Resource Literature - Suggestions?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannikin

Hello everyone;

I've been lurking on the site for a little while and fairly new to the DIY audio gear scene, I'm getting ready to start building the SSL Clone and a LA2a (just ordered all the Parts). I was wondering if you have any recommendations for reference books that you use and own. I want to learn as much as possible so when I get stuck I can have somewhere to look besides cruising the forums.

Thanks
Cannikin

There is an amazing amount of information on this forum, if you are willing to "cruise" it a little. Please check out the META threads.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=1277

Specifically for noobs, there are links to books, general discussions and external links to theory, etc.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=349

Just have a look around!

Good luck... And welcome to the Lab! (At least that's where this thread should be, anyway.)

I'm pretty new here as well, and have learned a huge amount just spending too much time reading various posts. The very first book I bought on the whole subject was called 'Teach yourself electricity and electronics', written by a guy named Gibilisco. A little light-weight, but very good for the super-basics. I browsed a copy of 'The ART of Electronics', about which I've read many recommendations as a great general compendium. Written by a man named Horiwitz. The first pages were over my head, and it started in pretty quickly with the math, but that was a few months ago, and I have a feeling it would make a lot more sense now. I was in San Francisco this last weekend and stopped in the library and was able to check out their copy of 'The Radiotron Designers Handbook' by Langford, et al. Holy Smoke! It was even bound like a Bible, and from the half hour that I was able to spend with it it made several things click into place for me. The only downside is that it's not an easy book to find these days, since it was printed some time in the forties, I believe. It is also heavy on the math, but I'm proud to say that it actually made sense! Of course, all of this and more is out there somewhere for free on someone's website. I highly recommend following just about any link that someone posts here to their website or someone else's. Read any post you can find from PRR...

For tube and transformer centric tech, the Navy "Basic Electronics" manual, reprinted and sold by Barnes and Noble (and I think I saw it on the web) is a good one for beginners. They used this to teach electronics to just about anyone, and it did pretty well. If Radiotron seems daunting, start here. If I ever get a break from classes, I want to spend some time with it.

Bear

I was in San Francisco this last weekend and stopped in the library and was able to check out their copy of 'The Radiotron Designers Handbook' by Langford, et al. Holy Smoke! It was even bound like a Bible, and from the half hour that I was able to spend with it it made several things click into place for me. The only downside is that it's not an easy book to find these days, since it was printed some time in the forties, I believe.

CJenrick has a collection of scanned .PDF of this gem's fourth edition - warning: it's 54.9Mb...

http://vacuumbrain.com/The_Lab/TA/RDH4/RDH4.zip

No Lab should be without..

Jakob E.

Latest posts

Back