matched pair of Neve 1084s + step attenuators OR EZ1084 + EZ1290LE the hard way

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again thanks guys!!
Like I said this forum made it possible!
BTW I just figured out how to implement my GDIY gallery, so now I was able to get rid of the thumbnails and If I knew that before I opened the thread I wouldn't have had to make a dedicated post for every pic - but, well life's learning ;)

What did you do about the "pot center" position, just ignore it so there are 12 cut levels and 12 boost levels, but you have to select "off" on the freq switch to go to "0"?
I am considering something like this, but installing a toggle switch to select a set of resistors for the pot "0" position, so one can quickly toggle between the two...

nielsk said:
What did you do about the "pot center" position, just ignore it so there are 12 cut levels and 12 boost levels, but you have to select "off" on the freq switch to go to "0"?
I am considering something like this, but installing a toggle switch to select a set of resistors for the pot "0" position, so one can quickly toggle between the two...

Curious about this to.
The Neve 1076 for example that used stepped pots had "only" 23 positions with 0 in the middle and 11 steps each for boost and cut.
Also, did you do the steps equal all the way with the same amount of boost/cut between the steps?

That's what I did - the attenuators only have 23 pos. - 11cut, 11boost and one "0" position ;)

Like the pots in the original 1084,  all attenuators are linear - so same amount of cut and boost between the steps.

API said:
nielsk said:

Curious about this to.
The Neve 1076 for example that used stepped pots had "only" 23 positions with 0 in the middle and 11 steps each for boost and cut.
Also, did you do the steps equal all the way with the same amount of boost/cut between the steps?

rainton said:
That's what I did - the attenuators only have 23 pos. - 11cut, 11boost and one "0" position ;)

Like the pots in the original 1084,  all attenuators are linear - so same amount of cut and boost between the steps.

API said:
nielsk said:

Curious about this to.

Very cool.
I am doing the same thing on my 1081´s so could you be so kind to share the resistor values you are using?
Did you measure how much gain in db each step cut/boost?

Well, calculating the resistor values for linear attenuators is pretty simple:
For instance two of the the attenuators in the 1084 are 10K LIN pots.

To find out the steps for a 23pos step attenuator you calculate  10.000 / 22
because 23 positions means 22 resistors ;)

So in this case 10.000/22 = 454ohms

Now if you wanna be spot on buy a bucket full of 470ohm
resistors and measure them for 454ohm  ;D

Hey  Rainton!

I love the job you did with your 1084's!  love the face plate and knobs, switches... everything!  Is it possible for me to get the faceplate here in the isa? Or can you PM me the details where did you get it from?

I'll really appreciate that!!

THANKS!

Thanks for your kind words kmozart!

I designed this faceplate myself close to the original 1084 layout but with some extra features and it was custom made here in Germany to my specifications - so it's not available anywhere really...I'm sorry.  :-\
It was a lot of work and not cheap at all, but I wanted it to be perfect!

@jobot: the inner blue filter knobs are regular grey ones from classicapi.com which I spray painted blue ;)

Fair enough!  I have to worm up my chair with photoshop i guess! 

What program did you use for the design?

I used Adobe Illustrator to design the logos and little graphics, Corel Draw to convert them to hpgl files which are necessary for Frontpanel Designer to be able to read them and then Frontpanel Designer to finish the layout...
:)

I got it made in photoshop. Spend lots of time today. Can I open .psd file in Corel Draw?  I used to use a lot Corel in the past,.. 

I'm on a Mac now, Did you use it on a Mac? 

I Imported my file from photoshop to Corel Draw, i can see it good there. Created first the document size of a 2U rack, then imported the photoshop in there. After exporting it to hpgl, front panel designer can not see it. Imports the file, but is only like a dot on the rack panel ... Any tips how to do hpgl in corel?

Thanks!

rainton this is definitely my dream project.  Looks amazing!

I'm wondering from where will you feed 48V DC for phantom once you will insert the preamp section? 

The power connector is a 4 pin XLR type. So 0v, +24vdc and +48vdc come into the case that way. The +48v goes directly to the EZ1290LE's power input connector. The rest of the wires come from matching connectors on EZ1084EQ and EZ1290LE.

Cheers

Jim

@Kaji: what Jim Said  ;)
and thanks - like I said this forum inspired me so much, and I'm glad now to be able to inspire others in turn.

@kmozart: sorry for not getting back to you – I have so much work at the studio right now…
You cannot just export graphics from Corel Draw as hgpl.file like that, especially not if it's pixel graphics from Photoshop or you will get something like you did as a result.
It has to be a vector graphic with a closed path and just all elements of one color at a time – or if you want to be on the safe side just one graphic element at a time.
And even though my real job is a graphics and motion graphics designer I'm not a pro when it comes to hgpl files and Front panel designer, so maybe there is a better way...

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back