lacquering frontpanel express faceplates

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C37 is the name of the cap connected to the 337 regulator, hence the name.

But back to the topic: I have some material samples from Schaeffer laying around, if think I should try to lacquere it. But lacquere on normal aluminium surfaces isn't really working. And the Schaeffer panels are not anodised at the edges, so this might be a problem.

[quote author="Michael Krusch"]C37 is the name of the cap connected to the 337 regulator, hence the name.[/quote]

Huh? :?

This is C37.

Peace,
Al.

Do you mean like a clear coat? I'd try the clear automotive stuff that they spray on with a paint gun. I think they sell something in a spray can you can do yourself...

Good luck!

Peace,
Al.

[quote author="alk509"][quote author="Michael Krusch"]C37 is the name of the cap connected to the 337 regulator, hence the name.[/quote]

Huh? :?

This is C37.

Peace,
Al.[/quote]

My posting was just the continuation of Frank's joke. Forget to add one of these: :grin: :green: :wink:

[quote author="Michael Krusch"]C37 is the name of the cap connected to the 337 regulator, hence the name.[/quote] :green: :green:

I wouldn't recommended to send any self laquered panels to schaeffer!
I talked to the nice woman at schaeffer and she told me some horror stories of laquer which flaked off!

If you want to laquer yourself...
Please sand the blanc panel with two kinds of different sand-paper... raw and fine
Use silicone remover to make the panel free of grease.
Apply ground-coat on the panel, let it all dry and sand the surface again with fine sand-paper.
Then laquer the panel with the colour you want, i've been told that the drying time without an oven lasts 1-2 weeks.
You could also try to add more layers of laquer and clear varnish.

I haven't ever tried to laquer panels for engraving yet... only for letraset or so...
Last month I let some panels professionally laquered at a local pain-shop... They used sand paper (on a maschine), silicone remover and just a primer... I don't wanted a ground coat because it is thicker than just the primer... and a primer don't needs to be sanded again. Also an accelerator/harder was given into the laquer and no clear varnish was needed.
The engraving on the panel itselfs was superb. But the laquer flaked off at the edges where the panel was mounted :? Iam sure thats because the varnisher doesn't sanded the sides of the panel!

Things I'd learned about laquering frontpanels:
I tried to do this at home, but because the temperature is near to 0°C in my workshop... this doesn't work.
I bought some lacquer at the building-center and they told me... of course this will work on metal... the varnisher says... ah oohh... better don't use THIS...
Inform your varnisher that he should also sand the edges of the panel and use a primer here

The varhnisher mixed the following colours to get the colour i wanted:
200g 5024 RAL
50g 5009 RAL
40g SPIES/HECKAR 553 Lasurazurblau
40g SPIES/HECKAR 502 schwarz

That are much different colours for one colour. :green:

Frank.

Latest posts

Back