Retired:Symmetrical FET

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the symmetrical fet a cleaner version than the usual v.D?
How well is the stereo-link behaving? Good enough for mastering?

If I want some color, what would I consider then?

This is basically a 1178. It will give VERY good stereo tracking compared to any 1176-setup you can make.

And yes, it's somewhat cleaner than the standard rev. F - but most perceived "sound" still comes from the FET gain-reduction, which is the same as 1176 through all revisions (excluding early non-LN-version 1176's)

Jakob E.

rob_gould said:
Any reason why this won't fit into 1RU if small meters are used Gustav?

Thanks,

Rob

I havent checked it, but no - no reason. The front panel board is not too tall for 1RU, so you should be able to mount it as is.

I was planning on building both a 1 and 2RU this month, when my pots for the kits arrived, but I currently have a suspicion they missed my order, and I will be waiting another 3 months :)

They have dual gang 4M7 pots at Reichelt, which will work with a little leg bending for the PCB.

Gustav.

Gustav said:
rob_gould said:
Any reason why this won't fit into 1RU if small meters are used Gustav?

Thanks,

Rob

I havent checked it, but no - no reason. The front panel board is not too tall for 1RU, so you should be able to mount it as is.

I was planning on building both a 1 and 2RU this month, when my pots for the kits arrived, but I currently have a suspicion they missed my order, and I will be waiting another 3 months :)

They have dual gang 4M7 pots at Reichelt, which will work with a little leg bending for the PCB.

Gustav.

Tak!  Seems like a straightforward and fairly cheap project so I think I'll give it a go when I've cleared a bit of backlog...

This project is just what I'm looking for,
except for maybe one one thing: Sidechain hi-pass-filter
Isn't that important for mastering and 2bus duties?

So, I guess drumbus and masterbus is not the typical application for the Symmetrical FET.
I just need to rethink my setup a little.

G-Sun said:
So, I guess drumbus and masterbus is not the typical application for the Symmetrical FET.
I just need to rethink my setup a little.

I feel the addition of a side chain high pass is a symptom of a problem using the gear in 99 out of 100 times, but opinions will vary on that.

I would not use the symmetrical FET in a mastering type set-up, but who knows - someone might love it in that application.

I think these kinds of questions would be better suited for "Studio A"!?

Gustav

Gustav said:
I feel the addition of a side chain high pass is a symptom of a problem using the gear in 99 out of 100 times, but opinions will vary on that.
I think these kinds of questions would be better suited for "Studio A"!?
Ok, thanks!
So, instead of thinking bus-gluing with low ratio, I could think more bus limiting with higher ratio? Like 8:1 on drumbus or masterbus?
(Sorry for wrong subforum, but I am talking about how to use the gear in question)

I think you could give it a try whatever the situation and see if it met your needs. You could use it acs guitar buss or vox buss, too. Why not using it on your master chan to glue everything together :) i always put a Compressor on my master chan with low ratio to glue and lower the residual peaks :)

Deepdark said:
I think you could give it a try

This!

Its an 1178 clone, and the transformers are different - you can google some opinions on the original unit, or you might be able to rent one, but no matter how many posts you construct on the subject of gear selection, you will not be able to get a Gearslutz type of answer to the questions you are posting.

If you are skilled enough to venture into mastering, you could apply your skills to make a qualified guess about what will work for you, but if you are really unsure, the best route might be to audition and buy a commercial unit.

Hope that helps :)

Gustav

it's always a matter of tastes, too. I saw a lot of time people using this kind of gear in the mastering process with indredible result. I'm sure the design is pretty good here and and could works on a lot of sources. Just my 0.02 :)

by the way, good job Gustav and Jakob!?

Thanks folks!
(I'm not that skilled that I qualify for mastering, but I am stupid enough. So, it may happen anyway :) )

Ratio: I'm a little confused. Is 2:1 supported? I see 4, 8, 12, 20 (as original) on Gustavs frontpanel pdf )

I rarely use anything above 8:1 ..

Is it a problem modding it according to this schemo ?
I believe I'd prefer 2:1 4:1 8:1 and 12:1

I should look up Igors F76 shcemo. Anybody who has it?

G-Sun said:
Is it a problem modding it according to...

You could compare the schematics as a start (at least the part you have to the 1178)

Also, I generally recommend that people build something, make sure they have it working as intended and make observations (with their ears) about the stock circuit before doing modifications.

Hope that helps.

Gustav

Gustav said:
You could compare the schematics as a start (at least the part you have to the 1178)

Also, I generally recommend that people build something, make sure they have it working as intended and make observations (with their ears) about the stock circuit before doing modifications.
Thanks for the tips!
I need to decide on what projects to go for and what frontplates to order (with what text).
I demoed IK Multimedias versions of different compressors, to give me a better clue about which direction to go. Now I'm just more confused.
I'll not clutter this build-thread with more of my confusion.
I'll start a post in Studio A :)

Edit: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/953064-one-man-production-workflow-gear.html#post10396593

Back