FCC Part 15 Regulations

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMZ-FX

This issue has come to attention on some of the music forums recently since Electro-Harmonix (New Sensor) was fined $450,000 for not getting in compliance with FCC Part 15 testing and product marking.

Bottom line is that if you manufacture/import/market a digital device that has a clock pulse in it with a frequency greater than 9000 Hz, then you have to have the product tested to make sure that it does not radiate enough energy to interfere with other electronic products. Even if the clock pulse is confined to the inside of the semiconductors, it is subject to the regs. There are exemptions for a few products, such as individual parts or certain kits and test equipment.

Behringer was fined $1,000,000 for Part 15 violations a few years back.

Kustom Musical Amplication was cited by the FCC for a similar offense at the same time as EHX and had to pay a $14,500.00 fine.

August 2012, Fender was fined $132,500.00 for violating Part 15 (FCC File No. EB-10-SE-055).

Also, American Music and Sound: $72,000.00 fine

Marshall was fined $7200.00 for marketing a Class B digital audio radio frequency device in the United States without providing mandatory disclosures to consumers in the device's user manual.

Rane Corp was fined $61,500.00

Gallien-Krueger (bass amps) paid $18,500.00 in fines

ETI Sound Systems: $34,000.00

...and more.

In one case, they took a guy to court for building less than 50 radio transmitters from commercial kits, then selling them.

Compliance will be cheaper than fines in the long run. Get professional legal advice if you have questions about compliance.

regards, Jack

Jack, that's really scary stuff.

Any ideas on what/where to get products tested and marked? (sounds like your a few days ahead of me!)

i just found this: https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/398

/R

You must use an FCC listed test facility. There is a list of domestic test sites here:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/TestFirmSearch.cfm

Last time I checked, I found a test firm who would do it for $2500, but some recent posts say that it can be done for $2000.

Here is a link to the New Sensor compliance document for those interested:

http://www.namm.org/sites/www.namm.org/files_public/New%20Sensor%20FCC%20Compliance%20Guide_v8_0.pdf

What is also interesting is that if you scan the list of FCC citations, they apparently troll Craig's List looking for violators!  :D

regards, Jack

just found the list here:
http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/marketing/

Looks like they went after the music market.

Poor buggers never saw it coming.

It's about EMC/EMI radiated radio emisions from anything that runs faster than 9MHz.

so, if you have any kind of clock in your system that runs faster than 9MHz, your in deep doo-doo.

When I used to repair behringer gear, I would test the mixing boards by running signal through them into a dummy load. The mixers utilized smps and class D amps. The power LED in my tape deck would light! The tape deck was unplugged, but it was sitting on top of the dummy load. This was near an air strip, but I never heard from the FCC.

walter said:
When I used to repair behringer gear, I would test the mixing boards by running signal through them into a dummy load. The mixers utilized smps and class D amps. The power LED in my tape deck would light! The tape deck was unplugged, but it was sitting on top of the dummy load. This was near an air strip, but I never heard from the FCC.

Sounds like they deserved the fine.

ruairioflaherty said:
walter said:

Sounds like they deserved the fine.
Maybe... The violation is for not having submitted the product to test, not because it was defective. The amount of the fine is based on the number of units sold (1 piece=1 violation).
I'm no fan of Mr. B. but it may not be his worst sin.

Exemption for DIY projects: Part 15.23  Home-built devices. (a) Equipment authorization is not required for devices that are not marketed, are not constructed from a kit, and are built in quantities of five or less for personal use.

regards, Jack

AMZ-FX said:
Exemption for DIY projects: Part 15.23  Home-built devices. (a) Equipment authorization is not required for devices that are not marketed, are not constructed from a kit, and are built in quantities of five or less for personal use.

regards, Jack
So we are responsible if building from a kit?

keefaz said:
So we are responsible if building from a kit?

The kit manufacturer is supposed to assemble the kit into a finished unit, and then have it tested to verify that the assembled device complies. However, a sub-assembly does not have to be tested, which is the logic that some online sellers use in not testing circuit boards. The sub-assembly is just a part of a finished device, but the final completed unit needs to be tested. An example would be a SMPS board, that by itself is not useful, and would be installed in a larger piece of equipment.  Get professional advice if you have questions.

Also, if you import an FCC regulated device, even if it has been tested and complies, you have to file a Form 740.

http://transition.fcc.gov/Forms/Form740/740.pdf

How many of the US Ebay sellers of cheap Chinese guitar pedals have filed the Form? Assuming of course that the pedals have been tested, and the Mooer and Daphon pedals that I have were not. Not sure about Joyo or any of the others.

regards, Jack

Rochey said:
What about a 500 module? ;)
:eek:

Let us see it like this:

- It is a sub-assembly.

and for a completed fulfilled DIY Rack I would say:

AMZ-FX said:

So ...

[I'm not a lawyer]

AMZ-FX said:

So... That's pretty much 75% of us... :D

Latest posts

Back