Phillips capacitors??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Jones

I have a couple of EMS Synthi Hi-Fli's here, and they are full of those old rectangular color-coded capacitors that look like licorice all sorts. I noticed that the sides have cracked off most of them next to the leads, so the air must be getting to them inside. I can't find any info on their construction, are they polyester? Polyproplylene? Illudium Fosdix? Hope someone out there can fill me in on some capacitor history and suggest the best replacement type.

Are they square with color dots on them?(mica) or are the colors thin stripes that run across the rectangle?(tropical fish caps)
Gus would know. Give him a jingle.
cj

Yep, they are the flat lozenge shaped stripy ones with the leads on one edge - tropical fish is a good description. Just about everyone I have seen in any equipment have the edges cracked off of them.

They are polyester caps. I think the coating often cracks when you install the caps - they are probably the old ones with straight legs?

The caps are still made (in an updated version), so why not replace them with the originals? They are called the 368 series, and they look like this now:

368.jpg

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Thanks Mikkel, thats a big help, I have been wondering for a long time what these were. They look like the ones you pictured, with straight legs and horizontal stripes for their color codes.

I have some of this old tropical fish caps, and I´m not sure you have to replace them just because of cracked corners...

Is there any problems with the function of the units they are in?

There doesn't seem to be any obvious issues from capacitors, just the usual bunch of dead CA3080's, however since the lacquer coating is broken away and you can see the ends of the "plate" stacks, I would assume that there youuld be some oxidisation going on in there.

Back