaining loose PSU's to support them being built stand-alone (but don't quote me until I can confirm).

I'll take a few!!  ;D It would also be great to have the pseudo fixed bias of the c12 ,space permitting of course.. Also just to be clarify is the regulated heater supply quiet(ripple free)enough for positive biasing the cathode as is done with in Olivers Archut's U47 schematic where the positive bias is tapped from the heater supply into the cathode?

What kind of voltage regulators did you use for high and low voltage ?

Nice work !

LM317T for heater and bias voltages, and TL783C for B+.

Great, I'll think in the same way just with LT1086H instead of LM317T. When they will be available I am interested for a few ones.

This is really sick matador!!!! What i've been needing for every mic for a while now. although you'll always have your "passive psu's sound better" purists. i'm yet to be able to hear the difference.

I'm in for a few too. lets get this moving!

This is gonna be perfect for my c800g build and my current u67.

The resistor change for higher b+ would be necessary for both of these builds.

as for dans elam 251 is there a way to incorporate the relay switching for those who wish to use remote relay pattern control.

Cheers

J

OPR said:
I'll take a few!!  ;D It would also be great to have the pseudo fixed bias of the c12 ,space permitting of course.. Also just to be clarify is the regulated heater supply quiet(ripple free)enough for positive biasing the cathode as is done with in Olivers Archut's U47 schematic where the positive bias is tapped from the heater supply into the cathode?

I second this question.

I also have a couple of my own.

1) Matador, you have repeatedly stated that the C12 is not a true fixed bias design. "Unlike the stock C12 design, this one is fully regulated, so it is a true fixed bias supply." So how exactly does this differ, and will we be able to use the Universal Tube Microphone PSU for a C12?

2) You gave a reason for the max heater voltage limit, but is there a particular reason for the lower limit of 4.7V for the heater? Or could you get it even lower with a component swap?

I'm also looking forward to sound clips comparing this PSU to the original passive design. I think you yourself mentioned the impedance of the PSUs would be different.

Melodeath00 said:
1) Matador, you have repeatedly stated that the C12 is not a true fixed bias design. "Unlike the stock C12 design, this one is fully regulated, so it is a true fixed bias supply." So how exactly does this differ, and will we be able to use the Universal Tube Microphone PSU for a C12?

Fixed bias means that the bias voltage is not dependent on plate current.  On a C12, there is a resistor in the PSU that develops the negative bias, and that bias depends on the plate current returning to ground to establish the bias.  Hence it is not "fixed bias" (in fact, if you asked the tube, it would tell you it looks like an unbypassed cathode-bias scheme).

Real fixed bias means that the bias voltage doesn't change as plate current changes.  In this design, the bias voltage is coupled from the transformer secondary, and then regulated to within 0.01% by an LM317T.  Thus the voltage is fixed and doesn't change as plate current changes....hence it's "true" fixed bias.

But yes, this is plug and play with the existing C12 design (provided the same pinout definition is adhered to on the 7-pin XLR between the supply and the mike).

Melodeath00 said:
2) You gave a reason for the max heater voltage limit, but is there a particular reason for the lower limit of 4.7V for the heater? Or could you get it even lower with a component swap?

Yes indeed.  The LM317T won't go below 2.5V however unless you ground the adjust terminal, or make a provision to jumper across the "minimum setting" resistor.

Melodeath00 said:
I'm also looking forward to sound clips comparing this PSU to the original passive design. I think you yourself mentioned the impedance of the PSUs would be different.

Me too:  I'm interested to see if there are audible differences:  we'll have to do this double blind to make it official though. ;)

David Bock told me the original C12 did have a fixed bias.  Is he speaking in different terms, did the C12 have a fixed bias at "some point", or is that just mis0information?  Not trying to prove or disprove anyone, just curious as to what it really was.  I understood it was NOT a fixed bias.

Category 5 said:
David Bock told me the original C12 did have a fixed bias.  Is he speaking in different terms, did the C12 have a fixed bias at "some point", or is that just mis0information?  Not trying to prove or disprove anyone, just curious as to what it really was.  I understood it was NOT a fixed bias.

Not on any schematic I have seen, but I'm sure I haven't seen them all.  ;) 

I've seen him posting here so maybe he can chime in for reference.

yeah it is fixed bias, the parallel cap and resistor are inside the power supply instead of in the mic (elam 251)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-25 at 5.38.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-25 at 5.38.21 AM.png
    185.8 KB · Views: 58
JessJackson said:
yeah it is fixed bias, the parallel cap and resistor are inside the power supply instead of in the mic (elam 251)

That is most definitively not fixed bias. 

As I said above, the return plate current develops the bias against the "upper" resistor:  as current increases, bias voltage "increases" (e.g. gets more negative), which reduces plate current.  The magnitude of the resistance determines the quiescent point, no different from a regular cathode resistor.  In order to be "fixed bias", the bias point cannot change with a change in plate current. 

Fixed bias common in guitar amplifier tube output stages:  a negative bias voltage is generated from a separate winding of the power transformer, which is then sent to the grids of the output tubes via resistors.  This bias voltage is tweakable so that static power dissipation can be adjusted with each tube set.

Latest posts

Back