Symetrix 501- no high frequencies

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hereforever

I picked up a Symetrix 501 and its little brother the CL-150 from a seller on Craigslist. It turns out the 501 isn't working right- it sounds really muffled, only low end no high frequencies.  The CL-150 sounds great

Seller said I can return it and get my money back but it seems like it might be a simple problem- I'm just not sure where to start

Symetrix has the schematic online  http://www.symetrixaudio.com/kb/501_sch.pdf  although I think it might be slightly different from mine since I have the toggle switch "valley people" version

"This is somewhat embarrassing, isn’t it?
It seems we can't find what you're looking for. If you have a bookmark to this page, please update it. If you came here from another site, please let the author know to fix the link. Thank you for visiting Symetrix."

EDIT:
Clicking the link doesn't work. You have to copy the link and paste it in the address field of the browser.

The circuit is pretty straightforward, I don't see any components that could cause a HF rolloff.
Is the HF response also restricted at the moment there is no compression/limiting?

He added a dash after the URL. The forum software thinks it is part of the URL. The Symetrix site doesn't.

Surround URLs in forum-posts with spaces only. Anything else is bound to confuse some stupid computer.

hereforever said:
I picked up a Symetrix 501 and its little brother the CL-150 from a seller on Craigslist. It turns out the 501 isn't working right- it sounds really muffled, only low end no high frequencies.  The CL-150 sounds great

Seller said I can return it and get my money back but it seems like it might be a simple problem- I'm just not sure where to start

Symetrix has the schematic online- http://www.symetrixaudio.com/kb/501_sch.pdf- although I think it might be slightly different from mine since I have the toggle switch "valley people" version

I would recap the thing. Replace all the electrolytic type capacitors. Sometimes its easier just to go through and replace all of them in one go, then try and find just the ones that are bad - and hey, preventive maintenance.
The actual audio path on those compressors is extremely simple...so you shouldn't have to look far.

Back