• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD -- Pair DBX 242 / dbx 242 Project 1 Parametric EQ designed by Bob Orban!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seditionary

Rare parametric EQ pair designed by Bob Orban. Sought after units with great reviews. Original power supplies. These sound beautiful.

I will also include a pair of Mogami cables to correct for phase and balance -- These equalizer are built 3 pin hot (meaning without an adapter cable, using the eq would bring your signal out of phase as most likely, your other gear is 2 pin hot). I built adapter cables to balance the EQs via the schematic on the Jensen white pages to convert the output of the units to 2 pin hot to keep your signals in phase, balanced correctly, and your signals sounding beautiful :)

Also, I know a simple modification on these equalizers recommended by Bob Orban. I can deliver the eqs modded via Bob Orban's specs or can deliver an original factory unit. Your choice :)

I have read great things about these. If I hadn't just picked up a couple of things I would probably sweep them up.  Good luck.

I bought one of these , thought it was decent & good value
do you have a link to the mods you mention ?

Yeah, they are great sounding EQs.  I just got a Dangerous BAX and a Manley and I need the rack space (and some money) now, but I even used the 242s on some mastering work. 

I shorted out the input capacitor on each channel as directed by Bob Orban himself.  I emailed him the photo below, which he later confirmed was the right cap to short out.  The mod just opens up the EQ a bit -- makes it even more transparent to my ears. 

[.img

I just soldered a jumper cable on both leads of the cap -- so can easily undo the mod if you want the EQs stock.  Also will include the Mogami cables I made, which reverse the EQ from 3 to 2 pin hot and trick the output to be balanced (as per the schematic on the Jensen white papers) -- http://www.jensen-transformers.com/an/an003.pdf

Cheers and thanks for all the interest  8)

Latest posts

Back