G9 Capacitors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robomatique

Hello,

I am just about to write a part list for the G9 in the UK and I am having some trouble with finding the polyester capacitors with the correct pitch. I have also understood that the quality of many of these capacitors make a big differents.

So:

1. Does anybody have a parts list for the UK / Europe?

2. Could anyone recommend a supplyer in the UK (I normally use Rapid)?

3. Could anyone recommend good quality brand or type of capacitor for these type of applications (really good if they were distributed in europe)?

4. Could I use Metallised polyester, or maybe even metallised polypropylene?

I am totally lost when it comes to these things, so if not for me, please help the G9, I think he is worth the right capacitors.

Robert

[quote author="robomatique"]1. Does anybody have a parts list for the UK / Europe?[/quote]
No, I just look through my drawers where I can probably find 99% of the needed caps :grin:

2. Could anyone recommend a supplyer in the UK (I normally use Rapid)?
Farnell has a huge selection of caps in their catalogue - you can find caps with almost any needed pitch. RS is another good source. Neither of them are cheap, but you can get all the parts from them (and in small quantities).

3. Could anyone recommend good quality brand or type of capacitor for these type of applications (really good if they were distributed in europe)?
4. Could I use Metallised polyester, or maybe even metallised polypropylene?
I would use polypropylene or metallised polypropylenes (MKP/FKP). You can get good types from Philips (BC), Rifa, Wima, Epcos and more.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Thanks guys, I will see what I can find.

Another one: Should I use as high quality as I can afford on the potentiometer, or could I use a cheaper one? Would it be worth the mone spending 10 bucks on one?

Robert

[quote author="rafafredd"]Well, Jakob always recommends Polyesters for the G9. Yes, you can try polypropylene...[/quote]
But it looks like he uses some polypropylenes himself... If you look at the photos on gyraf.dk it looks like half polyester and half polypropylene.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

[quote author="robomatique"]Another one: Should I use as high quality as I can afford on the potentiometer, or could I use a cheaper one?[/quote]
The difference between good pots and expensive ones is usually channel to channel matching. A pot costing £1-2 should be fine.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

[quote author="mcs"]No, I just look through my drawers where I can probably find 99% of the needed caps :grin:[/quote]
I decided to try - assembling a G9 board fealt like a nice thing to do on a sunday afternoon...

This is how far I got using just parts from my "junk box":

G9-part.jpg

I guess my junx box is well assorted :green:

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

[quote author="soundguy"]zero ohm resistors.

dave[/quote]

I'm officially uncool, because I got that! That's the type of joke you tell your wife, and she leaves you and slaps a pocket protector on you on the way out the door.

That makes me give a big geeky thumbs up! :thumb:

Hi Jakob, i buyed for an error a couple of this caps, can I use in G9?
http://homepage.mac.com/tamtamstudio/PhotoAlbum13.html

It can be enough the caps voltage?

polypro or polyester, they are both excellent caps. I hear that metallized ones aren't as good for audio coupling but i haven't been able to HEAR a difference myself. polypro will give a slightly clearer sound, polyester will give a more smooth sound when used as audio coupling caps, however the sound is so slight that you would need a whole channel of nothing but either to start to hear the difference.. so use whichever you can get and you will be happy with either!

i can only get some Polyesters via Farnell and they only seem to stock PANASONIC'S, are these any good? I've seen messages concerning different brands, so i wonder?
(it's the interstage, output DC coupling, gain DC coupling, SRPP ouput, stabilisors and HT stuff)

Cheers,

Tony

Can crossover caps be used - seen these at cpc.co.uk - part numbers:
CA02439/CA02499/CA02502 or CA02528/CA02537.
These are polypropylene or plastic film caps with a rating of 250VDC, 5% tolerance and the correct pitch spacings.
Can a Lundhall 1517 be used on the output (just salvaged a couple!) - i'll have to make adaptor with verocard.
Finally - can a 317 be used in place of 783 - so some thread from Jakob but i can't find it now! I've just repaired a 2nd purepath and in both cases it looks like the TL783 has crapped out and took the switchmode input with it. I've used them elsewhere and never been sure how reliable they are?

Hi Mikey!

[quote author="mikeyB"]Can crossover caps be used - seen these at cpc.co.uk - part numbers:
CA02439/CA02499/CA02502 or CA02528/CA02537.
These are polypropylene or plastic film caps with a rating of 250VDC, 5% tolerance and the correct pitch spacings.[/quote]

Yes, speaker crossover polyester or polypropylene capacitors are good for our purpose.

[quote author="mikeyB"]
Can a Lundhall 1517 be used on the output (just salvaged a couple!) - i'll have to make adaptor with verocard.[/quote]

I don't think so - but check the specs at Lundahl. I suspect it has too low an inductance to allow proper low-end. But try..

[quote author="mikeyB"]
Finally - can a 317 be used in place of 783 - so some thread from Jakob but i can't find it now! I've just repaired a 2nd purepath and in both cases it looks like the TL783 has crapped out and took the switchmode input with it. I've used them elsewhere and never been sure how reliable they are?[/quote]

No. You NEED a TL783 here - we need it's tolerance to rather high input/output voltage differences. The '783 only craps out if it's not properly protected in the circuit (and we protect it alright - it'll only die if you short the HT supply, which is a bad idea anyways.)

Jakob E.

Latest posts

Back