automation: the 89MotioN system

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watching with great interest!
I would love to do this to my console... I understand the hesitation to making this available but once your all finished I am sure recouping some costs will be of interest :)!!
At least share the pcb files.... ;D ;D ;D

E

tskguy said:
Watching with great interest!
I would love to do this to my console... I understand the hesitation to making this available but once your all finished I am sure recouping some costs will be of interest :)!!
At least share the pcb files.... ;D ;D ;D

E

Motor driver and MCU work fine now, the big next steep is to make all this fit nice in my console which is not so easy.
Making it "generic" is another thing, I'm far to put this in front of my mind, in the mean time my mind have background task too  ::)
We shall see.
Zam

Hey all
Just a little update, I don't talk that much about this in the past few month.
In fact I take this time to do the best crash test I can :)
Using the system in real situation for a whole album production.
Work rock solid ! (except a little calibration detune, but we get some very hot time here, close to 40°C and I don't have air conditioner in the control room)
I use it on the lead vocal, powerful tool for level following (allowing less compression in the mean time), also use it couple of time for de-essing...can't be much transparent.
However it still need some little improvement here an there (especially a dead silent PSU...)
Next step soon, stay tuned  8)
Zam

Improvement of the week:
-opto-isolator for midi mute, transistorized voltage switch of my actual analog mute system.
-analog scaling of servo track + ADC software adjustment + improvement in the calibration method now give me a full range move...100mm.
Before that I have little lose ,around 2mm at top and bottom of the fader, ending in "only" 96mm travel
-new grounding test. Now I run 10bit (1024 step) with very low jitter
-added a startup script for VEGAS mode  :p

I really have to order PCB and front panel soon. Mechanical drawing is over, and everything should fit in the original fader module :-X

Zam

This is superb Zam, well done. 

Though I'm a mastering engineer 98% of the time these days I still mix a few projects and the idea of analogue faders controlled by Pro Tools is really something.

ruairioflaherty said:
the idea of analogue faders controlled by Pro Tools is really something.

sorry... the point is the actual software can't handle the 14bit dual CC data, which is how HUI protocol work.
It work with 14bit pitch bend MCU protocol and PT don't take it :(
And i'm not talking about eucon  :-X

Zam

Zam,

Any more movement on this? I just purchased a new console and would love to DIY some moving fader automation. 

Thanks,

tskguy said:
Zam,

Any more movement on this? I just purchased a new console and would love to DIY some moving fader automation. 

Thanks,

Hi Tskguy
I don't take time to talk that much, I take my time to work on this so yes lot of movement!!!
I will update soon :)
Best
Zam

desperately try to insert img from my dropbox, saw them with preview, but disappear when I save/send the post :(

edit: still don't understand the pb, with pic insert, I will attach pic one by one then
------------------------------------

So here it is  :D

the "89MotioN" system, named because of the studer x89 desk I design it for
With the BIG helped of midibox soft side, the MB_NG system.

first, the fader:
-touch/PID/motor driver pcb ..."89MotoR"
-led/tact switch pcb... "89Remote"
-TKD motor fader
-original Studer fader pcb with interconnection to input unit, fader audio, PFL audio and signaling (still original EAO button)
-custom FP as close as possible to original design

Attachments

• 89MotioN_L.jpg
    89MotioN_L.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 106
everything fit in original Studer x89 desk series fader module.
Schaffer FP with digital print.

Attachments

• 89MotioN_T1.jpg
    89MotioN_T1.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 81
the "89InouT" pcb
-8 10bit AD for servo read
-8 10bit DA for CV PID control
-64 digital in for button
-64 digital out for led, motor bypass and optocoupler remote (in may case controlling the original mute system)

this board run 8 faders and should fit in the armrest.

Attachments

• 89MotioN_IO.jpg
    89MotioN_IO.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 61
line receiver at the back frame,
connected to the 89InouT board with less than 1m ribbons at one side,
and 5m subD25 (up to 10m should be possible) to the line transmitter at the other side
this one it's a midibox design

Attachments

• line_transmiter.jpg
    line_transmiter.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 18
the brain rack
-line transmiter and core STM32 running midibok MB_NG system
-high quality SM psu from vero, 5v for digital, +/- 15v for analogue
should be enough to run 8 motor fader with 2,5A per rail and maybe 16 fader  if they don't all stall at the same time  :-X

Attachments

• 89MotioN_rack.jpg
    89MotioN_rack.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 50
Voilà.

The system run rock solid with the actual setup. It's connected to DAW through MCU protocol, like may other.
I like to name again midibox and the community, which really make this possible in multiple aspect of this project.
And of course all ppl around here who also help.
I'm waiting to fund a full pack of 8 fader, to completely approve the system.
I theory nothing can go wrong...but I need to wait before claiming the first DIY passive motor fader system  :-X

Truly open to comment/suggestion

best
Zam

PS: I will upload video soon :)

Zamproject,
You've done an  incredible job. Congratulations!  I think I can speak for many that this is something I wanted to do and thought about a lot but put off do to how much work was involved (and my personal skill level).  I would love to do something like this to my Soundcraft Ghost.
You should be very proud of yourself.  Amazing job!
Cheers

Hi Zam,

That is incredibly impressive, on every level.  Well done.

Can we help fund getting your 8 channels up and running?  I'd certainly be happy to kick in to help move this along.

Cheers,
Ruairi

Hi

Tks to both of you  :)
Ruairi, I really appreciate the help proposition, but at this stage i'm not sure it's a good idea to involve other's money.
I'm on this since 20 month, I can handle few more month :)
Over all thing this project learn to  me with lot off different kind of knowledge, the most important is patience
Best
Zam

Latest posts

Back