MOLEX connectors for G9

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony dB

Hi,

I have my RS-catalog on my lap but can't figure out what type of MOLEX seems ok and what type of pins i need. (first time ordering)
i used premade before but at the given price and quality of those :roll: DIY rocks :thumb: I will need to screan those at least, so i guess making them from microphonecable will yield way better results :cool:

Does anyone of the G9 builders (or in whatever gear you used them huh?) inhere, ordered MOLEX from RS or any other company, what did you use?
Do i need to buy a pitch krimptool (no problem) or are there solderversions as well?

As always BIG Thanks for your kind coöperation my friends,

Cheers :guinness:

Tony

Molex? :shock:

Okay, you're mad. That's all there is to it.

Molex generally are not suitable for low-crackle repeated insertion and removal. Ask any MCI service engineer.

can't figure out what type of MOLEX seems ok
That's because they're not OK for this! :evil:

A pox on molex. If you can't find an XLR, look harder! -For the love of all that is decent and good, don't use a Molex!!!

Keef

if i have missed something concerning Molex connectors i'm willing to learn...
but what is everyone using then to connect pcb's to eachother?
i just want to use the same of what i see on all those lovely pictures from the ones who finished their G9's before me :?
Cheers,

Tony

[quote author="tony dB"]Does anyone of the G9 builders (or in whatever gear you used them huh?) inhere, ordered MOLEX from RS or any other company, what did you use?[/quote]
What PCB do you have? The one from Gustav?

For that you can get headers from either Farnell or Elfa that fit. You can probably get some from RS as well. You should look for types with 0.6*0.6mm pins or slightly larger. 0.64*0.64mm will probably be too big.

The caps I use are made by Harwin. One of the order codes (Farnell) is 865606. The terminals are 865795. I don't remember the part number of the headers, but they are black and meant for 0.9mm PCB holes. I can look them up if you can't find them. They are available in many sizes (2, 3, 4 and up - dual row types also). I have switched to headers from Elfa, as they are a lot cheaper. But I still buy the caps and terminals from Farnell...

Do i need to buy a pitch krimptool (no problem) or are there solderversions as well?
You can only get the crimp versions. But you don't need a special tool. I "crimp" them with my sidecutter, and add a small blop of solder afterwards. Don't use too much solder, as you will fill the connector with solder then...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

I bought a £8 crimper - all the crimper does is fold the sides over ...

like this...

___

to this

/_\

With the unclad wire in the middle...

That's all the crimper does - so.. my experience - you can do the same with a pair of pliers.

Sometimes I give it a bit of solder as well - not too much or you can't insert it...

I use Molex connectors - or similar cheap versions

From memory... you can;t mix and match Molex and cheap connectors - it's all down to a "bump" on the on the Molex Male - the cheap ones don't have the "bump" so you can't mount the cheap female!!!!)

Ah. I just made soldered links on my boards. No interconnects.

Hehehe... I thought you were thinking of replacing the XLR with a molex!!! -I was about to call and have you institutionalised! :wink:

Keef

Latest posts

Back