Hairball Audio Rev D 1176 Q-Bias calibration

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclopsound

Hello,

I search high and low but couldn't find a specific thread for the issue I'm having.

I have finished by build and have attempted the calibration steps a number of times to no avail. My main problem is the Q bias adjustment. I have metered .775Vac at the input XLRs and 2.75Vac at the XLR output terminals with the control set as stated Hairball's calibration steps. The problem is, my Q-bias resistor (R59) does nothing to adjust the level on the VU meter. I have turned it both ways a hefty few screws and the voltage nor the meter reading change.

I skipped ahead and performed the null adjustment for the meter without any issue. My main concern at the moment is that there is an issue outside of R59 (Bourns 2K as packaged) which metered fine before I soldered it in.  I can also "hear" the 1k tone somewhere in the circuit when the level is hot enough. Seems a bit strange.  Any thoughts?

Hello,

does VU-meter respond to the variations of the signal level at all? Is so, I'd recommend to measure carefully voltages on the gates of the FETs, there should be around minus 1.5 - 2.0 V, and this voltage should get changed as you rotate Q Bias pot. Maybe, this pot soldered in a wrong way? (sounds silly, but with some types of potentiometers it is posible)

This is what comes to my mind first, please inform as you proceed.

Best,
Andrey

Some things to note....

You can't skip ahead to the other calibrations - once you get qbias sorted out you'll need to REPEAT the calibration steps 2 and 3

Please see my video on how to SET UP the unit BEFORE you begin the q-bias step:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yECKyklD0o

PLEASE POST ALL FURTHER QUESTIONS TO THE REV D SUPPORT THREAD:  http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=20058.0

Good luck!

-Don

cyclopsound said:
Hello,

I search high and low but couldn't find a specific thread for the issue I'm having.

I have finished by build and have attempted the calibration steps a number of times to no avail. My main problem is the Q bias adjustment. I have metered .775Vac at the input XLRs and 2.75Vac at the XLR output terminals with the control set as stated Hairball's calibration steps. The problem is, my Q-bias resistor (R59) does nothing to adjust the level on the VU meter. I have turned it both ways a hefty few screws and the voltage nor the meter reading change.

I skipped ahead and performed the null adjustment for the meter without any issue. My main concern at the moment is that there is an issue outside of R59 (Bourns 2K as packaged) which metered fine before I soldered it in.  I can also "hear" the 1k tone somewhere in the circuit when the level is hot enough. Seems a bit strange.  Any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back