Microscrub.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Jones

When in the distant past I worked for Telecom, in the telephone exchange we were supplied with furry grey strips called Microscrub which we wet with Freon and used to slip back and forth between relay contacts to clean them. Does anyone know if it still exists? It would be awesome for polishing inside edge connectors.

Sounds cooler than the old-fashioned "burnishing strips" I use sometimes. Good luck finding freon nowadays, though :?
We had to get rid of a ten-gallon drum of freon at my job because it's now a "banned" substance. Too bad; that stuff was a great cleaner.

Don't laugh, but a former boss of mine used to make us disassemble the relays on every piece of equipment that came in and clean them with thin slivers of pink pencil eraser, followed up by a light coating of a homemade DeOxit-type contact preservative. (It was made from transmission fluid and some other ingredient which the boss would never divulge to me). It must have worked pretty well, because everything that went out of our shop had an unconditional warranty and stuff very rarely came back.

Microscrub was awesome, it was like a long rubber strip with fine fur on it, carbon grey, almost like a soft, ultrafine velcro, and it really cleaned stuff well. I assume since the exchange equipment was made by Ericsson that perhaps they made it as well.

Latest posts

Back