PM3000... Rack it?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berkleystudios

Hi guys,

Have a lot of PM3000 channel strips available to me ( could have taken the whole console but dont have the room or need)  and I have actually never used it. Would any of yall say that it is worth racking a channel strip or two?  are the eq's any good? all IC and no tranny leave me wondering if I should just let them pass

Adam

berkleystudios said:
Hi guys,

Have a lot of PM3000 channel strips available to me ( could have taken the whole console but dont have the room or need)  and I have actually never used it. Would any of yall say that it is worth racking a channel strip or two?  are the eq's any good? all IC and no tranny leave me wondering if I should just let them pass

I always hated mixing live shows on these things. Haul it all off to the dump.

-a

Andy Peters said:
berkleystudios said:
Hi guys,

-a
thanks for the input! frame already headed there! haha. just didnt know if the Eq's were worth it

Andy Peters said:
berkleystudios said:
Hi guys,

-a

+1

Dump-Dee Dump-Dee-Dump

GARY

They weren't thrilling-sounding, but I *loved* them as festival boards.

And they saved my ass more than once. -Very predictable, and a useful parametric EQ. -Never going to set the world on fire with 'character', but a very reliable, solid live board. They worked, and they did what it said on the tin.

Transformers aren't needed everywhere... but it depends what you're looking for. -You didn't say.

If you're looking for character, nothing to see here... move along. -But if you want a handy EQ that can do some semi-surgical signal solution... they're useful for that.

SSLtech said:
They weren't thrilling-sounding, but I *loved* them as festival boards.

And they saved my ass more than once. -Very predictable, and a useful parametric EQ. -Never going to set the world on fire with 'character', but a very reliable, solid live board. They worked, and they did what it said on the tin.

Transformers aren't needed everywhere... but it depends what you're looking for. -You didn't say.

If you're looking for character, nothing to see here... move along. -But if you want a handy EQ that can do some semi-surgical signal solution... they're useful for that.

I totally with Keith,
I've mixed a lot of concerts on this desks,  and they always performed, doenst sound like a Midas Heritage of course, but  had a good sound for live work, and the EQ's were good and useful.

Nowadays any DAW has surgical EQ's and more powerfull than any desk, since you can have as many as you want in series, so for surgical tasks in the studio I always rely on plugins.

If I had PM300 channel strips for free I would rack them if:
-I needed more pres and couldn't afford the components on a Neve 1290, API 312, SSL9K
-if I wanted to learn how to rack channel strips
-If I had the time
-If having outboard channel strips with a solid and useful EQ was needed

I would not rack if:
-I wanted the best mic preamp
-If I was looking for color or character
-If I had no time , and racking channel strips was not challenging to me

By the way if you know anyone giving away pm3000 channel strips for free I will gladly take 2

Hope this helps
regards

Tiago

If you rack it then make sure that you resolder the black thickfilm chips. The main problem of this desk IME is that the solderjoints of these chips turn into cold ones due to the heat.

Latest posts

Back