Another noob says Hello...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martino

Hi everyone.

Another total newbie here. Just thought I would say hi. This seems like a great community, very respectful and helpful, etc.

I'm a musician who's been engineering and producing records for bands here in Albuquerque for about 12 years now. For some reason, all the sudden I'm obsessed with building my own gear.
So here I go! I'm totally terrified, it's great! There's so much to read here, I'm just trying to sift through it all and get enough of a clue to start.
I don't even know how to read a schematic yet! YIKES! But I'm in no hurry whatsoever, I just want to do some reading and mess around with some old stuff to learn how to solder, etc. I just scored some Bose commercial power amps that I figure I can hack away at just to learn soldering. The front panels are totally blank, so maybe I can actually use one of the cases for....

My first project will be the SSL, no surprise there i suppose.
I bought a pcb (swedish chef) from an individual on the TapeOP messageboard. (I think there's two, however.... am I right?)

I will be one of those following someone else's part list to the letter. Too clueless to do anything else right now, but the idea of designing my own simple gear thrills me, so I will definately be trying to learn as much theory as I can while I build some clones.

It's really exciting to read about all this. Tons of great info on this forum.
Just thought I would show my face and say hello. Hope I can contribute as soon as I can...

:grin:

Welcome!
WARNING: This place is addicting. Dig in, there are plenty of resources here. If you stick to it, you'll amaze yourself with how much you learn everyday. Keep studying schematics. Learning how to read them is a KEY component in learning more about this stuff.

I learn more and more everyday, thanks to the members here!

I'm just starting "hacking" away at a couple of things as well... this is a great site you'll learn heaps here :cool: BTW that link is great... heaps of useful stuff!

Justin.

yeah, I'm already addicted. I'm a TapeOP junkie, too. My rule is only one internet forum addiction at a time, so what's a guy to do....?

Break the rules, I suppose.
Thanks for the welcome.

Well, If you want to better understand what you have or what you want, stay here. If you want to read about some self-proclaimed recording engineers talk about how to mic a drum set for 8000th time stay there. This is an amazing community, with much to share. If you have an question, someone has an answer. If you really want to learn, someone will give you something more valuable than an answer. They'll give you the knowledge to find the answer yourself. Cheers.

Well, If you want to better understand what you have or what you want, stay here. If you want to read about some self-proclaimed recording engineers talk about how to mic a drum set for 8000th time stay there. This is an amazing community, with much to share. If you have an question, someone has an answer. If you really want to learn, someone will give you something more valuable than an answer. They'll give you the knowledge to find the answer yourself. Cheers.

I hear that. It's a really entertaining place, but nothing like this forum. I can already tell. Seems to be getting surlier by the day over there, too.
Joel Hamilton is a genius and a saint, though. I'll always check out what he has to say.

Latest posts

Back