Yamaha PM2000 Power Supply Upgrade Question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darnell

Hey there,

Kind of green in regards to PS replacement, so bare with me.

I have just acquired a Yamaha PM2000 24 ch mixer.  It came with a working PS, though the 48v phantom is not working.  Since I'm only using the board for mixing, phantom isn't an issue and I won't be tracking with it anytime soon. 

I am in the beginning stages of wiring patchbays/figuring out routing.  I am also getting together a list of parts for recapping, and I'm wondering what the best plan of attack would be for the PS. I have read numerous posts about how an upgraded power supply will work wonders sonically on an old board like this.  More so than just replacing the channel caps. Problem is, I got the whole board with PS for $1000. I'm not looking to spend twice that on a new power supply, so just wondering if it would make more sense to grab a few acopian supplies to take care of the +/- 24v for main power and what looks like a 10v , 16v, and 24v supplies for meters and lights and the headphone amps. All 2A?  Or will recapping the power supply with new elecs take care of the OG supply shortcomings?  Are there any values I should increase for better filtering/performance? 

And where do I want regulated or unregulated supplies?  All of this may seem elementary, but I can't seem to gather enough info to comfortably make a decision, and I def don't want to blow up the console!!! 

Not sure of the specifics on this.  So any guidance would be awesome.  Just to see if my assumptions would be correct, wondering if these fit the bill, roughly. 

+/-24v mains
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACOPIAN-24V-OUTPUT-2-1A-DC-POWER-SUPPLY-A24MT210-/331173664624?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d1b7d1770

24v -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acopian-Power-Supply-B24G500-/161260376117?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item258bde1035

The board schematics/lots of other info is here. 

http://www.pmtaudio.com/yamaha-pm2000-page/

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Daryl

I vote for working with the PW2000 that came with it. It's got everything you need to supply all parts of the console exactly how they need it.
Especially if your budget's tight, there's no need to upgrade when you haven't even heard it yet. I'm using a recapped supply and my 2000 is running lovely.
GREAT deal you got there btw.

MountCyanide said:
I vote for working with the PW2000 that came with it. It's got everything you need to supply all parts of the console exactly how they need it.
Especially if your budget's tight, there's no need to upgrade when you haven't even heard it yet. I'm using a recapped supply and my 2000 is running lovely.
GREAT deal you got there btw.
Thanks MountCyanide.

I've been using it a couple days now. Sounds great. Been running full mixes through it. Def does a cool eq/widening thing to the instruments going out and back in. One thing that ive noticed is that the lows get rolled off slightly on kick and low mids are less there. Or high/high mids get boosted.  Could be my pres on my interfaces. Let me know what your experiences are as well.

I had planned on recapping the ps i have anyway. Just wondered if there were tricks as far as values that help beef it up.

I plan on doing some opamp swaps on busses too. Lots of ideas, but wanted to start at the ps.

It was a good deal. It came short loaded with only 21ch, but i rarely need more than 20, so unless i find some channels to fill it out, im not too worried.

D

Nope, haven't had an issue like that. I send both my console master buss and a direct signal from my converter to the monitor controller and there's definitely no loss.
This thing really is a monster. That's why I was saying to just recap it to spec and if you feel there's an issue or room for improvement then look to juice it up.
But I don't know of any. The basic recap might indeed be the cure for this frequency loss and just a good proper christening.
I've got Hairball/Mnats DIY 990's on 4 Master channels and my stock supply handles it flawlessly. Of course they're perfectly suitable, being 24v.
They sound more open and hi-fi compared to 80100's. Which are no slouches at all to me.

I realize this is an old thread, but I wanted to let you know I have 2 PW2000 power supplies for sale, bench tested. I'm parting out a 32 channel PM2000. I have many spare parts. PM me for details.

Thanx
Chris Mitchell

Hi Chris,

I'm writing about the 2 PW2000 power supplies for sale, bench tested that you have (hope so). Are they ready to supply a yamaha pm2000? If so, I could be interested if you still have them and if the price is good :)

Best,

John

Back