matched pair of Neve 1084s + step attenuators OR EZ1084 + EZ1290LE the hard way

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow what a beauty! Brings tears to my eyes! :)

Hey I'm almost ashamed to ask this as the whole thing is a custom masterpiece but, where did you find that big toggle switch for the power? (Blushing)

Doing my first project and I'm having trouble finding one like yours!

Again, amazing work!

XAXAU said:

Hey I'm almost ashamed to ask this as the whole thing is a custom masterpiece but, where did you find that big toggle switch for the power? (Blushing)

Again, amazing work!

Thanks!! ;)

That's just a regular Carling toggle switch - google "carling switch" and you'll find!

rainton said:
XAXAU said:

Again, amazing work!

Thanks!! ;)

That's just a regular Carling toggle switch - google "carling switch" and you'll find!
Thanks man! Hey is that the standard facenut or the  "dress" facenut? Is it DPDT G-Series?

http://www.carlingtech.com/sites/default/files/documents/Bushing%20Accessories.pdf

No I think it's the 110/216 series
I think I used an SPDT for the neve (but I'm can't remember - I just used what I had laying around)

You could even use an SPST  for the EZ1084 especially since it's powered by an external DC power supply with a dedicated power switch to disconnect it from AC...

Finally found the time to complete both channels with the mic pre options! :)

My unit is featuring prototypes of Bluzzi's 1290LE pcb.

And even though the 1290LE was designed to have a separated controls from the EZ1084 and actually would need extra space on a front panel, or even an entirely different box by itself, I  wanted to stay as close to the original layout as possible.

If just building the 1290LE the way Jim  designed it, with Grayhill and pushbutton switches,  it should be VERY straight forward and EZ! :)

As mentioned before I had the 1290LE in mind when building my 2-1084 and I'm glad it worked the way I wanted!
Even though the enclosure is 38cm deep this box is fully packed now!!

I had to do a lot of handwiring again and also work close to the schematics e.g. for wiring the gain switch, since the original has 13 pos. for the Mic section plus 2 OFF positions as to where the EZ1290 LE has 12 positions for mic and no off positions.
Also the PAD and the Impedance switches are handwired in this unit to swichtes on the rear panel.

308wpeh.jpg

2dw6rna.jpg

Like the 1084 pcbs, the 1290LE pcbs are stacked

30k353o.jpg

Phantom Power is wired directly from the 48V rail of the power supply even though there's an option for it on the 1290LE pcb -
but I had prepared it this way already before receiving the 1290s

bge0rm.jpg

For anyone thinking about adding the 1290LE to your EZ1084 - do it!! This mic preamp sounds fantastic!!
And being able to shape the mic signal with the 1084 right there is golden!!
I was using it with an SM57 while checking if everything was working and I was amazed by how great a 57 can actually sound!  ;D

I can only imagine how amazing it will sound with my U47...  :eek:

Kudos to Jim for the design work and thanks a 1000 times for making this possible!

Its a beauty!

Are you talking about Mariaanse`s EZ1290? I didn`t know Bluzzi was behind it.

So the unit can take both line ins and mic ins, selected by a switch? But still just one gain switch?

fragletrollet said:
Its a beauty!

Are you talking about Mariaanse`s EZ1290? I didn`t know Bluzzi was behind it.

So the unit can take both line ins and mic ins, selected by a switch? But still just one gain switch?

Thanks!
No it's not Marianse's 1290, it's a prototype of Bluzzi's 1290LE.
He designed it specifically for the use with the EZ1084 and is missing the complete output section  because it's already there on the EZ1084.

If you used the regular 1290 you would have the signal going through another output tranny and output amp before hitting the input of the EQ.

There's no dedicated switch on my unit to select between mic and line signal - the gain switch IS THIS SWITCH.
It's exactly as in the original - the switch has 22 positions:
7 for the LINE stage, then an OFF position, then the first MIC stage, then another OFF position and then the 2nd MIC stage - 13 positions for all MIC stages together.

But as mentioned before Bluzzi's 1290LE pcb was indeed designed to have a dedicated mic gain switch and also a switch to select between mic and line - I just didn't use them because I wanted the original layout

The things you guys come up with never cease to amaze me! Truly beautiful craftmanship. I've been really sick all week here and not being able to answer.

I'd love to hear music that was mixed through these guys (or ladies as you prefer).

By the way yes Martin did make some of the early EZ1290LE boards as I asked him to. But it wasn't really worth it for him to continue so I designed my own as I had already promised people that I would make them available.

Cheers

Jim

Very curious about the the dual concentric switches used in this, as well as the center stepped switches in place of pots. What make/model are they. I have 2 1084 pcbs I've had sitting that im finally getting around to and would like to attempt something similar to your build. Any info on the switches is very much appreciated.

jobot said:
Very curious about the the dual concentric switches used in this, as well as the center stepped switches in place of pots. What make/model are they. I have 2 1084 pcbs I've had sitting that im finally getting around to and would like to attempt something similar to your build. Any info on the switches is very much appreciated.

I can't be sure but I believe he used Elma. Those are top of the line quality. You may find cheaper chinese built but I would not use those in such as high end project. Stick to Elma.

Got some Elma and Blore Edwards switches. Next steps order the transformers and inductors and start stuffing the pcb, I think at that poit ill start a new thread Screenshot_20220330-020340_Instagram.jpg

Got some Elma and Blore Edwards switches. Next steps order the transformers and inductors and start stuffing the pcb, I think at that poit ill start a new thread View attachment 92197
I can only imagine how much those switches were. Especially the Blore Edwards ones. Keep us in the loop by posting link to new thread you start. Great panels too!

The things you guys come up with never cease to amaze me! Truly beautiful craftmanship. I've been really sick all week here and not being able to answer.

I'd love to hear music that was mixed through these guys (or ladies as you prefer).

By the way yes Martin did make some of the early EZ1290LE boards as I asked him to. But it wasn't really worth it for him to continue so I designed my own as I had already promised people that I would make them available.

Cheers

Jim
Hi, I just bought a pair of your EZ1084 boards AND a pair of the EZ1290LE Boards - unfortunately I don't have any documentation on both - especially I did not find any information, BOM or build thread for the 1290LE.. could you please help me with this?

Cheers

Norbert

Hi, I just bought a pair of your EZ1084 boards AND a pair of the EZ1290LE Boards - unfortunately I don't have any documentation on both - especially I did not find any information, BOM or build thread for the 1290LE.. could you please help me with this?

Cheers

Norbert
Oops sorry for delay in response. Please send the request to [email protected] and I will get you the links to the docs. Please let me know what version of the board you have. The EZ1290LE boards were prototypes and not production ones. I sent them to a few builders for free.

I'll wait for your email.

Cheers

Jim

Back