PCB design software - update

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pstamler

A few weeks ago I posted a request for suggestions for freeware or inexpensive shareware PCB design software. I got several leads, and am now in the process of learning to use FreePCB, with good results. It's really designed for folks who also have a schematic CAD program, but I'm using it to design boards from scratch. So far I've mostly been designing part footprints, since I like my designs a bit better than the stock ones (from Ivex originally); I've done part placement, but haven't tried doing any routing yet.

You need to download the main package, install it, then download the latest update to freepcb.exe and install that over the original.

I can testify, though, that the designer, Allan Wright, is incredibly helpful and nice to deal with. I had a problem unzipping the user guide (the answer was to use the self-extracting version) and with the program suddenly locking up (I'd named a part using a forbidden character); in both cases he came back very quickly with fixes, including debugging my bad file. Good guy.

Oh, they're at:

www.freepcb.com

The software's still not finished, with several features still to be added, but it looks like a good work in progress.

Peace,
Paul

Latest posts

Back