filling da holes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony dB

Does anyone knows a solution that looks ok for filling wrong drilled holes in boxes or frontpanels?

I'm looking for something like a rubber tap. I had 8 boxes prepared for 4 potentiometers but changes i made make it possible to use only 2 leaving a couple of very unsexy holes :?

how does one call these gizmos in decent English btw?

Cherio,

Tony

good tip!
Thanks TestPoint

Have some cartuners around here in the neighbourhood, will check em out first thing tomorrow

You can put solder in the hole, then remove the excess with abrasive paper and then paint the panel. I've done this to shape the corners of a little box I built and that wasn't what you can call "perfect"... :grin:

Frank

Hello Tony,

I have had success filling unwanted holes in panels that I ended up painting, and that didn't have any type of profile (like if it is brushed), and it worked perfectly (couldn't tell from the front that there had been holes). Here's what I did (note: it's not quick & easy):

- Tape wax paper (the kind for cooking/baking) very tightly over the hole, from the front side
- Flip the panel so that the front is pointing down, and make sure the holes are laying against something that will give support to the front flat surface (I used a pencil eraser)
- Fill the hole from the back with this (I don't know if you have it where you are, but you might have something silmilar):
http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php
- After it has dried, run some fine sandpaper across the front, to blend it as much as possible with the area around the hole

Maybe this beautiful drawing will make things more clear:
fill_holes.jpg

Hope this helps. :guinness:

Best Regards,
Jesus

Autobody filler works too.

I like the solder idea also. Put a aluminum (not copper, copper works for the mig welder, oops!) plate underneath the hole to hold the solder . The copper won't stick, so you can pull it off after the solder has dried.
Won't work on aluminum.

I used something called Loctite Liquid Metal Filler on a few front panel holes and it worked great - had to do it a couple of times to get it right though - after sanding and painting there's no trace of the holes. Pretty strong too.

never thought of that neither

:grin:

Looks these boxes wont be lost :green:

:sam: Gentlemen, have one on me.

Cheers,

Tony

Latest posts

Back