EV SP12 full range speakers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrmintz

I just found a pair of these in my cellar. I swear the stuff grows there!!! Anybody familiar with them? Are they any good?

Thanks.

> EV SP12 full range speakers

SP12.jpg

Refresh my dim memory (I have the tag here, but not the speaker). SP12 is a cone with a sub-cone, does not have the metal horn tweeter? I think the coaxial tweeter makes it an SP12-AXC or something.

Lots of midrange. Surprisingly good treble ON axis, though hardly smooth. Because it has very high efficiency for a 12" (2.1%), bass seems weak. You can put it in a very small box and get a good thump at 90Hz, but it takes a huge vented box and careful craftsmanship to extend down to 50Hz without a lot of droop.

Power handling was rated 25W. You can make a loud sound with a 75W amp, but serious power will burn the shellac off the coil.

A pretty-OK big one-way cone. With the tweeter and a big box, EV sold these as studio monitors. Radio studio; they are not to be trusted in mastering. Pretty beamy in the mids.

In a 1 cubic foot box, was a killer stage monitor for not-loud acts. But you can do a lot better today with mini-speakers in plastic boxes.

Might work OK as a guitar speaker. It won't be a JBL or Jensen, but may be a useful different flavor.

Over about a 30 degree cone of coverage, one of the most intelligible speech speakers ever made.

SP12 is a cone with a sub-cone, does not have the metal horn tweeter?

That's right. Thanks, PRR. I'll give them a listen. Sounds like they might be interesting.

Latest posts

Back